News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Principal Proclivity: Procrastination Problem Persists

Started by xSilverPhinx, November 18, 2018, 08:19:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

The first step towards fixing a problem is realising that it is a problem. I've known for years that I'm an incurable procrastinator but don't seem to have come closer to finding ways to mitigate it. Deadlines loom and sometimes pass and I end up feeling frustrated with myself for staying up late to make up for days doing other things, and especially when I am unable to meet the deadline. Those are the worst.

I feel tired, and burnout scares me.

Things I've tried:

1) Less work. Since things I need to do for school have increased considerably, I've turned jobs away so that I focus and preserve my energy. However, since less work means less money I don't know how long I'll be able to keep that up.

2) Reward system. The idea is to externally motivate me to get things done in chunks. I finish a piece and I watch an episode (or binge-watch several  :-[ ) of some show on Netflix or play some Mahjong or Bejewelled or something. This system is not working as well as I had hoped.

3) Taking perfectionism down a notch. While this may seem like a strength to some, to me it keeps me from even starting something for fear of it not turning out as I want it to. Like now. I have to rectify my research project and I just keep staring at the page until I find something else to do.

:Gaah:

It's like I only function under pressure. Having to turn something in the next day I stay up all night if I have to. Not having that added stress means nothing happens.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

jumbojak

I don't know what to tell you. I have the same problem, letting things go that I need to get done. It always feels good to get something done early, or at all, but the positive motivation doesn't overcome the apathy.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on November 18, 2018, 08:24:24 PM
I don't know what to tell you. I have the same problem, letting things go that I need to get done. It always feels good to get something done early, or at all, but the positive motivation doesn't overcome the apathy.

Yes, exactly that!  :(

No one

I often want to procrastinate, I just never get around to it.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: No one on November 18, 2018, 08:42:44 PM
I often want to procrastinate, I just never get around to it.

It's always an item on my 'To do' list.

hermes2015

I am terribly lazy and always hate it when I have to do certain things, like write reports. I cope by starting as long as possible before the deadline and then do the job in micro steps. That way I literally only work at it a few minutes every session, which could once a day with a far-off deadline. It's amazing how effortlessly an unpleasant task gets done this way. When I started my PhD project, I started writing up in the first week of the 3 years it took me. As time passed, I added a bit every few days, which also made it possible to revise continually. Most of the other PhD researchers were in a mad panic when they were writing up at the end of their projects, but for me it was a breeze.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

If it's important post about it here and we'll nag you :grin:
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: hermes2015 on November 19, 2018, 03:54:38 AM
I am terribly lazy and always hate it when I have to do certain things, like write reports. I cope by starting as long as possible before the deadline and then do the job in micro steps. That way I literally only work at it a few minutes every session, which could once a day with a far-off deadline. It's amazing how effortlessly an unpleasant task gets done this way. When I started my PhD project, I started writing up in the first week of the 3 years it took me. As time passed, I added a bit every few days, which also made it possible to revise continually. Most of the other PhD researchers were in a mad panic when they were writing up at the end of their projects, but for me it was a breeze.

That's a good tactic for getting things done. I think I may have to change the way I deal with these tasks that quickly become problems in a painless way, like you have done.

xSilverPhinx

xSilverPhinx

I slept all afternoon. So much for being productive. :headshake:

xSilverPhinx

I've been dividing tasks into smaller chunks and setting more realistic goals according to available time and energy. So far it seems to be working. Let's see how long I can keep this up.   

xSilverPhinx

Oh boy, today is not going to be a productive day!

Even my 8-Ball says so.

jumbojak

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

xSilverPhinx

xSilverPhinx

Yeah, today wasn't productive at all, but I'm not feeling too frustrated over it. It's almost midnight so I'm off to bed, hopefully I'll be able to get some shuteye though I doubt it, too much caffeine circulating in my system.

:offtobed: