Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

How Do You Relieve Stress?

Started by xSilverPhinx, February 04, 2017, 12:40:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pasta Chick

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on February 04, 2017, 02:29:26 PM
Quote from: Pasta Chick on February 04, 2017, 04:27:44 AM
I used to play flyball, but that seems to be adding stress lately. Getting to yell, run, and catch a 65lb Malinois with one arm is somehow cathartic.

If they don't take your arm with them! :lol: I don't know the breed, but they look like really active dogs.

QuoteSo basically I just let things fester until breaking, yeah.

It's a terrible thing to do.  :sadnod:

They more or less do.  I was wearing lacrosse gloves when running him up until recently because he'd punch a hole in your hand if he missed. It took me 2 months to learn to counterbalance my weight to catch him.

And yeah. I gotta make some tough life choices here because festering isnt working.

Pasta Chick

Quote from: Pasta Chick on February 04, 2017, 04:11:58 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on February 04, 2017, 02:29:26 PM
Quote from: Pasta Chick on February 04, 2017, 04:27:44 AM
I used to play flyball, but that seems to be adding stress lately. Getting to yell, run, and catch a 65lb Malinois with one arm is somehow cathartic.

If they don't take your arm with them! :lol: I don't know the breed, but they look like really active dogs.

QuoteSo basically I just let things fester until breaking, yeah.

It's a terrible thing to do.  :sadnod:

They more or less do.  I was wearing lacrosse gloves when running him up until recently because he'd punch a hole in your hand if he missed. It took me 2 months to learn to counterbalance my weight to catch him. They're basically German Shepherds on crack.

And yeah. I gotta make some tough life choices here because festering isnt working.

No one

The mattress mambo can work wonders.

Dragonia

My first  reaction is to cry. I know.... not helpful at all, but sometimes I can't help it. Then my next step is to sleep. Stress doesn't normally keep me awake, usually all I want to do is become unconscious for a bit. Then I get all motivated to kick the world's ass by getting g lots of stuff done. It's a pretty predictable cycle with me. Although I don't get stressed very often. I'm pretty chill usually.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

Arturo

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on February 04, 2017, 03:04:44 PM
Quote from: Apathy on February 04, 2017, 05:09:16 AM
I poured all my sadness into weight lifting. Vitamin D helps too.

I poured all my...excitement? into meditating. Basically if I'm feeling my environment is getting too fast paced for me and making my thoughts rush as well, then I sit and listen to some calming music or ambient sounds.

My anger seems to be heading toward something constructive in the future.

How's your writing coming along?

It's not really going anywhere, I know how to finish the story but it wouldn't be real. I'm not even sure if I will like the story when I'm done.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Arturo

Quote from: Gloucester on February 04, 2017, 08:55:33 AM
Quote from: Apathy on February 04, 2017, 07:15:42 AM
Quote from: Gloucester on February 04, 2017, 07:03:04 AM
Have not suffered stress since I had my almost fatal heart attack, puts things into perspective.

But I do not recommend that as a "cure"!!  :sadshake:

My mental condition is triggered by stress. I feel you on that one.

Though very difficult to achieve, for most, the recognition and avoidance of stress "triggers" can help a grest deal. Violent games, computer or otherwise, might help for some but make others worse.

"Contemplative" violence, as with some Eastern martial arts, carried out with the right motive, seems to have helped some find a new place within themselves. But it can be a "side effect" that requires constant "topping up." Perhaps a therapy rather than a cure.

That's interesting. Never heard of "contemplative violence" before. I may have used it before but only in verbal fights.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Dave

Quote from: Apathy on February 04, 2017, 06:45:59 PM
Have not suffered stress since I had my almost fatal heart attack, puts things into perspective.

Though very difficult to achieve, for most, the recognition and avoidance of stress "triggers" can help a grest deal. Violent games, computer or otherwise, might help for some but make others worse.

"Contemplative" violence, as with some Eastern martial arts, carried out with the right motive, seems to have helped some find a new place within themselves. But it can be a "side effect" that requires constant "topping up." Perhaps a therapy rather than a cure.

That's interesting. Never heard of "contemplative violence" before. I may have used it before but only in verbal fights.

I was thinking about martial arts as an art, not earning it st to be able to beat others up. But you need to find a good, traditional, instructor

In the RAF I joined the judo club whilst in training. At 5ft 3in and a lightweight, with little confidence and a history of being bullied, I started off just wanting to be able to kick-ass a little.Cpl Marcantonio, an inch taller than me  but about the same across the shoulders, had other ideas for us. We did no fighting for the first quarter of each session,

Can't call it meditation in the sense most think of that, more a case of "contemplating" our perception of the moment, our environment, our physical being, what we wanted to achieve in the lesson. The latter moved on from "kick-ass" to achieving the best we were capable of. After a few months I did not want to kick-ass anymore,  was enjoying the balletic/athletic quality, the strategy, the psychology and the sense of success that even a lost fight might give - with a worthy opponent.

Ineresting thing was the captain of the second rugby eleven refused to fight me twice in friendly matches - though he must have been double my weight!

Marcantonio spent every leave he could get going to Japan to advance himself in the art - wonder what happened to him?

There is a lot of myth about the martial arts, 'cept maybe it is not all myth . . .

