News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Bad Penny II on February 07, 2020, 09:45:00 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on February 06, 2020, 05:33:19 PMAs the bus passed a construction site it stopped to pick up two brown guys -- possibly in their early twenties, unkempt in their general demeanor. I was sitting near the back of the bus and as they brashly moved passed me I thought, no, I was certain, that they were going to rob everyone who was sitting in that vehicle. They just fit the stereotype of the so-called "chicken thief" so well...

"Should I get off at the next stop?" The more fearful side of me thought. Suddenly I was very aware of my cellphone on my bag in front of me.

"Don't be ridiculous, you're just being prejudiced," another part of me thought in reply. "They're the victims of your racist thinking." 

"Yeah, maybe I am," I conceded as I was disappointed in myself for thinking that those two brash, unkempt, young, brown men were going to rob everyone. I decided to stay put.

Still, I hid my cellphone inside my bag and just stared outside the window as the bus carried on its way. A few minutes later, the two guys got off, as as they did a young man who was sitting behind me shouted hysterically that they had robbed him. They had taken his cellphone, his bag and his shoes.

You didn't feel wary just because they were brown, there was other stuff going on.
Projecting a  threatening presence would serve them well when they demand peoples stuff. 

OK, the old fav, confirmation bias.
Do you think you have fears of brown people that turn out to be unfounded but aren't given any significance?

I don't think so. At least, not that I'm aware of. :notsure:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Icarus

I am thinking; What the hell happened? 

One day I opened the forum and there was a really nice layout that differed from the usual one.  The new one was colorful and pleasing to observe.........I was thinking at that time that we are displaying a classy looking layout.  The very next day when I called up the forum.........Nothing but a blank page.....and the next day  the same..  I went into mourning, I cannot access the HAF forum.  Did the fundies sabotage the forum? 

The next day The old format came shining through and I am once again a happy camper.  WTF!  Is it possible that the FSM is testing my faith?

Tank

Quote from: Icarus on February 08, 2020, 02:35:59 AM

One day I opened the forum and there was a really nice layout that differed from the usual one.  The new one was colorful and pleasing to observe.........I was thinking at that time that we are displaying a classy looking layout.  The very next day when I called up the forum.........Nothing but a blank page.....and the next day  the same..  I went into mourning, I cannot access the HAF forum.  Did the fundies sabotage the forum? 

The next day The old format came shining through and I am once again a happy camper.  WTF!  Is it possible that the FSM is testing my faith?

The new format didn't work for everybody so Recusant switched back to the original.
Entirely coincidently the forum went on the fritz at GoDaddy and Asmo sorted that out. 
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

billy rubin

i had already switched it back to the default from my profile and didnt notice the return, except for the restore to an earlier backup. seems fine now

set the function, not the mechanism.

Recusant

Please see this thread in the Announcements board. I've written to Asmodean about whether the new theme had anything to do with the site failure. If it didn't, I'll try to put it in place again. I know that it created problems for Tank and hermes2015, and if the new theme gets a clean bill of health from Asmodean, I'll immediately revert their account setting (and any others who experienced problems) to this theme.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Icarus

Sincere thanks to Recusant and Asmodean for keeping this forum functional.  The trial format was attractive but not an essential quality. Perhaps it might have been more attractive to prospective new members . People are attracted to pretty pictures and pretty art more so than rational thought or intellectual content.

In any case I will be pleased to have the site written in Sanscrit or Swahili  if I am still permitted to participate.

Thanks all!  :cheers:

hermes2015

Quote from: Recusant on February 08, 2020, 09:47:49 PM

Please see this thread in the Announcements board. I've written to Asmodean about whether the new theme had anything to do with the site failure. If it didn't, I'll try to put it in place again. I know that it created problems for Tank and hermes2015, and if the new theme gets a clean bill of health from Asmodean, I'll immediately revert their account setting (and any others who experienced problems) to this theme.

Thank you for all your efforts, Recusant. I am comfortable with the old theme, so no need to change me back to the new one. I notice, though, that the automatic spell checker is not working.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

Quote from: hermes2015 on February 09, 2020, 03:07:21 AM

Thank you for all your efforts, Recusant. I am comfortable with the old theme, so no need to change me back to the new one. I notice, though, that the automatic spell checker is not working.

Oh Fick, that's em Biggered!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Tank on February 09, 2020, 09:23:56 AM
Quote from: hermes2015 on February 09, 2020, 03:07:21 AM

Oh Fick, that's em Biggered!

Get it right man!
QuoteA noble spirit embiggens the smallest man

I thought spell check was browser based.
Anyway, well done those who toil so we can ... what's the word I'm after?
Maunder?
Not quite what I was thinking.
OK, maybe one of these suit.
QuoteSynonyms for drivel
    applesauce [slang], balderdash, baloney (also boloney), beans, bilge, blah (also blah-blah), blarney, blather, blatherskite, blither, bosh, bull [slang], bunk, bunkum (or buncombe), claptrap, codswallop [British], crapola [slang], crock, drool, fiddle, fiddle-faddle, fiddlesticks, flannel [British], flapdoodle, folderol (also falderal), folly, foolishness, fudge, garbage, guff, hogwash, hokeypokey, hokum, hoodoo, hooey, horsefeathers [slang], humbug, humbuggery, jazz, malarkey (also malarky), moonshine, muck, nerts [slang], nonsense, nuts, piffle, poppycock, punk, rot, rubbish, senselessness, silliness, slush, stupidity, taradiddle (or tarradiddle), tommyrot, tosh, trash, trumpery, twaddle

I like flapdoodle.

Take my advice, don't listen to me.

hermes2015

Quote from: Bad Penny II on February 09, 2020, 10:37:20 AM
I thought spell check was browser based.

Oh thanks, there's a thought. I did have issues with my browser and had to revert to default settings. I will investigate and report back.

Edited later: Yes, that was the problem. I reinstalled the English language pack for Firefox and now the spell checker is working. Thanks again for your suggestion.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

billy rubin

set the function, not the mechanism.

hermes2015

― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

xSilverPhinx

What day is it today? Is today Monday?  :reading:

jumbojak

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz