News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Been So Long... Hello again!

Started by Rift Zone, February 02, 2018, 02:17:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rift Zone

Hello everyone!   

I've been off line for years, but i missed you guys, so I'm back.    I see some familiar names around here...   regret that I cant place them in terms of our interactions.   Anyway, looking forward to getting to know you guys again.   Cheers!   
In the last few millennia we have made the most astonishing and unexpected discoveries about the Cosmos and our place within it, explorations that are exhilarating to consider. They remind us that humans have evolved to wonder, that understanding is a joy, that knowledge is prerequisite to survival.   -Carl Sagan

Dave

I'm a newbie to you then, RZ, so Hi there!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Rift Zone

Hi Dave!   Thanks Magdalena!    Pleasure to cross your paths.  =)
In the last few millennia we have made the most astonishing and unexpected discoveries about the Cosmos and our place within it, explorations that are exhilarating to consider. They remind us that humans have evolved to wonder, that understanding is a joy, that knowledge is prerequisite to survival.   -Carl Sagan

Recusant

There was a software update a couple of years ago that put a fair section of the database out of reach. I looked to see whether any of your previous posts were available, but no joy there, so you're returning to a clean slate. It's good to see you here again. Welcome!

:welcomeback:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Rift Zone

Quote from: Recusant on February 02, 2018, 04:38:25 PM
There was a software update a couple of years ago that put a fair section of the database out of reach. I looked to see whether any of your previous posts were available, but no joy there, so you're returning to a clean slate. It's good to see you here again. Welcome!

:welcomeback:
Buried in the sands of time huh?   That explains a lot; I looked for them myself.    Anyway, it's good to be back!   Then again, it's been so long it feels kinda new and unfamiliar...   Though I recognize your name, Recusant...  as well as Tank and xSilverPhinx...  Icarus seems familiar, as well as OldGit.   

...Here's to a longer future here than history, cheers.    :beer:

Rift Zone

joeactor

hermes2015

Welcome back. There are probably enough new members to warrant an introduction post from you to tell us more about yourself.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dragonia

Hello Rift  Zone!  I'm glad you came back! I would also like to know kind of where you're coming from...as well as where you got your user name  ;D
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

Rift Zone

Thanks Joeactor.   Good point Hermes.

I'm a theoretical physicist working on an advanced plasma cosmology model that challenges black hole/singularity/BBT, Relativity, and the Standard Model of QM.   In other words, I'm rather scientifically blasphemous.    Guess I'm blasphemous in general because I've always been atheist, in spite of being raised in a west coast baptist environment, and I don't think religion is very good for the world so I'm writing a book to subvert indoctrination.   It covers a fair amount of new ground; it just might work: diminish religion's clout...   Guess we'll see about that. 

When I'm not geek'n out on something I like to spend time in the outdoors, hiking, biking, kayaking, whatever.   Some of those trips have been thousands of miles long.   I'm a fairly well accomplished adventure trekker, I'm proud to say. 

Hmm, what else.   I'm an American -much to my dismay.   I'm from Silicon Valley, and I love California, but the USA is fucked and I want out.   It will probably be NZ for me if California doesn't secede.    Anyway, "outdoorsy science geek" about does it, I don't have much of a life otherwise.   :spock: 

Oh, Hi Dragonia! 
I got my username while hiking the Appalachian Trail back in 2001.   It came about while I was reflecting on back home...   The "Castle Rock Ridge" quadrangle in the Santa Cruz Mountains were my training grounds, and "San Andreas Rift Zone" is clearly marked on it.   With the topographical map/outdoorsy component, and the plate tectonics/science geek component, it seemed like a perfect name for me.   Not to mention I more recently wrote a theory on continent formation that explains why we have such formations in the first place...   All things considered, I find "rift zone" to be rather suitable. 

Pleasure to cross paths with all of you! 

hermes2015

Thanks for that, Rift  Zone. In a way we are "scientific cousins", in that my field (organic chemistry) is built on the foundations of physics. I started university with the dream of becoming a physicist, but, owing to my lack of brain power, became a chemist instead.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Rift Zone

That's awesome Hermes!   Chemistry is cool...   wish I knew more about it.

Magdalena, Yea huh!   CA rocks.   The redwoods always have had my heart.    :notworthy: