Main Menu

Need help with a computer booting issue

Started by Amicale, April 05, 2012, 04:40:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amicale

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on April 05, 2012, 06:27:14 PM
Quote from: Amicale on April 05, 2012, 05:58:02 PM
LOL, just tell me where to send 'em and they'd be on their way. Seriously.  ;D

Your nearest Seventh Day Adventist youth group...  haha.  Jus-joshin'.

I'm glad a few stabs did the trick.  :)

I'm glad a few stabs did the trick, too!  ;D

Tell you what, my kiddo and I will bake some cookies that she can take to her next playgroup. There's one child there with SDA parents. Close enough, right?   :D

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Amicale on April 05, 2012, 06:58:36 PM
Tell you what, my kiddo and I will bake some cookies that she can take to her next playgroup. There's one child there with SDA parents. Close enough, right?   :D

Watch out...those SDA's are a shady bunch...they may think you are looking to be converted.  :)

Amicale

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on April 05, 2012, 08:07:21 PM
Quote from: Amicale on April 05, 2012, 06:58:36 PM
Tell you what, my kiddo and I will bake some cookies that she can take to her next playgroup. There's one child there with SDA parents. Close enough, right?   :D

Watch out...those SDA's are a shady bunch...they may think you are looking to be converted.  :)

Nah, no way. I'm the one giving the cookies out. They're magical. If you bite into an AtheistCookieTM, its delicious goodness slides down your throat and you suddenly acquire the mad desire to read Christopher Hitchens...  ;D

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

Asmodean

That there error is pretty common with certain laptop manufacturers (Naming no names...) and has several potential causes, from unnatural screen resolution to catastrophic hardware failure (Macs get that too, for those who would try to use this as advertisment for that, due to shared component manufacturers with the rest of the IT world)

Whatever you do, do NOT install that anti-spyware crap the Internet is full of these days unless you are sure that spyware is the cause of the problem. If you know what you are doing on the web, it probably is not.

If you do get some sort of spyware removal tool other than that bundled in your antivirus, make sure it's a good and proper one and not one of the many scams.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Amicale on April 05, 2012, 08:39:41 PM
Nah, no way. I'm the one giving the cookies out. They're magical. If you bite into an AtheistCookieTM, its delicious goodness slides down your throat and you suddenly acquire the mad desire to read Christopher Hitchens...  ;D

A bit of Hitchens mixed in with a stereotypical SDA would probably be a good thing.  

Whitney

When you decide to update from vista to 7...buy a full install of 7.  If you just update all the crap from vista will migrate over and cause problems when using 7.  I know this from experience.  I can't let my computer hibernate because of it (hibernate leads to a 'rare' glitch where it loses the hibernation recovery point and makes you go through a long system check process); only solution is to buy a full install of windows 7 and wipe the system.  I didn't even want vista, I just had to get a computer to work and couldn't wait a few months till 7 was released.  I'm just glad I have free tech support with my service plan; but that ends in like June or something when the plan expires; at least now it's not my main work computer as I have a company laptop now.

Amicale

Quote from: Whitney on April 06, 2012, 03:44:24 AM
When you decide to update from vista to 7...buy a full install of 7.  If you just update all the crap from vista will migrate over and cause problems when using 7.  I know this from experience.  I can't let my computer hibernate because of it (hibernate leads to a 'rare' glitch where it loses the hibernation recovery point and makes you go through a long system check process); only solution is to buy a full install of windows 7 and wipe the system.  I didn't even want vista, I just had to get a computer to work and couldn't wait a few months till 7 was released.  I'm just glad I have free tech support with my service plan; but that ends in like June or something when the plan expires; at least now it's not my main work computer as I have a company laptop now.

Thank you! Yikes, sorry about the issues you've had, but I really appreciate you warning me in advance! When I finally do get 7, I'll get the full install for sure. Won't be for a bit, though. I just got this laptop this last summer, and I'm not looking to upgrade my OS just yet. Vista seriously makes me miss XP, ha... but yeah, I lean more towards broke than wealthy (a common experience, I'm guessing  :P ), so as long as this laptop holds out, I don't think I'll be upgrading anything, at least for now!

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Whitney on April 06, 2012, 03:44:24 AM
When you decide to update from vista to 7...buy a full install of 7.  If you just update all the crap from vista will migrate over and cause problems when using 7.  I know this from experience.  I can't let my computer hibernate because of it (hibernate leads to a 'rare' glitch where it loses the hibernation recovery point and makes you go through a long system check process); only solution is to buy a full install of windows 7 and wipe the system.  I didn't even want vista, I just had to get a computer to work and couldn't wait a few months till 7 was released.  I'm just glad I have free tech support with my service plan; but that ends in like June or something when the plan expires; at least now it's not my main work computer as I have a company laptop now.

If you have a windows 7 update disk but you want a clean install, it can be done.
You just boot from the win 7 disk go through the install process but don't enter your serial number.
When all is installed get the win 7 disk to run from within windows and go through the process of a clean install.
In other words you have to install win7 twice, enter your serial number only during the second install.
You may have to delete a very large windows old folder when done.
It's not really that dodgy a thing to do, MS recommend it in certain circumstances.

xSilverPhinx

Oh, you mean actual technical stuff. *whistles while quietly leaving the thread*
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Amicale

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 06, 2012, 06:41:19 AM

Oh, you mean actual technical stuff. *whistles while quietly leaving the thread*

LOL, I love it! I was soooo ready to do that last night!  :D

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 06, 2012, 06:41:19 AM

Or you get a Mac and never worry about this stuff again...  ;)

Asmodean

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on April 06, 2012, 03:43:47 PM
OR you can get a proper PC - not some mismatched hardware thing that costs less than half a month's salary.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Ali

Quote from: Asmodean on April 06, 2012, 03:48:56 PM
Quote from: AnimatedDirt on April 06, 2012, 03:43:47 PM
OR you can get a proper PC - not some mismatched hardware thing that costs less than half a month's salary.

I thought the whole "two months salary" thing was for engagement rings, not laptops.  I'm surfing the net on my laptop, not spending my life with it and bearing its children.   ;D ;D ;D

Asmodean

Well, if all you do is graze the Interwebs, pretty much anything will do. If, however, your uses involve something more demanding, I would not recommend a laptop that costs less than about 1500USD (Norwegian prices. From what I hear, 10 to 20% cheaper in States)
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Ali

For $1500 I want more than a laptop.  I want a little robot that cleans my house and gives me hugs when I'm sad.   :D