News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

A Game of Thrones (Full of spoilers!)

Started by Sandra Craft, May 28, 2012, 10:48:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandra Craft

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 24, 2016, 11:21:54 PM

Books, you didn't miss much, it was just one the actors examining his penis and exclaiming that he grew another wart. :lol: Quick scene and most probably null in the greater scheme.

I remember somebody talking about that, but I did not see a thing.  Thank you, selective blindness.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Asmodean

Quote from: Crow on May 24, 2016, 07:03:10 PM
Poor hold the door.
Yes, but then... That's what he apparently was for since teenage years. Even changed his name from... Don't remember; Fred or some such.

He was one of the bare handful of characters I didn't have a sadistic desire to see dead, but particularly surprising it was not. Still, one does wish they killed him in a more convincing or, at the very least, less unnecessary manner.

EDIT: Just so I have something to compare with as the series progresses, because the following list is somewhat dynamic, the other characters I would not mind to make it for now are:

The Dwarf. He's still basically me on a good day, only a dwarf. And more entertaining. Yes, he may live.
The elderly Tyrell (?) lady. A kindly grandmother capable of poisoning your ass to a snotty and blue-colored death. Gotta approve of that.
Daenerys' stalker, whos name I never bothered to learn, but who seems acceptable enough.
Arya... At least for now.
The tall lady knight... Brienne? Also, her sidekick.
The king kid, although grow the fuck up or get the fuck off His Divine Survivor-list.

These are off His Divine Survivor-list:
Daenerys. (Was actually never really on the list - she seems like a power-hungry bitch who knows your best better than you do.)
Bran. I suspect he might actually make it all the way through the series, but he's beginning to generate too many "oh, come the FUCK on!" moments with me.
John Snow. Because fuck his broody-ass... Ass.
Sansa. Also never actually on the list, although she actually has a chance of getting on it eventually if she continues her progression from an absolute bitch to a likeable character with an interesting story ark.
Ramsay. Because fuck that psychopathic dick. (Hat off to the actor though. Very well done)
The one-armed Lannister. No reason - I just plainly dislike him.
The ex-queen, although she has a minor chance of returning to His Gray Grace. The reasons are much the same as with Sansa.

...Did I miss any one still alive who's either likeable or vastly annoying? Ah, yes, Uncle Peter. I'm kind of ambivalent to his fate. I think he's more annoying than entertaining, but not completely sure. Same with the weird Italian-looking lord-of-the-skydoor-castle kid.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Asmodean on May 25, 2016, 07:47:03 AM

...Did I miss any one still alive who's either likeable or vastly annoying?

What about:

Davos Seaworth (currently with Jon Snow, used to be Stannis' right hand man)

The Red Witch (the first one, not the second one)

Dolorous Edd (the guy Jon left in charge of the Night's Watch)

Grey Worm and his girlfriend whose name I can't remember or pronounce

Varys (the eunuch)

Margaery (the boy King's girl Queen)

. . . her brother Loris

Yarra and/or Theon Greyjoy

Jaquen (the head Faceless Man)

Tormund (the Wildling who keeps eyeing Brienne of Tarth)

The Night's King

Sandy

Asmodean

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on May 25, 2016, 09:40:36 AM
What about:
Excellent! Several names there that just need to be listed - one way or the other.

Davos Seaworth. I find him likeable, yet not significant enough to really care about his fate at this point. He is basically outside the list system for now, but if I had to make a ruling, I'd let him live.

The Red Witch. Kill her. Despite some redeeming qualities, she's not on His Divine survivor list.

Dolorous Edd. See Ser Davos, only with the opposite leaning.

Grey Worm and his girlfriend whose name I can't remember or pronounce. Them I find insufferable. I kind of liked them a season ago, but as I said, my lists of this nature are dynamic.

Varys. Entertaining, but annoying. Kill him, though with a very narrow margin. I'd settle for death, but not of the highly sadistic variety, for him.

Margaery. Power hungry whore with several redeeming qualities. Tough call if I have to make one, but I don't really care.

. . . her brother Loris. Is he the gay and friendly knight guy who unhorsed the huge and unfriendly knight guy some seasons ago? If so, then I don't care in the slightest. He's outside the list system with little chance of making it in one way or the other.

Yarra and/or Theon Greyjoy. Keep the sister, kill the brother. I wouldn't mind giving them a little less screen time to be honest, as I find them rather boring. Alive or dead though... I don't really care enough.

Jaquen. Is already dead, and yet he is not. Benefits of no-oneness, I suppose. The assassins are interesting, so although my survivor list seems inapplicable to them, I don't mind it when they get screen time.

Tormund the Norwegian Guy. Whatever. Let him get more important, then I might make a ruling.

The Night's King. Cool, but I've seen better bad guys. I'm not sure you can call him alive or dead though... More like "existing". Let him... for now.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Asmodean

Oh! That religious asshole who dresses in rags. Murder his preachy ass soon, please. He's sucking the life out of my fun every second of screen time he gets.

...although he does provide some parallels to our world which we all have the misfortune of inhabiting that are just too good not to be appreciated.

...But someone do please murder his ass slowly for His Divine Amusement.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Sandra Craft

Poor hold the door.
Yes, but then... That's what he apparently was for since teenage years. Even changed his name from... Don't remember; Fred or some such.

Willis.

QuoteHe was one of the bare handful of characters I didn't have a sadistic desire to see dead, but particularly surprising it was not. Still, one does wish they killed him in a more convincing or, at the very least, less unnecessary manner.

EDIT: Just so I have something to compare with as the series progresses, because the following list is somewhat dynamic, the other characters I would not mind to make it for now are:

I probably should have addressed this before submitting my list of names for Divine consideration.

QuoteThe Dwarf. He's still basically me on a good day, only a dwarf. And more entertaining. Yes, he may live.

Whew.  That was a close one.

QuoteThe elderly Tyrell (?) lady. A kindly grandmother capable of poisoning your ass to a snotty and blue-colored death. Gotta approve of that.

Lady Olenna Tyrell, the Poison Queen.  Love Diana Rigg in this role.

QuoteDaenerys' stalker, whos name I never bothered to learn, but who seems acceptable enough.

Do you mean Jorah Mormont, the one who now has the deadly skin condition?  A decent guy but a bit of a sad sack.

QuoteArya... At least for now.

She used to be one of my favorites, now I'm actually starting to like her sister more and I never thought that would happen.

QuoteThe tall lady knight... Brienne? Also, her sidekick.

Brienne of Tarth, and her squire Podrick Payne.  Love those two, they're like a comedy act.

QuoteThe king kid, although grow the fuck up or get the fuck off His Divine Survivor-list.

Tommen, I don't know if he deserves much consideration.  He's one of those people who's always influenced by the last person they talk to, which is why I think Margaery should be kept around to become the last person who ever influences him.  She's a vixen, but I think she's also well on her way to becoming a younger Olenna.  I say give her time.

QuoteThese are off His Divine Survivor-list:
Daenerys. (Was actually never really on the list - she seems like a power-hungry bitch who knows your best better than you do.)

She's remarkably easy on the eyes tho.

QuoteBran. I suspect he might actually make it all the way through the series, but he's beginning to generate too many "oh, come the FUCK on!" moments with me.

Well, he's a Stark -- brave and noble but not much brains.

QuoteJohn Snow. Because fuck his broody-ass... Ass.

Also handicapped by Starkness -- tho I suspect he's got a Stark mother rather than a Stark father.

QuoteSansa. Also never actually on the list, although she actually has a chance of getting on it eventually if she continues her progression from an absolute bitch to a likeable character with an interesting story ark.

Yeah, never thought I'd see the day when I started to like Sansa Stark, tho I think she suffers from the usual Stark shortcomings along with being unduly influenced by Littlefinger.

QuoteRamsay. Because fuck that psychopathic dick. (Hat off to the actor though. Very well done)

I can do nothing but admire your godly discernment here.  I think the actor playing the father, Roose, also did a wonderful job with a completely thankless character.

QuoteThe one-armed Lannister. No reason - I just plainly dislike him.

Jaime is actually only one-handed.  And like Dany, he is extremely easy on the eyes.

QuoteThe ex-queen, although she has a minor chance of returning to His Gray Grace. The reasons are much the same as with Sansa.

Cersai, who has the Stark's failings with none of their virtues.  I've been voting her off the show from day one.

Quote...Did I miss any one still alive who's either likeable or vastly annoying? Ah, yes, Uncle Peter. I'm kind of ambivalent to his fate. I think he's more annoying than entertaining, but not completely sure. Same with the weird Italian-looking lord-of-the-skydoor-castle kid.

I want to keep Littlefinger around just on the hopes that he'll kick Robin Arryn thru the skydoor soon enough.
Sandy

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Asmodean on May 25, 2016, 01:48:24 PM
Oh! That religious asshole who dresses in rags. Murder his preachy ass soon, please. He's sucking the life out of my fun every second of screen time he gets.

...although he does provide some parallels to our world which we all have the misfortune of inhabiting that are just too good not to be appreciated.

...But someone do please murder his ass slowly for His Divine Amusement.

I was just about to ask that the High Sparrow be put on one of the lists!  I'm glad he's on the kill list -- I love the actor playing him, but the character is even more annoying than those Red Witches.

Oh, I did just think of more people -- the assorted Sand Snakes, what about them?
Sandy

Asmodean

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on May 25, 2016, 02:05:30 PM
Willis.
Bruce! Not Fred. Yes, yes, that makes more sense.

QuoteDo you mean Jorah Mormont, the one who now has the deadly skin condition?  A decent guy but a bit of a sad sack.
Yes. Also, yes.

QuoteShe used to be one of my favorites, now I'm actually starting to like her sister more and I never thought that would happen.
Agreed. Therefor, the "for now".

QuoteTommen, I don't know if he deserves much consideration.  He's one of those people who's always influenced by the last person they talk to, which is why I think Margaery should be kept around to become the last person who ever influences him.  She's a vixen, but I think she's also well on her way to becoming a younger Olenna.  I say give her time.
He's sort of a major character, Tommen is... But something tells me he'll end up dead as yesterday's dinner eventually. My biggest problem with him is that he doesn't seem to act his age for the sort of society he lives in. Or maybe he's just weak, in which case his almost-inevitable demise will be well and truly deserved. For now though, he hath not pissethd The Asmo off enough for Him to stick him on the death list.

QuoteShe's remarkably easy on the eyes tho.
Yes. Although I do wish a sadistic death upon her (something I'm highly unlikely to get), I'd prefer it involved her being naked and remaining largely in one piece.

QuoteI can do nothing but admire your godly discernment here.  I think the actor playing the father, Roose, also did a wonderful job with a completely thankless character.
Isn't it remarkable how otherwise likeable people manage to pull off such dislikable roles so well?

QuoteAnd like Dany, he is extremely easy on the eyes.
Fine! A naked sadistic death for that one as well.  >:(

QuoteCersai, who has the Stark's failings with none of their virtues.  I've been voting her off the show from day one.
Mmmh... Well... There is something to be said for her in season 6. I would not jump on her grave just yet. Give her a few more episodes to prove me wrong first...

I want to keep Littlefinger around just on the hopes that he'll kick Robin Arryn thru the skydoor soon enough.
We have seen very little of Robin (That be the Italian-looking kid, yes?) this season, but what we have seen smells of  absent-mindedness and a whole host of personality disorders. An arrow through the eye. That's how that one should go out. On the other hand, last we saw him, he was pretty much sucking his mothers boob at the tender age of... What? Like... 10? So yeah... I'm inclined to give his character some episodes to grow the fuck up.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Asmodean

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on May 25, 2016, 02:08:50 PM
Oh, I did just think of more people -- the assorted Sand Snakes, what about them?
The assorted whatwherenow?

I honestly have no idea who they are. Are they in any way major or otherwise important? Because if not, I don't care, but I'd be entertained by seeing them die horribly.  :P
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Crow

Poor hold the door.

He was one of the bare handful of characters I didn't have a sadistic desire to see dead, but particularly surprising it was not. Still, one does wish they killed him in a more convincing or, at the very least, less unnecessary manner.

But that was what made it sad, essentially he was brain damaged the majority of his life by the person who then forced him to die so he could live. That is a pretty fucked up existence.
Retired member.

Pasta Chick

Tommen is doomed by prophecy. "A queen you shall be, 3 children you will have and gold will be their shrouds" or something of that nature.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Asmodean on May 25, 2016, 03:31:51 PM
Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on May 25, 2016, 02:08:50 PM
The assorted whatwherenow?

I honestly have no idea who they are. Are they in any way major or otherwise important? Because if not, I don't care, but I'd be entertained by seeing them die horribly.  :P

You remember that beautiful guy who got killed so horribly by the Mountain while fighting in some sort of trial by gladiator thing for Tyrion?  The Sand Snakes are his concubine and their 4 or 5 kids (not sure of the number, in the books it's 8 ).  When last seen the Sand Snakes were killing the ruling family of Dorne and taking over.

And using my new powers of gif, here are two of the Snakes fighting what I think is an Imperial house guard:

Sandy

Guardian85

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on May 25, 2016, 10:20:42 PM
You remember that beautiful guy who got killed so horribly by the Mountain while fighting in some sort of trial by gladiator thing for Tyrion?  The Sand Snakes are his concubine and their 4 or 5 kids (not sure of the number, in the books it's 8).  When last seen the Sand Snakes were killing the ruling family of Dorne and taking over.

And using my new powers of gif, here are two of the Snakes fighting what I think is an Imperial house guard:

That's Bronn. He was the first person to fight for Tyrion in Trial by Combat at the Eyre. He then became his bodyguard until he became the ;literally, disarmed Jamie's sword instructor and travelling companion.

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on May 25, 2016, 02:05:30 PM
Do you mean Jorah Mormont, the one who now has the deadly skin condition?  A decent guy but a bit of a sad sack.
I wonder why he hasn't had someone hack the infected limb off yet.
I kinda identify with him. What with the whole unrequited love thing he has going.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Asmodean

Quote from: Guardian85 on May 26, 2016, 01:06:40 AM
That's Bronn. He was the first person to fight for Tyrion in Trial by Combat at the Eyre. He then became his bodyguard until he became the ;literally, disarmed Jamie's sword instructor and travelling companion.
Nono, that one lives, does he not? I'd like the merc to continue doing so if he does, actually.

I kinda identify with him. What with the whole unrequited love thing he has going.
I sense there might be a story behind that..?
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Guardian85 on May 26, 2016, 01:06:40 AM

Oh yeah!  It's been so long since I've seen Bronn I'd forgotten about him, or that he was part of that doomed rescue-the-Princess adventure. 

I wonder why he hasn't had someone hack the infected limb off yet.

Maybe that's been tried before by others and failed?  I can't remember the discussions they had over trying to cure Shireen.

QuoteI kinda identify with him. What with the whole unrequited love thing he has going.

Yeah, I kind of identify with him too but that makes me sad.

Sandy