News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Art? Poetry?

Started by 0dan1, December 03, 2007, 11:18:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrosebud

I express my creative side via the sugar arts.  I like it since it's an art form with a deadline.  My other projects (quilts, paintings, and the like) are never quite finished; with cake, I normally have to have it done by a certain time (or if not, it gets moldy after a week or so).  :)

I also sing and dance religiously with the kiddo; not sure that I'd classify them as talents, though.
"Every post you can hitch your faith on
Is a pie in the sky,
Chock full of lies,
A tool we devise
To make sinking stones fly."

~from A Comet Apears by The Shins

bitter_sweet_symphony

QuoteTHE ROAD TO NOWHERE

Inventorying the depths of hell,
Along the road to nowhere.
Sheltered only by the canopy of impending doom,
We pass hand in hand in motionless grace
Through mountains of fear and valleys of doubt.
A path that once took us to heaven,
Has become a long and perilous trek
From the gray of purgatory to the black of the night.
Our cries echo through the halls of eternity,
As does our pure and broken love.
A fork in the road and we part ways,
On our relentless search for nothing,
On our roads to nowhere.
There was nothing I’d rather have,
And nowhere is where I’d rather be,
Then by your side and in your heart.
Now nothing is what I have,
And nowhere is where I’m going, alone.

"Sheltered only by the canopy of impending doom" ... I have felt this way a couple of times. Thanks for sharing your poem. It's very expressive.

As for me, I too write poems and most of them are dark and morbid stuff. I love music and am learning to play the acoustic guitar (thanks to the people on this forum who helped me out in purchasing one). I am interested in foreign languages and have been trying to learn Spanish for the past 2 years, but unfortunately haven't progressed much.

Smarmy Of One

I make my living as a graphic designer and illustrator. I usually do art direction for film and television productions.

I enjoy painting- watercolour, oil and acrylics for myself. I also play the drums. Not so much anymore, but I was always in some band or other in my 20s and 30s.

I also enjoy writing. I write screenplays. I have a short that I am currently trying to get produced so that I can direct it.

Pretty much any creative avenue, I try to throw my hat in.

BTW, lacey_sawyer, I really like your poem. I'm sure it rings pretty true to a lot of people here. Feel free to share more.

Kona

I have really like photography....genetic influence from my father...and of course Hawaii makes that really easy.  Mostly landscape stuff and macro.  Eventually I would like to do large canvas gallery prints with paint highlights.
Fight Global Warming......Save a Pirate!

McQ

I heartily encourage everyone to share their artistic talents on the forum. If you can write, draw, paint, take photos....whatever....please feel free to post.

Even hobbies or other things you all love, by all means, share it. I am still being impressed by Kyle's ability to work with machinery. He's got some cool stuff he builds, tears apart, refurbishes.

So let's see it!
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

JebusKryst

Used to be in a Rock band in my younger days, playing guitar and singing. These days I spend most of my free time writing for the piano as well as writing variations on the works of my favourite composers. I'm currently going through a Bach stage - which raises a few eyebrowes with friends....especially as I'm currently working on some of his choral works which are normally associated with religion.

McQ

Quote from: "JebusKryst"Used to be in a Rock band in my younger days, playing guitar and singing. These days I spend most of my free time writing for the piano as well as writing variations on the works of my favourite composers. I'm currently going through a Bach stage - which raises a few eyebrowes with friends....especially as I'm currently working on some of his choral works which are normally associated with religion.

Nice to hear. Hey, Bach is ok, even for us heathen dogs! LOL!

I love hearing variations that people have composed. I try to encourage my youngest son (14) to play variations on his favorites too.
--Penn Jillette

SteveS

Personally I'm a fan of Bach's organ music.  I'm a very amateur keyboard player, but about a year ago I downloaded some of his scores and began learning to play (not at a level that would impress anyone) some of them.

I think its perfectly okay to enjoy religiously inspired music and art - to deny this seems like denying our culture.  To enjoy it doesn't mean to believe it.  To put this in a different light, I enjoyed the ancient Greek plays without believing in the Greek gods, so what's the difference?

Smarmy Of One

Thought I'd share a few pieces.

This is a representational self portrait I did a couple of years ago. I don't do this kind of painting much anymore. Sadly, I just don't have the time.

Another self portrait. This is supposed to have a bit of a stained glass feel. Originally, there were supposed to be 5 canvases in the shape of a cross, but I never got back to it.

I'm not in love with myself, I'm just the only one willing to sit still for me for so long.

Here is an illustration I did for a punk record a while ago. Most of my current work is in this style.

McQ

Quote from: "Smarmy Of One"Thought I'd share a few pieces.

These are really impressive pieces! Really!!!

I cannot imagine you would have difficulty selling paintings if you were so inclined. Outstanding....Bravo!
--Penn Jillette

Sophie

In my younger days, I used to write.  Somewhere along the way, I was poisoned with the idea that all work should be productive.  Damn religion.  Now, I'm trying to find hobbies.  That sound so f'ing pathetic.  My hubby gave me a nice digital camera for Christmas, so maybe I'll learn more about photography.

I'm so impressed with everyone!  :)
Theology is never any help; it is searching in a dark cellar at midnight for a black cat that isn't there.  -- Robert A Heinlein, Job: A Comedy of Justice

McQ

Just throw this one in for fun. Photography plus PhotoShop=Fun.

--Penn Jillette

Smarmy Of One

That's some seamless PS work. Nice job!

Is it just me, or are teenagers all looking alike these days?

McQ

Quote from: "Smarmy Of One"That's some seamless PS work. Nice job!

Is it just me, or are teenagers all looking alike these days?

:D

I had a lot of people believing I have quadruplets. Thanks. I have to give my son credit. He was a good sport about posing for me. Did another one with my 17 year old son, and he wasn't as patient. My revenge will come when he asks for money for college.  :lol:
--Penn Jillette

Smarmy Of One

QuoteMy revenge will come when he asks for money for college.

LOL!

McQ Jr. "Dad, I want to go to college and become a doctor."

McQ "That's nice, Son. I've been waiting to have this talk. Remember that time when . . ."

:D