News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Workshop and fixit stuff

Started by Dave, July 10, 2017, 07:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Lightning

Nice! I laid a slab in the back yard of my previous house, in small sections that I could mix up in a 1-sack mixing machine. The learning curve was there for all to see.

jumbojak

That's a damn sight better than I could do and that last row looks better than some professional jobs I've seen.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Davin

A slab sounds simple, but any amount of bumbling can easily ruin the whole thing. Most I've ever done with concrete is for posts or pouring it inside walls around rebar, not too difficult compared to a slab.

Thanks, JJ, might not look that great on a closer look but since it's the top part of the wall I think it's good enough.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

jumbojak

I started in my homemade punching bag today. Still have two more tires to bolt on.

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Magdalena

Quote from: jumbojak on May 15, 2019, 10:34:59 PM

I started in my homemade punching bag today. Still have two more tires to bolt on.
I think I want one of those.
But I also want a bat.  :notsure:
It's like a really strong piñata.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

jumbojak

They're cheap to make, and any stick will stand in as a bat. For a while at least.

Davin

Put in some pavers in my front yard.

Wasn't too bad. I'm planning on putting in a lot more in the backyard.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

jumbojak

What did you use as a base?

Bad Penny II

It's near winter so it's safeish for the pale skinned to venture out in their lunch hour.
I'm in need of a walking stick.  I want a tall one, about nose high.
Ye that maybe higher than necessary but I can always trim it.
I work near here, ten minutes walking and I'm in the forest.
https://www.google.com/maps/@-31.4862957,152.722854,754m/data=!3m1!1e3

Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Davin

Quote from: jumbojak on May 16, 2019, 03:32:14 PM
What did you use as a base?

I was going to use landscape clothe, paver base, paver sand, then pavers, but then I found some mats where the recommended base was different. Landscape clothe, paver sand, paver mat, then pavers. I'm not sure how that will hold up over time, but it was a little bit easier on the digging and installing. It was also a little bit cheaper by about $1 per sqft.

I haven't sealed them yet, I plan to this weekend.

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Bad Penny II on May 16, 2019, 03:40:18 PM
It's near winter so it's safeish for the pale skinned to venture out in their lunch hour.
I'm in need of a walking stick.  I want a tall one, about nose high.
Ye that maybe higher than necessary but I can always trim it.
I work near here, ten minutes walking and I'm in the forest.
https://www.google.com/maps/@-31.4862957,152.722854,754m/data=!3m1!1e3

Nice! Where I live, if I walk for ten minutes I'm in the desert (if I get past the houses).

hermes2015

After 6 months of inactivity in this thread, I want to post something fascinating. This tip may come in useful some time.

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

jumbojak

That was cool. Very, very cool.

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on November 17, 2019, 05:21:32 AM
That was cool. Very, very cool.

Yes, I shall certainly remember that trick and use it.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dark Lightning