News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Rock fun!

Started by Soren Gregev, April 09, 2011, 05:23:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Soren Gregev

Count them. My finger hovers in the air as I silently mouth out the numbers: "One mossy stone. Two mossy stones. Three mossy stones". Before I know it, these stones, scattered in random positions by a dried up creek bed enter my mind. They rearrange themselves and are transformed into pointlike objects in a row. "One tiny point. Another tiny point. Another tiny point..."

". . ."

F( " " )This is eff. Eff is a cardboard box, found by the creek. It smells of musk and water and rot. Somebody dumped it here, but it'll do. I take a stone. One moss covered stone, and place it in eff.

f(1)This is "eff 1". Eff contains one.

f(foo)What does eff contain? I don't know. Oh foo. Let's find out.

f(foo) = {foo | foo = 1}"Eff foo contains all foo such that foo equals 1"
Oh. There was just one mossy rock inside. I forgot. Silly me.

f( f(peb) + f(foo) ) ) = { {peb | 3 < peb < 15 } {foo | foo = 1} }
I find another tiny box. So I put some pebbles inside, and put them inside the box with the rock.
eff contains 2 effs, which equal all peb such that peb is greater than 3 and less than 15 and equals all foo such that foo is equal to 1.

Now it's your turn to try it!

Evaluate this function:
newf :: func :: {
    f(peb) = { peb | 3 < peb < 15 } ;
    f(foo) = { foo | 4 < foo < 8 } ;
    newef :: f( f(peb) - f(foo) ) ;
} ;

What is the value of newf?

*Hints*

1.The operator to the left of "::" gets the value of the expression to the right of the "::".
2. Think of the boxes and the rocks.

Have fun! :yay:

Tank

I come here to get away from this sort of thing  :mad:
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Soren Gregev

Are you a computer programmer Tank? Wow.

What languages do you know? You must be making a lot more money than minimum wage, although perhaps the endless amounts of computer code can get weary on the eyes... Just how much code do you go through every week? :hmm:

Tank

Quote from: "Soren Gregev"Are you a computer programmer Tank? Wow.

What languages do you know? You must be making a lot more money than minimum wage, although perhaps the endless amounts of computer code can get weary on the eyes... Just how much code do you go through every week? :)  But I know HTML, Java, PHP and MySQL well enough to get by. I'm 51 and have been in the electronics business since I was 17. I'm just finishing a degree in Business Computing then I'm going to be looking for gainful employment as a Business Analyst of some sort, probably a requirements analyst. It's one of the few jobs that value a wide ranging business background on one side and systems/computer knowledge on the other. I also enjoy the job of taking a business requirement and turning it into a working system. I have done statistical analysis consultancy work and during 2008 made a fair pile of cash working for Tarmac building a production system in SAP that optimised the production and distribution systems in the UK. As the kids had left home and my wife could keep as afloat on a day-to-day basis I went back to school.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.