News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Flipped Education?

Started by Buddy, December 08, 2011, 06:22:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buddy

This year our school started this program called "Flipped Education". We all got our own school issued Macbooks and we use these instead of textbooks. The biggest difference is that students will watch a podcast at night when they are home and work on their homework during class.

I'm a little mixed on where I stand on this. I do like the fact that I get the whole class period to do my work and that the teacher is there if I need them. But, because we use the Internet for textbooks and quizzes/ tests every class period, the school Internet is very sluggish and crashes often. This was a huge problem during Finals week, when the whole school was online at the same time. I remember that our Internet crashed in the middle of our history finals and we had to start over again, which took time away for our study period.

I feel like this is a good thing, there are just so many problems that need to be worked out.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Asmodean

I imagine this will neatly sort those willing to work for their diploma from those who need to be pushed to do anything at all productive... Which can be a double-edged sword, because some of those lazy asses may eventually become quite brilliant at whatever they choose to do, given that enough pushing is applied.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Buddy

Quote from: Asmodean on December 08, 2011, 06:24:55 PM
I imagine this will neatly sort those willing to work for their diploma from those who need to be pushed to do anything at all productive... Which can be a double-edged sword, because some of those lazy asses may eventually become quite brilliant at whatever they choose to do, given that enough pushing is applied.

Yes, I have seen that. Mostly the people who are playing games during class.

I guess I like it mostly because I struggle in math and having my teacher there to help me with homework really makes me feel more confident that I am doing the lesson right.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Asmodean

You can also ask us - there is a number of rather nerdy math nerds here.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Buddy

Quote from: Asmodean on December 08, 2011, 06:31:11 PM
You can also ask us - there is a number of rather nerdy math nerds here.

I was just getting ready to post a topic asking for tips on writing a thesis statement  :D

Crow

I like the sound of this, that is how I would have liked school to be structured whilst I was there. It sounds very similar to how university is structured and in my opinion is far superior. Though what I tend to have found was those that did really well in education prior to university didn't do as well and those that weren't as good did better in this environment.
Retired member.

Buddy

It is good so far; there are just a few kinks that need to be worked out before it is considered perfect.