News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Why Are There Gay Men?

Started by AnimatedDirt, June 12, 2012, 09:44:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crow

Quote from: Sweetdeath on June 26, 2012, 05:17:05 PM
so then lesbians are stereotyped and not taken seriously  at all, which is really annoying. :(

Everyone falls into some sort of stereotype just ignore that nonsense.
Retired member.

rickrocks

This sounds like a group that doesn't really include many LGBT people. Aside from a few occurrences of the word "fag", the conversation has been un-derogatory. But there is a decided lack of advocacy, intimate knowledge of gayness, or discussion of why it's important that it not be suppressed in a mentally healthy society. I think maybe the urgency to have people understand and discuss gay issues, which are covered like a blanket by media of all stripes these days, would be more evident if there were more gay members. This is something I would welcome fully.

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: rickrocks on June 26, 2012, 07:41:47 PM
This sounds like a group that doesn't really include many LGBT people. Aside from a few occurrences of the word "fag", the conversation has been un-derogatory. But there is a decided lack of advocacy, intimate knowledge of gayness, or discussion of why it's important that it not be suppressed in a mentally healthy society. I think maybe the urgency to have people understand and discuss gay issues, which are covered like a blanket by media of all stripes these days, would be more evident if there were more gay members. This is something I would welcome fully.

Are you talking about HAF? Because there are a number of LGBT members here.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on June 26, 2012, 07:46:02 PM

I'm unsure what you mean either. :< ?
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

cncracer

I think it is genetic, and nature may be trying to correct the over population of humans by shifting a few genes around. Wish she had shifted a few genes in the religious rights brains before she shifted the sex genes. It would have made it a lot easier to live with them on the same planet. 

Ali

When Asmo said "BURN THE FAG" he was playing on the idea that the British call cigarettes fags.  Because he's Asmo and that's how he rolls. We may be irreverent, but we're not a homophobic group by any means.

ETA:  Don't know why I was yelling Asmo's name.  Fixed.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Ali on June 26, 2012, 08:37:19 PM
When Asmo said "BURN THE FAG" he was playing on the idea that the British call cigarettes fags.  Because he's Asmo and that's how he rolls. We may be irreverent, but we're not a homophobic group by any means.

ETA:  Don't know why I was yelling Asmo's name.  Fixed.

To add onto what Ali said.
This group is very deverse and open minded. :)

Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

En_Route

I must say I wouldn't welcome the introduction of gay advocacy, dissemination of intimate knowledge of gayness etc as significant components in this forum's conversations. If I was interested in gay issues I would have joined a forum dedicated to those selfsame issues.
Ditto if one of my passions in life was global warming or ethnic cleansing. As far as I'm concerned, the gay people here are atheists who happen to be gay; of course, that also makes them more likely to have suffered at the hands of religious zealots and to that indirect extent  their sexuality has a relevance to the rationale for this forum.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

En_Route

Quote from: cncracer on June 26, 2012, 08:26:57 PM
I think it is genetic, and nature may be trying to correct the over population of humans by shifting a few genes around. Wish she had shifted a few genes in the religious rights brains before she shifted the sex genes. It would have made it a lot easier to live with them on the same planet. 

There is no purpose or end- game underpinning the laws of nature.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

Sweetdeath

Why cant society just accept some people prefer men, some women, some both? Blondes, brunettes, redheads, tall, short, big eyes, small hands, long hair, short hair, big muscles, lean body...

We ALL have a preference. I am really sick of all this division just because of who we feel attracted to. It's really getting on my nerves.

Crow

Quote from: Sweetdeath on June 27, 2012, 02:10:06 AM
Why cant society just accept some people prefer men, some women, some both? Blondes, brunettes, redheads, tall, short, big eyes, small hands, long hair, short hair, big muscles, lean body...

We ALL have a preference. I am really sick of all this division just because of who we feel attracted to. It's really getting on my nerves.

No flippin' idea, it gets on my nerves as well. As does the medias obsession with how women are portrayed, but I digress.
Retired member.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Crow on June 27, 2012, 02:27:40 AM
Quote from: Sweetdeath on June 27, 2012, 02:10:06 AM

No flippin' idea, it gets on my nerves as well. As does the medias obsession with how women are portrayed, but I digress.

I just don't like people being divided by something so stupid.
Don't get me started on the gay community. They annoy me just as much as any 'group' of people who want a stereotype attached to them >_<

Tank

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on June 26, 2012, 07:46:02 PM

I'll go out on a limb here and guess that as this is RRs first response to the thread he is responding  to the OP. Taken in that context his comments make sense and fit with his previous attitude.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Stevil

I think it is genetic
I don't think it matters whether it is genetic or simply personal preference.
Consenting adults can choose to do whatever they like as long as they are not harming others. It is not of my business what people get upto in the bedroom and they certainly don't have to explain to me why that get upto whatever it is they get up to.

Ali

Quote from: Stevil on June 27, 2012, 09:17:12 AM
I think it is genetic
I don't think it matters whether it is genetic or simply personal preference.
Consenting adults can choose to do whatever they like as long as they are not harming others. It is not of my business what people get upto in the bedroom and they certainly don't have to explain to me why that get upto whatever it is they get up to.

ITA.  I actually find the idea that people should be more tolerant of homosexuality because it's genetic to be patronizing and offensive.  Like "Don't blame them, they just can't help themselves, the poor dears."  Ugh!  It doesn't matter why a person is gay.  What matters is that it's not anyone else's business what consenting adults do or who they have a relationship with.