News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

The Thinking Atheist Forum's Refugees

Started by Dark Lightning, October 13, 2018, 04:14:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unsapien

Good morning, good evening, and good night.  :)

I make my first post here.

Mostly to thank our atheist nieghbours, for whomever you've welcomed into your fold.

I've lurked here, on and off over the years, but up until the TFTMNBN was shutdown, I did not stray far.
"If we are to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard

Tank

Quote from: Unsapien on November 18, 2018, 12:26:07 AM
Good morning, good evening, and good night.  :)

I make my first post here.

Mostly to thank our atheist nieghbours, for whomever you've welcomed into your fold.

I've lurked here, on and off over the years, but up until the TFTMNBN was shutdown, I did not stray far.

Nice to have you here :)
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Unsapien

Quote from: Dark Lightning on October 13, 2018, 06:49:43 PM
I should have been more specific. Seth still has all that stuff, but the whole atheist forum part was switched off. I didn't go there much, but if any people who were members come here, they can explain it better. Some of the members are starting a new forum, but I don't know how that is going.

Basically, Seth (through Moms the administrator) said (and I'm paraphrasing here) ... on the last week of September...

The TTA forum has atrophied, and I (meaning Seth) am rebuilding a new site that will not included a forum. You have sometime between now and the end of this weekend to say your goodbyes...

After some protests from members the deadline was moved to Sept 30th, there was an attempt to try and get Seth to give us the rights to continue the TTA forum on our own, but he refused.

Many went to AF, someone created a "discord" server. I don't even know what that is, so I could not follow. Someone else created a TTA lifeboat forum where the idea for atheistdiscussion.org was first hatched, and then born.

"If we are to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard

Tank

I joined HAF after RDF and some other forums imploded. I joined because at the time it was a long standing forum.  I currently own the forum and don't intend to close it. If at some point I didn't feel the need to own/run it any more I would pass it on to one of the existing admin team and/or the membership.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Unsapien

Quote from: Tank on November 18, 2018, 01:32:11 PM
I joined HAF after RDF and some other forums imploded. I joined because at the time it was a long standing forum.  I currently own the forum and don't intend to close it. If at some point I didn't feel the need to own/run it any more I would pass it on to one of the existing admin team and/or the membership.

Yeah one of the problems was that Seth had no skin in the game. He never posted there except for way back in the beginning and once I think in 2013 to deal with one issue that was getting out of hand, and you could tell that he was annoyed at having to bother with it.

For me and many others it wasn't so much that the forum was being shutdown, it was that he did it so quickly and so callously. He could have given us a month notice or something.

After all if there's one concept that atheists understand better then anyone else is that nothing lasts forever.

I've got to say one thing, that what has amazed me through this time is how many connections we've all built, this place, to AF.org, AD.org, twitter, connections thought lost as other forums have faded and died, I've had contact with so many people through these past weeks it has warmed my heart so much.

May we all live long and prosper.

:spock:

Tank

Quote from: Unsapien on November 18, 2018, 10:53:20 PM
Quote from: Tank on November 18, 2018, 01:32:11 PM

Yeah one of the problems was that Seth had no skin in the game. He never posted there except for way back in the beginning and once I think in 2013 to deal with one issue that was getting out of hand, and you could tell that he was annoyed at having to bother with it.

For me and many others it wasn't so much that the forum was being shutdown, it was that he did it so quickly and so callously. He could have given us a month notice or something.

After all if there's one concept that atheists understand better then anyone else is that nothing lasts forever.

I've got to say one thing, that what has amazed me through this time is how many connections we've all built, this place, to AF.org, AD.org, twitter, connections thought lost as other forums have faded and died, I've had contact with so many people through these past weeks it has warmed my heart so much.

I think my post count speaks for my involvement :grin:

jimbob

hi, i'd like to introduce myself.

screen name jimbob.

I am an uncomplicated man, so this will be short.

I like fine cigars and Tangueray martinis; dry and shaken not stirred (it bruises the gin).
I like women, as long as they don't talk to me too much :)
I enjoy conversation, as long as it doesn't start to annoy me, at which point I will yield the last word and then leave the thread.
i am opinionated, but make every attempt to stay open minded.

and, with full knowledge this is an atheist forum, in the spirit of the season; i would like to wish everyone a happy solstice and merry Bacchus.

Tank

Asmodean

Welcome Jimbob, and happy holidays to you too.

Don't cigars and martinis sort-of make you complicated by themselves? At the very least, they add a bit of sophistication in my book, as does knowing what a bruised gin is. (I know as much about alcohol as a cave beetle does about the Sun - it has nothing against it, just doesn't seek it out, so their paths never really cross)
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Asmodean

Hello and welcome, Unsapien!

Quote from: Unsapien on November 18, 2018, 10:53:20 PM
Our own original creator, Whitney, is herself no longer a regular contributor here. She did continue to host the forum long after she left though, so we were lucky in that regard. Today, though, we are being hosted by a site regular once more.

QuoteFor me and many others it wasn't so much that the forum was being shutdown, it was that he did it so quickly and so callously. He could have given us a month notice or something.

Indeed. There is a not good, exactly, but... Professional way of doing this. Tell the community that you are no longer inclined to host it, work with them on migrating or what have you... At least, I'd like to think that's how I would approach a similar situation - not just kick the plug out of the socket.

QuoteI've got to say one thing, that what has amazed me through this time is how many connections we've all built, this place, to AF.org, AD.org, twitter, connections thought lost as other forums have faded and died, I've had contact with so many people through these past weeks it has warmed my heart so much.

Hear, hear!
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Dark Lightning

Icarus

I am late to the party but here is a welcome to you Jimbob. 

Your intro is good enough for the time being.  Jump in and let us get to know you.  We are a Happy lot as evidenced by our name; Happy Atheist.  You will learn that we are almost all thinkers and have no use for trolls, imposters, or other kinds of asshats.  Legitimate and cordial new members are not only welcome but also held in respectful esteem.  Try us.

jimbob

thank you all for the warm welcome.

I have already made my first post; and altho I tend to read more than respond, I look forward to meeting in the various topics.

Buddy

Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.