News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Prophets of Doom

Started by Sophus, March 07, 2011, 07:27:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sophus

Is anyone else watching Prophets of Doom on the History Channel? It's a depressing assortment of end of America theories. Curious to see the reactions from some here.
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

Sophus

No responses eh? Looks like I need a YouTube video. Wonder how long it will stay up before History Channel takes it down....

[youtube:896cf6ix]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKM9gEOxWw4[/youtube:896cf6ix]

Link.
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

Whitney

i don't have cable...so I'm watching the you tube (not sure how long i'll be able to stand it though)

KDbeads

I watched...... and rolled eyes :|
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. - Douglas Adams

xSilverPhinx

I watched the whole thing yesterday. Thought it was a bit over the top, though not overly exaggerated, but all in all a pointless documentary.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Crow

I think its crazy that programs like this are being broadcast, The USA is still such a young country and people are already contemplating its demise.

EDIT: Actually after watching the rest of the program it wasn't so bad, the producers should get a slap around the head for adding a sensationalist spin to the program when that wasn't the intention of the speakers, it was more of a discussion of what are the potential threats that Americans may face that would impeach on peoples lives in a negative way. They should have spent more time on debating solutions to each issue they raise.

Water supplies, economic structure, and energy consumption are massive issues not just for America but the world over and this is where I disagree with the speakers, they talk about localising everything yet the issues are global, localising may solve some of the problems for a short period of time but it would cause isolation. There needs to be a balance between globalism and localism, at the moment it relies too heavily on import in the west and in the east too much on export, while the middle-east is isolated to a high degree. Each country needs to be making, growing and trading locally and internationally. The fact is the economy needs external stimulus to grow but to rely on countries that have a large dependency on importation is a disaster waiting to happen, as there economy will diminish and will start to become localised in a knee jerk reaction, that country will slowly start rebuilding its infrastructures then start exporting to grow again, whilst the country that lost its exportation will move to city business that require importation to flourish as it needs the cheapest production available, eventually with the majority of its money going to other countries weakening there economy creating an endless cycle unless a balance is worked out that supports all sides equally. However there is the other situation if they decide to become isolated the economy will flatten out but never grow so life quality can not improve beyond a certain point, and would therefore start seeing problems that have been seen with communism in the more recent past (China's solution to this was to start exportation).
Retired member.

ThinkAnarchy

I'm just leaving a bookmark right now, so I will get updates and remember to watch it.
"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.