News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Tired of being negative

Started by Jose AR, December 10, 2011, 01:08:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jose AR

So I'm tired of being against stuff. I'm an a-theist, I'm against religion, irrationality, mental submission, monotheism, etc. I know I am for things (humanism, free speech, reason, etc) and I know that I, as an atheist, am in the "default" of non believing.

I feel like am man living in a world where everyone has a broken leg and needs a crutch to walk except for me. Am I an anticrutch? No, I am normal!

We (culture) have had this crutch for so long that we don't have a word for 'no crutch'.

I want a word that expresses my "default" normalcy.

Jose AR

Asmodean

Quote from: Jose AR on December 10, 2011, 01:08:05 PM
So I'm tired of being against stuff. I'm an a-theist, I'm against religion, irrationality, mental submission, monotheism, etc. I know I am for things (humanism, free speech, reason, etc) and I know that I, as an atheist, am in the "default" of non believing.
So what is wrong with turning the tables?

Express the things you are against in terms of things you are for, and problem solved, no?
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Naturalist.

It encompases all of reality and allows one to explore that reality without any superstitions weighing one down. It acknowledges our evolutionary past and the drives that we have, caused by our evolution. It focuses on our inclusion in the universe around us and that we are a part of the natural world, not the supernatural world. It reveals our heritage, faults and our obligations to the natural world around us.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Too Few Lions

yeah, naturalist would be good, although I wonder who'd arrivie at the forum though if we renamed it 'happy naturalist forum'!

It's a good original question Jose, I get fed up of religious people claiming that atheism is just a belief and a religion like any other, unwilling to accept it is just not believing in deities, and it is the default position. None of us are born believing anything.

Tank

Quote from: Too Few Lions on December 10, 2011, 04:19:08 PM
yeah, naturalist would be good, although I wonder who'd arrivie at the forum though if we renamed it 'happy naturalist forum'!

It's a good original question Jose, I get fed up of religious people claiming that atheism is just a belief and a religion like any other, unwilling to accept it is just not believing in deities, and it is the default position. None of us are born believing anything.
Yes! There is the possibility of a missread there  ;D
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Whitney

I self identify mainly as freethinker with atheist simply being a byproduct.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freethought

And I agree with the comment that "atheist" in the forum title is part of the reason it attracts people.  Happy Freethinker or Happy Secularist isn't as much of a statement phrase.

Cecilie

Quote from: Tank on December 10, 2011, 04:21:35 PM

Not that Tank would mind. :P
The world's what you create.

Tank

Quote from: Cecilie on December 10, 2011, 04:37:59 PM

:o young lady. The very thought of it  ;D

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Tank on December 10, 2011, 05:07:35 PM
Quote from: Cecilie on December 10, 2011, 04:37:59 PM

:o young lady. The very thought of it  ;D

Imagine the personal photos people would post then.

Anyway, back to the original topic.  Secular humanist would work too.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Pharaoh Cat

Modernist.

Might seem odd at first, but consider how anachronistic it is to be Christian, Muslim, Orthodox Jew, etc.

"The Logic Elf rewards anyone who thinks logically."  (Jill)

Fi

I identify as secular humanist when I don't want to scare people with the word "atheist." It carries a bit less of that negative weight. And it implies standing for certain principles rather than standing against something else.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Fi on December 11, 2011, 06:06:51 AM
I identify as secular humanist when I don't want to scare people with the word "atheist." It carries a bit less of that negative weight. And it implies standing for certain principles rather than standing against something else.

That's a good point, maybe I should use 'secular humanist' more often. ::)
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Pharaoh Cat

The trouble I have with self-identifying as a humanist is the same as some 20th century philosophers had with self-identifying as an existentialist; I.e., "If I say I'm that, then I imply I agree with what those guys over there are saying, since apparently they're that too."

I'd rather self-identify as Newtonian: http://www.happyatheistforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=8834.0
"The Logic Elf rewards anyone who thinks logically."  (Jill)

MadBomr101

I'd take one look at that and think I'd landed at some weird, online nudist colony.   :o
- Bomr
I'm waiting for the movie of my life to be made.  It should cost about $7.23 and that includes the budget for special effects.

Too Few Lions

Quote from: MadBomr101 on December 12, 2011, 06:29:19 AM

I'd take one look at that and think I'd landed at some weird, online nudist colony.   :o
nothing wrong with that, I could happily join a 'happy naturist forum'!