News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

A New Hydrolysis Catalyst

Started by Recusant, July 01, 2018, 11:47:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

This may turn out to be a very important story, I think.

"Novel hybrid catalyst to split water discovered" | ScienceDaily

QuoteResearchers from the University of Houston and the California Institute of Technology have reported an inexpensive hybrid catalyst capable of splitting water to produce hydrogen, suitable for large-scale commercialization.

Most systems to split water into its components -- hydrogen and oxygen -- require two catalysts, one to spur a reaction to separate the hydrogen and a second to produce oxygen. The new catalyst, made of iron and dinickel phosphides on commercially available nickel foam, performs both functions.

Researchers said it has the potential to dramatically lower the amount of energy required to produce hydrogen from water while generating a high current density, a measure of hydrogen production. Lower energy requirements means the hydrogen could be produced at a lower cost.

[Continues . . .]

A not particularly exciting video:

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Dave

Hang on, I don't quite get this.

Normally you have the two electrodes in seperate "collection chamber" so that one collects the hydrogen to be drawn off and the other the oxygen. Looking at that article, and video, there is no seperation so the "atmosphere" in the vessel is surely a collection of H and O? Admitedly that can be recombined with some energy output (as well water.)

But they are talking hydrogen production for fuel cells here. I am missing, or misunderstanding, something here? A nice schematic would help!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Recusant

The full paper is available for free:

"High-performance bifunctional porous non-noble metal phosphide catalyst for overall water splitting" | Nature

I surmise that the video is just part of the "proof of concept," and that in any serious use of the catalyst to produce hydrogen, appropriate procedures would be used.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Dave

OK, so if the catalyst is connected to the supply +ve it produces one gas whilst the same catalyst attached to the -ve produces the other. So fsr not a lot different except for the current densities required. Presumably the catalyst is preserved, unlike the metal electrodes in the units currently made for small O-H torches for jewellery work etc.

Thus the commercial advantage; single electrode composition and relatively low energy consumption.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74