News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Trolling 101

Started by curiosityandthecat, December 12, 2008, 03:34:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Illbethewriter

Quote from: "Whitney"Illbethe...don't worry about it, you've posted enough on topic posts that no one should think you are trolling.

Haha I am actually starting to think you're my Mum! You're so full of advice and assurance :D Thanks for minding me!
"On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives [...] on a mote of dust suspended on a sunbeam." - Carl Sagan

Ulver

What I have realized from encountering slightly less flagrant trolls is that they really have no intention of discussing anything, and it's really quite easy to dilute yourself into believe you had been discussing something with them all along.  :drool  lesson learnt.

Tank

Quote from: "Ulver"What I have realized from encountering slightly less flagrant trolls is that they really have no intention of discussing anything, and it's really quite easy to dilute yourself into believe you had been discussing something with them all along.  :drool  lesson learnt.
Fortunately Whitney et.al. have a good nose for sniffing out trolls and getting rid of them and this 50 post 'apprenticeship' really does seem to be working.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

KDbeads

Quote from: "Tank"this 50 post 'apprenticeship' really does seem to be working.

Yeah... we haven't seen mabus in how long now?  I haven't been able to use Pudding's duckies in a while....
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. - Douglas Adams

proudfootz

Quote from: "Ulver"What I have realized from encountering slightly less flagrant trolls is that they really have no intention of discussing anything, and it's really quite easy to dilute yourself into believe you had been discussing something with them all along.  :drool  lesson learnt.
That's one of the goals of some trolls - to dilute the significance of any given thread and render it worthless.

oscarstrok

here's a video about the category of trolls

[youtube:2umyf6v8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqDMDNUZnEc[/youtube:2umyf6v8]

[youtube:2umyf6v8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXkbGzoaT3Q[/youtube:2umyf6v8]

Poptop

I wish I were a troll, then I could quickly notice that it's not worth my time on this site and I could leave but instead, I've got to spend time making 50 posts  It'll be worth it though, right?

Whitney

Quote from: Poptop on May 27, 2011, 06:09:54 AM
I wish I were a troll, then I could quickly notice that it's not worth my time on this site and I could leave but instead, I've got to spend time making 50 posts  It'll be worth it though, right?

yes, it will be worth it....and it only takes a couple days.

I guess I'm a bit biased though ;)

Poptop

ha ha, good.  I'm looking forward to it.

Sweetdeath

I hate trolls, so I really like the 50 posts rule.

Then after 50, I can spread the word of your lord and saviour; the googly eyed pasta monster. :D
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Siz

Quote from: JearfReep on October 09, 2011, 05:55:12 AM
Hi Im new to the site. Just wanted to say hi to everyone at www.happyatheistforum.com. I just made my first website at {removed}. Thanks for any suggestions!

I suggest you read the forum rules...

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Troll god

This topic seems made for me. ;D

I'm not a troll for "really really", just like to have some fun with fundamentalists.
IN INFERIS MELIUS EST REGNARE, QUAM IN COELIS SERVIRE!

Jonesboy

Quote from: curiosityandthecat on December 12, 2008, 03:34:53 PM
There has been a recent surge in trolling, so I thought I would take the liberty to throw together a little primer on how to spot a troll, and how to best deal with one once you’ve caught one.  I will refer to the troll as it, rather than he or she, to keep from humanizing such a monster. Google. If you return basically anything, you've got a copypasta troll. If you don't return anything, try with another phrase. Look for discrepancies in writing style from one paragraph to another, things like capitalization and punctuation usage. If it fluctuates frequently, it's a pretty good give away.

Some clarification please. What's a copypasta troll, and what's a troll?
If its someone who is challenging all the the time then that's called a philosopher. So some clarification would be helpful.

Davin

Quote from: Jonesboy on November 11, 2011, 07:53:07 PMSome clarification please. What's a copypasta troll, and what's a troll?
If its someone who is challenging all the the time then that's called a philosopher. So some clarification would be helpful.
A copypasta troll is a person that takes one post and posts it to many forums and/or just copies and pastes from web sites (sites like answers in genesis and the philosophy part of Stanford are very popular).

A regular troll is someone who posts on forums to get people riled up and/or just for the lols. The exact definitions take a long time to go through, but the longer you use the internet for discussions, the easier time yu will have in recognizing trollish behavior.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Jonesboy

Quote from: Davin on November 11, 2011, 08:05:18 PM
Quote from: Jonesboy on November 11, 2011, 07:53:07 PMSome clarification please. What's a copypasta troll, and what's a troll?
A copypasta troll is a person that takes one post and posts it to many forums and/or just copies and pastes from web sites (sites like answers in genesis and the philosophy part of Stanford are very popular).

A regular troll is someone who posts on forums to get people riled up and/or just for the lols. The exact definitions take a long time to go through, but the longer you use the internet for discussions, the easier time yu will have in recognizing trollish behavior.

It looks to me like a troll is a term that a group uses to threaten those who they don't want around. That could mean threatening anyone who challenges them once, or anyone whose approach is always challenging. If that's the case I'm all for trolls rather than yes-men.