News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Canine epilepsy? Anyone dealing with it?

Started by KDbeads, June 11, 2010, 07:30:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KDbeads

We have finally reached a possible diagnosis for my dane mix and her sudden panic attack like episodes after 2.5 years.  She started displaying a new little tick during an episode a few months back.  We had our anxiety meeting with the vet today and I mentioned it, the flurry of note taking and activity after that little bit of info were mind boggling especially for an old livestock vet.  Then she proceeded to have a minor episode right there in the vet's office, triggered by high pitched equipment.  She has been started on a supplement to see if it helps before we switch over to potassium bromide.

This will be the first animal with seizures I've had here where the seizures aren't caused by sugar swings, luckily it's one of my own and not a rescue so I know her little tail tale signs of the oncoming attack.  Next one I can get the video camera fast enough will be documented for confirmation by the vet.
I'm probably going to be spending the next few days researching this, already have my vet manuals out and have been thumbing through them,  just wanted to see if anyone here has dealt with this and can commiserate.
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. - Douglas Adams

Tank

Fortunately none of our dogs have suffered from this condition so I can't offer an insight for you.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

KDbeads

This is one of those odd cases too, she has fully conscious seizures and partially conscious seizures.  Looks like pshycomotor seizure will be the diagnosis for the more violent ones, the one she had at the vet's was a focal seizure.

It's still flooring me, I wasn't aware that seizures could happen like this.  Now that I've gone through a ton of lit... shit... everything has fallen into place.  It all makes sense now.

And she's been dealing with this for most of her life with us thinking it was a panic disorder or an OCD.
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. - Douglas Adams