Just chip all true Americans.
Scanners everywhere always
The wrong can be identified
YYs it not been done already?
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Apathy on January 26, 2017, 06:03:54 AM
Quote from: Pasta Chick on January 26, 2017, 12:56:59 AM
I heard a radio interview with a member of border patrol today. He said it wouldn't be an actual wall but that "wall" was basically being used to mean "fence". Which is admittedly stupid and he was not behind that either.

Isn't there already a fence?

In some places, but actually a very small portion of the full length of the river is fenced.  Trump has promised an impenetrable wall along the full length. 

Dave

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on January 26, 2017, 12:28:13 PM
I heard a radio interview with a member of border patrol today. He said it wouldn't be an actual wall but that "wall" was basically being used to mean "fence". Which is admittedly stupid and he was not behind that either.

In some places, but actually a very small portion of the full length of the river is fenced.  Trump has promised an impenetrable wall along the full length.

"Impenetrable" is very dificult and very, very expensive.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Gloucester on January 26, 2017, 12:39:21 PM

It's actually impossible.  Trump is acting like a medieval lord in a castle.  Walls haven't been part of a well-planned defense for quite some time. 

Dave

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on January 26, 2017, 05:23:19 PM
Quote from: Gloucester on January 26, 2017, 12:39:21 PM

It's actually impossible.  Trump is acting like a medieval lord in a castle.  Walls haven't been part of a well-planned defense for quite some time.

Yeah, not much resists a few pounds of dynamite in a remote place!

And, as has been said, there are other ways.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Ecurb Noselrub

My letter to the editor got published in the Dallas Morning News ,- biggest market yet.

Icarus

I like the dynamite way Gloucester. There is also Plastique, composition C, and/or fertilizer and diesel fuel based  persuasion.  If we piss off the Mexicans enough they can lob bombs or stink projectiles over the wall or through the wall as the case may be. .

In fact, according to todays news, the Mexican main political powers are thoroughly annoyed with the bully behavior of our new Emporer.  They have said as much emphatically.  It occurred to me that the Emporer may now tell Canada that they must pay for at least half of the southern border wall. Then we will have the Canadians laughing at us too.

Firebird

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on January 26, 2017, 10:54:39 PM
My letter to the editor got published in the Dallas Morning News ,- biggest market yet.

Link?
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Firebird on January 27, 2017, 02:36:09 AM
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on January 26, 2017, 10:54:39 PM

Link?

http://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/letters-to-the-editor

Look to the right for the letters.  By the way, the photo in the background is Santa Elena Canyon in Big Bend National Park.  This link will probably be good for only today.

Recusant

Hmm, I used the link, but I had to click on another to bring up the letter (though yours was good, and that image is impressive). Well done! Concise and makes excellent points.

Maybe this link will work for a bit longer: "Opposing the wall, market competition, school ratings, DISD savings, fact checking, judging Trump" | The Dallas Morning News
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Recusant on January 27, 2017, 03:18:22 AM
Hmm, I used the link, but I had to click on another to bring up the letter (though yours was good, and that image is impressive). Well done! Concise and makes excellent points.

Maybe this link will work for a bit longer: "Opposing the wall, market competition, school ratings, DISD savings, fact checking, judging Trump" | The Dallas Morning News

It had to be concise - 200 word limit!

Dredge

There is a wise old saying: "Good fences make good neighbours".   So imagine how much better than a fence a huge wall would be!  The Trumpster's Great Wall of Texas - the next Wonder of the World.  It will pay for itself by attracting millions of tourists. 
Follow the evidence wherever it leads.

Asmodean

...More like millions of fines for tagging and other vandalism, but coin is coin.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Dredge

Will a wall work?  Don't they have ladders and ropes in Mexico?
Follow the evidence wherever it leads.

Asmodean

Not to mention explosives, tunneling equipment and like... Buses and air planes.

Yes, a wall can be somewhat effective, but in order to be so, it will require a mahussive and vastly expensive support infrastructure. It will need an array of tunneling sensors and teams of people monitoring and servicing them, structure maintenance crews, patrol personnel, swarms of lookout drones with ground crews, access roads and so on and so forth. At a certain point, one has to ask if it's the physical wall doing the work at all, or rather, how much work in the whole "organism" it does or saves others from doing.

Look at prisons for examples of effective walls. They are there to prevent people who have no anti-wall equipment from getting away, and yet even those walls get breached from time to time. Keeping someone with access to a hardware store and a chemistry textbook on the "correct" side is much more difficult.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.