News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Intro/Re-intro - Kekerusey

Started by Kekerusey, August 20, 2016, 10:41:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kekerusey

Hi All,

Now I used to be a part of this forum under a different ID, Kyuuketsuki, and I think this wasn't one of those I left in disgrace ... I'm a wee bit opinionated and, in the words of Neytiri, "They are many" :)

More about that later.

I'll try and keep it short but I'm a Brit, raised Catholic now an atheist (being an atheist is an important reflection of who I am), 3rd son of a Scot from the Glasgow tenements who married a young lady from Sussex (she had to covert to marry him). I hated school (Catholic almost all the way), never seemed to quite fit the mould, hated sports (mostly still do but I do some fitness stuff), loved science (still do, it's what made me atheist), hated wood and metalwork but I'm actually quite good at DIY stuff inc. building things. I loved the library, it was the one place I could escape my horrid school life and developed a love for science fiction, my first SF book was Heinlein's "Tunnel In The Sky" and I moved rapidly on to other classic SF authors ... it was from that love of science fiction, written by people who often loved or were involved in it themselves that my real love of science developed.

For a while I believed science, the bible and Von Daniken style aliens were true but, by age 13, I was Catholic in a cultural sense only (still am in some ways) and by the time I left school I'd stopped caring to any great degree ... after all there was clubbing, girls & drink. Musically I started off with soul, got into punk for a while (when punk was a colourful and stylish thing), slid back to dance and reggae before finally sliding into what I call Nu Metal. Sometime during that time I met my wife who for whatever reason has agreed not to dump me for 32 years (more if you include the years we lived together)! Drinks wise I like Brit bitter (the only true beer worth a damn ... what did I tell you about opinionated?) and red wine.

Moving to Kent after my degree in biology I moved into IT and we had two kids, lovely girls, now aged 27 and 21. It was also about then I had my first fling with creationism that finally destroyed any ambivalence I had towards religion, made me aware that fundamentalist theism (with their well-funded organised and influential backing machines) wasn't a joke. I stopped not caring and, almost overnight, became a militant atheist.

I'm a geek and proud of it. I love science fiction, I've grown up reading science fiction, watching science fiction and playing science fiction ... my all-time favourite film used to be Star Wars (Return Of The Jedi), now it's Avatar (which explains the handle). I've liked everything from UFO, to Babylon 5, to Stargate, to Star Trek, Dune, Fifth Element and more (many, many more besides), I go occasionally to conventions but I don't do "cosplay". Not just SF though, I also like RomComs, Marvel, Blade, Underworld, Bourne.  On the subject of Marvel, I loved Iron Man, like the second one, absolutely hated the third and think that "Avengers Assemble" is the best superhero film so far. ON the subject of Star Wars I love it warts and all ... and yes I include the prequels. I like lots of TV series my current favourites being iZombie, Daredevil, The Expanse, Killjoys and I have very much liked Firefly, Dexter and True Blood my all-time favourites being Firefly, Buffy & Babylon 5.
The latest thing in my life is writing, I have always have; for many years I have written short stories, usually related to TV series, films or gaming concepts, fan fiction I suppose and I have been involved in a collaborative story-telling venture; a Babylon 5/Star Trek crossover but when one of our main contributors left it foundered. This is where it gets a little more interesting and relevant to this forum.

I think I was talking to "curiosityandthecat" about my ideas for an online SF story system that people could submit stories to (I was Kyuuketsuki then BTW) but I never got that far and got side-tracked, developing characters, small stories and more. I started to care deeply about the story, the ideas and the characters in my universe and found myself losing the objectivity I felt I needed to act in an editorial capacity. I found myself wanting to tell the story myself and wanting to do so all the time. There were other influences, competitions, a friend writing his own book, "A Song of Ice and Fire" and Harry Turtledove's brilliant alternate history idea so poorly executed I honestly felt anyone could do better.

Suffice to say Book 1, "Stars, Hide Your Fires" the first of a trilogy of books set around "The Abyssal Void", a vast area of space largely devoid of stars, and part of the largest universe I call, "The Extent" is more-or-less complete. I'm just awaiting the cover art and using that time to create a series of appendices but once that's done it should be ready for review and publishing.

So that's it. I haven't been a member of an atheism forum for some considerable time but I was Kyuuketsuki, I now use the handle Kekerusey (which is Na'vi for "undead", or rather "dead, not dead") but I'm actually James Rocks (my author name is JC Rocks) and, with luck some of you may remember me a little fondly.

Keke
J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
The Abyssal Void War Book #1: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Icarus

Recusant

I remember you Kekerusey. You didn't leave in disgrace; you left voluntarily after an argument became rather heated. As far as I'm concerned you're still welcome here, and I look forward to your contributions to this site.

:spagwelcome:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Dave

I think you and I would get on fine over a nice bottle of Merlot, Keke!

Geek-to-geekwise at least.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Asmodean

Quote from: Recusant on August 21, 2016, 06:34:03 AM
I remember you Kekerusey. You didn't leave in disgrace; you left voluntarily after an argument became rather heated. As far as I'm concerned you're still welcome here, and I look forward to your contributions to this site.

:spagwelcome:
Yup. This.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Kekerusey

Quote from: Gloucester on August 21, 2016, 07:06:13 AM

Sold! I think I'd get on well with almost anyone over a bottle of merlot though I would warn you I have the alcoholic tolerance of a peanut ... on the plus side I'm a cheap date (three pints and I'm anybody's) :)

Keke

Dave

Quote from: Kekerusey on August 21, 2016, 07:55:48 AM
Quote from: Gloucester on August 21, 2016, 07:06:13 AM

Sold! I think I'd get on well with almost anyone over a bottle of merlot though I would warn you I have the alcoholic tolerance of a peanut ... on the plus side I'm a cheap date (three pints and I'm anybody's) :)

Keke
Three pints and I'm in tbe loo every ten minutes!

Bloody diuretics  >:(
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Tank

I could have written 70% of your intro about myself! Scrub out the Catholic bit and our backgrounds and likes are spookily similar! Welcome back.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tom62

Welcome back, Keke.
We've got a lot in common as well. I love science fiction, I'm working in IT and I'm a former catholic. 
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

xSilverPhinx

Hello, I don't think we've met. :)

Welcome back to HAF!
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

OldGit

Welcome, he who was formerly called something else but quite similar.  Good to have you back.

Tank

K. Have you bumped into 'Dark Matter'?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Kekerusey

Quote from: Tank on August 21, 2016, 09:15:31 AMI could have written 70% of your intro about myself! Scrub out the Catholic bit and our backgrounds and likes are spookily similar! Welcome back.

Ta :)

Quote from: Tank on August 21, 2016, 07:13:10 PMK. Have you bumped into 'Dark Matter'?

Yeah ... didn't like the first episode muich but my mates rave about it so I've downloaded the first series from Sky and am going to give it a second chance. There's not many series I do that with.

Keke

Kekerusey

Quote from: OldGit on August 21, 2016, 06:50:29 PMWelcome, he who was formerly called something else but quite similar.  Good to have you back.

Kyuuketsuki and thx :)

Both names basically mean "undead", Kyuuketsuki is Japanese and Kererusey is Na'vi, the fictional language of the blue natives in "Avatar" ... "ke" means "not" and "rusey" mean "alive" so it lterally means "not not alive" which, in my head, means undead :)

Yes I was learning a fictional language (actually one of the junior instructors) ... at least until I got kicked out because of my uncompromising attitude on ... er ... religion :)

Keke

Kekerusey