News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Atheist Superbowl Commercial

Started by Dobermonster, February 03, 2014, 10:02:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dobermonster

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

An excellent piece of work and money well spent. The edifices of institutionalised superstitions are not simply going to disappear. They will need to be taken down bit by bit. This is just one chip at these edifices. If it makes theists/agnostics re-evaluate their world view it will be a good thing. If it makes quiet atheists more outspoken then it's a good thing. If it sparks conversations that allows atheists to discuss their world view it's a good thing. If it pisses off extremist theists and makes them rant and rave revealing their prejudices and theistic-bigotry it's a good thing.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

OldGit

^ This.  It's not going to deconvert all the world's faithheads in one blinding flash, but it's a neat little chip at the boulder.  Multo fit plausus ab ictu.

joeactor

I like the commercial, right up until the end.

It has a lot of feeling and power behind it.

But at the end, it just puts "logic" in the "god" spot.
There's a lot more to it than that, right?

Maybe I also have an issue with the word "Atheist" in commercials.

It's like being forced to mention your competitor in your ads.

What if, instead of being called "Toyota", the company name was "We're Not Ford"
Hardly a shining example of good marketing.

So, I'm off on a tangent, (feel free to spit this topic)
What catchy name would you give Atheism to remove god from the equation entirely?

Kody

This was actually a scientology commercial. Someone edited it to be an atheist commercial. It was much more fitting as an atheism commercial IMO.

Proof:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TyVyzQARh4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CED8ymuha7A

My favorite scientology commercial:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CED8ymuha7A
Look in the background at 2:05. 

En_Route

Quote from: Pasta Chick on February 04, 2014, 02:51:38 AM
I like it, even if it's not real.  

I would change the slogan at the end, though.  "We go one God further" isn't the sort of thing people are going to understand unless they're already involved in the atheist movement.  Unless it's followed up by a website or something where more information can be found, and one is counting on peaking curiosity.  

BF confirms this, saying "I have no fucking idea what that means."  

its' a phrase liftedout of a quotefrom  dawkins . out of context , it is unintelligible.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

OldGit

Fester, I think it probably is better.  Pity she gabbles so fast, though.

Pasta Chick

Quote from: En_Route on February 04, 2014, 12:02:19 PM
Quote from: Pasta Chick on February 04, 2014, 02:51:38 AM
I like it, even if it's not real.  

I would change the slogan at the end, though.  "We go one God further" isn't the sort of thing people are going to understand unless they're already involved in the atheist movement.  Unless it's followed up by a website or something where more information can be found, and one is counting on peaking curiosity.  

BF confirms this, saying "I have no fucking idea what that means."  

its' a phrase liftedout of a quotefrom  dawkins . out of context , it is unintelligible.

Yeah.  I didn't even know what it meant before I started hanging around here, and I've been an atheist all my life. 

He did think it was a nice way of illustrating a point once I explained it, but the commercial isn't doing that. 

Tank

Quote from: joeactor on February 03, 2014, 03:30:52 PM
'''
What catchy name would you give Atheism to remove god from the equation entirely?
Well Godfrey came to mind.
Somebody tried 'Bright' but that sucked.
Naturalist would do.