News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Elected U.S. Atheist Politicians

Started by rubberducky, May 22, 2009, 07:12:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rubberducky

Where can I find a list of Openly American Atheist Politicians who took office as senators, congressmen, governors, mayors, generals, cabinet members, or other important positions? How well were they received? Do you think we will ever elect an openly Atheist President in this country?

Tanker

I don't know why but I'm starting to get a puppet vibe off you. It would be nice if you actually stared to have discusions with other posters. Heck it would be nice if you responded to people who responded to you.

Finding a list of openly atheist politicians would be about as likely as finding a list of openly gay polotictians they are both in differnt closets but for similar reasons.
"I'd rather die the go to heaven" - William Murderface Murderface  Murderface-

I've been in fox holes, I'm still an atheist -Me-

God is a cake, and we all know what the cake is.

(my spelling, grammer, and punctuation suck, I know, but regardless of how much I read they haven't improved much since grade school. It's actually a bit of a family joke.

rubberducky

I already responded to other people reply but only if I have knowledge of the topic. I came here to do a little survey and a bit surprised to get a harsh response from people who supposedly like minded people like me. I don't think there is anything wrong with discussing openly Atheist Politicians. That will show just how open our society are. I don't mean to degrade them. Why would I want to? I think like them.

Whitney

Try contacting the Secular Coalition For America for a list:  http://www.secular.org/

From my understanding, the list is very very short but many (she said a number but I forgot) closet atheists in office told Lori Lipman Brown (who use to work for the Secular Coalition) that they were happy with what the Coalition was doing but just couldn't risk their careers to be out.

Tanker

Quote from: "rubberducky"I already responded to other people reply but only if I have knowledge of the topic. I came here to do a little survey and a bit surprised to get a harsh response from people who supposedly like minded people like me. I don't think there is anything wrong with discussing openly Atheist Politicians. That will show just how open our society are. I don't mean to degrade them. Why would I want to? I think like them.

I know it's hard to read emotions from print but I was not intending to be harsh. This forum gets alot of "innocent" surveys and "simple" questions from new posters that turn out not to be or are ultierior in nature. So personally it's a bit hard for me to trust concievabley loaded questions from new members. If you're doing a survey I recomend posting it all at once. Heck the world view "free-thinker" has been a bit muddy in the past. We have had previous Christians who posted as free-thiner not realising it was synonomous with an atheistic view of the world.

I meant no disrespect. It just seems to me if you want to use a forum as a place for your questions you might try joining the community and posting in other peoples threads. Like I said I'm a bit hesitant to trust any new poster who has seemingly innocent questions as the saying goes once burned twice shy. (oh and some theists post under the guise of being an atheist thinking it would change our responses, for the most part that is patently untrue.)
"I'd rather die the go to heaven" - William Murderface Murderface  Murderface-

I've been in fox holes, I'm still an atheist -Me-

God is a cake, and we all know what the cake is.

(my spelling, grammer, and punctuation suck, I know, but regardless of how much I read they haven't improved much since grade school. It's actually a bit of a family joke.

BuckeyeInNC

There is an article in American Humanist magazine about 22 members of the U.S Congress indicating that they did not believe in a God, only one of which gave permission to make that information public.  That man is Pete Stark.

http://www.thehumanist.org/humanist/08_ ... Stark.html

SektionTen

I'd like to say that our country must be in good hands, then. But good leadership for our country depends on more than being an atheist. It depends on having the courage to push things in the direction you believe to be right. Not being cowed into submission by the uneducated, superstitious nut jobs ruining our country.