News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Need help with a computer booting issue

Started by Amicale, April 05, 2012, 04:40:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crow

The problem with 99.9% of PC's no matter how much you spend they are still flipping ugly and a pain in the arse to use.
Retired member.

Asmodean

Quote from: Crow on April 10, 2012, 04:34:51 PM
The problem with 99.9% of PC's no matter how much you spend they are still flipping ugly and a pain in the arse to use.
It's because "99.9%" of time, that's what customers are willing to pay for. You do, after all, get what you pay for.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Crow

Quote from: Asmodean on April 10, 2012, 04:50:17 PM
It's because "99.9%" of time, that's what customers are willing to pay for. You do, after all, get what you pay for.

Listen up people asmo is speaking the truth.
Retired member.

Amicale

Speaking of PC's messing up, mine has an odd problem. Again. (ha, and the number of surprised people: 0 )

My capslock key sometimes randomly decides to reverse its function. I don't know what to make of it. When I hit the key to turn it on, it indicates that capslock is on... and then gives me a lowercase letter. When I turn it off, then it goes to uppercase. Bizarre! It doesn't do it all the time though. Anyone ever have this?

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Amicale on April 11, 2012, 03:58:30 AM
Speaking of PC's messing up, mine has an odd problem. Again. (ha, and the number of surprised people: 0 )

My capslock key sometimes randomly decides to reverse its function. I don't know what to make of it. When I hit the key to turn it on, it indicates that capslock is on... and then gives me a lowercase letter. When I turn it off, then it goes to uppercase. Bizarre! It doesn't do it all the time though. Anyone ever have this?

When I used a PC, I sometimes had this problem.  It was usually some dust and/or food particles getting into the keyboard.  You can normally just pop the key and clean it.  Some keyboards are very simple and others have exposed small springs that may be difficult to get back on just right.  If it isn't the keyboard itself, sometimes just restarting may clear out the problem.

Amicale

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on April 11, 2012, 03:54:19 PM
Quote from: Amicale on April 11, 2012, 03:58:30 AM

When I used a PC, I sometimes had this problem.  It was usually some dust and/or food particles getting into the keyboard.  You can normally just pop the key and clean it.  Some keyboards are very simple and others have exposed small springs that may be difficult to get back on just right.  If it isn't the keyboard itself, sometimes just restarting may clear out the problem.

:) Thanks. Yup, tried cleaning it as best I could (it's a laptop with keys that don't pop out easily) and tried rebooting it. Ah well. I can live with it!  :P

....what I really feel like doing is drop-kicking it through my window!  :D

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

Amicale

Sigh. I'm still having computer issues. I think I'm just going to have to take the blasted thing in and have it fixed, or something. Now when I boot up Windows normally, it's just freezing and not responding properly. I've tried Microsoft Security Essentials, I've tried Avast Anti-Virus (I never run them at the same time of course), I've tried adware and spyware removal programs, I've run all kinds of checks for any of the normal stuff... and it's not picking up any viruses. My drivers SEEM to be up to date... I don't know what it's doing. I'm just loading all of my most important documents onto a flash drive, in case they need to reinstall the whole thing. So, so frustrating... mostly because I use my computer to work from. If I just used it for messing around on, I wouldn't care as much.  >:(

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Amicale on April 12, 2012, 06:30:12 PM
Sigh. I'm still having computer issues. I think I'm just going to have to take the blasted thing in and have it fixed, or something. Now when I boot up Windows normally, it's just freezing and not responding properly. I've tried Microsoft Security Essentials, I've tried Avast Anti-Virus (I never run them at the same time of course), I've tried adware and spyware removal programs, I've run all kinds of checks for any of the normal stuff... and it's not picking up any viruses. My drivers SEEM to be up to date... I don't know what it's doing. I'm just loading all of my most important documents onto a flash drive, in case they need to reinstall the whole thing. So, so frustrating... mostly because I use my computer to work from. If I just used it for messing around on, I wouldn't care as much.  >:(

Sorry that you're having so many problems.  I feel your pain as I was in these kinds of messes all the time with my PC's.  As a Mac only person now, this is where I would go to the Genius Bar for some free fixin'...

Asmodean

Avast was, last I checked, POS.

That said, did I ever mention that I don't think malware is your problem?
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Hector Valdez

*smirk*

You don't have enough ram. Another possible issue is that your graphics card runs out of memory when Xactive is loaded.

*takes geek hat off*

(although, if upgrading ram doesn't work, then it's possibly you have one too many registry errors, in which case a complete re-install is necessary. Ain't windows a bitch?)
Personally, I wouldn't even bother re-installing vista. Go with windows 7.

Amicale

Guess I forgot to mention here. Ended up doing a complete Windows reinstall with Windows 7 home premium. Liking things much, much more now. :)

Firebird

Ah yes, the nuke option. Often works best  ;D
People used to be afraid to tell me they used a Mac, because I do IT and they thought I would mock them. Most of my department opts for Macs over Windows now though. Wish I could switch, but I'm too used to Windows, and they also have better gaming options.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Hector Valdez

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 23, 2012, 09:21:30 PM
Some Thumbs

You know, that would be considered offensive in the Middle east. *O*