One of the few happy memories of my RAF service.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Arturo

Quote from: Gloucester on February 04, 2017, 07:48:41 PM
Quote from: Apathy on February 04, 2017, 06:45:59 PM

I was thinking about martial arts as an art, not earning it st to be able to beat others up. But you need to find a good, traditional, instructor

In the RAF I joined the judo club whilst in training. At 5ft 3in and a lightweight, with little confidence and a history of being bullied, I started off just wanting to be able to kick-ass a little.Cpl Marcantonio, an inch taller than me  but about the same across the shoulders, had other ideas for us. We did no fighting for the first quarter of each session,

Can't call it meditation in the sense most think of that, more a case of "contemplating" our perception of the moment, our environment, our physical being, what we wanted to achieve in the lesson. The latter moved on from "kick-ass" to achieving the best we were capable of. After a few months I did not want to kick-ass anymore,  was enjoying the balletic/athletic quality, the strategy, the psychology and the sense of success that even a lost fight might give - with a worthy opponent.

Ineresting thing was the captain of the second rugby eleven refused to fight me twice in friendly matches - though he must have been double my weight!

Marcantonio spent every leave he could get going to Japan to advance himself in the art - wonder what happened to him?

There is a lot of myth about the martial arts, 'cept maybe it is not all myth . . .

One of the few happy memories of my RAF service.

Yeah I had a similar experience with Taekwondo although I couldn't go long because my Dad couldn't pay for it. But as soon as I get this one bill paid off in a few months, I'm signing back up with my old teacher.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

solidsquid

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on February 04, 2017, 12:40:09 AM
I'd like to know other people's strategies for relieving stress. Do you exercise? Meditate?  Let it build up inside until you have a full blown meltdown?

I tend to burn out, and it doesn't take much to reach that state these days. It becomes harder to get things done, which only feeds into the cycle.

My advisor has squishy brain shaped toys in his office. I saw those things and felt this incredible urge to get a couple for myself. Since I'm practically always fidgeting with something (one hand on the mouse and another twirling a pen or something while I'm reading), those squishy things look very tempting. :grin: Voodoo dolls would be a close second.

Does anyone know of some interesting ways to de-stress that don't require huge amounts of motivation? What do you do?

I have a gift for you.  I've been working for a while now (still working on it actually, slowly but surely) to start up a consulting business with a focus on occupational health psychology and performance improvement.  One of the services I plan on offering is a workshop on stress management.  As part of the workshop I put together a companion booklet.  Hopefully, it has some good information in it you can use:

Stress Prevention & Mitigation

Ecurb Noselrub

Lots of ways to relieve stress, depending on the situation;

Exercise on a regular basis
A nice walk in nature
After a rough day at the office, a drink
Prayer/meditation
Hot bath/shower
Sex (less often the older I get)
Watching a movie
Getting on the internet

Arturo

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on February 04, 2017, 10:03:10 PM
a drink
Prayer/meditation
Watching a movie
Getting on the internet

I'd say these are both the cause, and solution to all of life's stress.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Firebird

Mostly video games these days. Running too, but I haven't had time to do that lately with firechicklet around, and the cold weather in New England. Hopefully will take that up more in the spring.
When I get really stressed, I shut down. The night of the election was a perfect example..well, after I spent half an hour hitting and breaking things. I was not very talkative at all for about a week, mostly reading the internet and writing and shutting myself in. Firechicklet was just 3 weeks old, so my wife was not happy with me at the time. Don't blame her, but that's how I cope, retreating into myself.
Yoga has helped too, but we haven't found a good place to go since we moved. I should look into that again, admittedly. I've tried mindfulness but haven't been able to stick with it. My former therapist had me download an app called Headspace which was occasionally helpful.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: solidsquid on February 04, 2017, 09:21:55 PM
I'd like to know other people's strategies for relieving stress. Do you exercise? Meditate?  Let it build up inside until you have a full blown meltdown?

I tend to burn out, and it doesn't take much to reach that state these days. It becomes harder to get things done, which only feeds into the cycle.

My advisor has squishy brain shaped toys in his office. I saw those things and felt this incredible urge to get a couple for myself. Since I'm practically always fidgeting with something (one hand on the mouse and another twirling a pen or something while I'm reading), those squishy things look very tempting. :grin: Voodoo dolls would be a close second.

Does anyone know of some interesting ways to de-stress that don't require huge amounts of motivation? What do you do?

I have a gift for you.  I've been working for a while now (still working on it actually, slowly but surely) to start up a consulting business with a focus on occupational health psychology and performance improvement.  One of the services I plan on offering is a workshop on stress management.  As part of the workshop I put together a companion booklet.  Hopefully, it has some good information in it you can use:

Thank you Squid! I will definitely read that. :smilenod:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

solidsquid

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on February 05, 2017, 12:35:13 PM
Quote from: solidsquid on February 04, 2017, 09:21:55 PM

Thank you Squid! I will definitely read that. :smilenod:

You're quite welcome!  8)

Mr. B

Watch Bob Ross paint happy little trees. If Neal Young is the godfather of grunge and James Brown is the godfather of funk then Bob Ross is the godfather of ASMR.

If that don't work for ya, there's always masturbation.  ;)

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" - Evelyn Beatrice Hall