News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

new guy

Started by abdulqawi, June 15, 2011, 08:50:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davin

Quote from: abdulqawi on June 16, 2011, 08:32:57 AMmagic pudding: grammar nazi or bad joke? either way, feel free to never address me again.

original_gender: you're funny. also feel free to never address me again.

Quote from: abdulqawi on June 17, 2011, 09:38:16 AM
in other words none of you have anything substantive to say. as expected anyway. i'll bet that in some suppressed corner of your brain you're all nihilists.

whitney: your lack of mental subtlety offends me. farewell.
You poor thin skinned, intolerant person. That is the way to remain forever alone. But then again it doesn't even matter does it? Why even waste time being offended if it all means nothing? I think you have a consistency issue when you're being offended by things that don't matter. Apparently your emotions are telling you that things do in fact matter while you're trying to tell yourself they don't. Which means you have to either change your emotions to become inline with your belief system, or change your belief system to be more inline with what you're experiencing. I have a third option that has worked out well for me; no belief system at all.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Nick_A

Quote from: Whitney on June 17, 2011, 04:47:13 PM
Quote from: Nick_A on June 17, 2011, 04:36:39 PM
Buddha did say that life is suffering.

Yes, but only due to our attachment to things.  You'd be hard pressed to find a buddhist who describes life as a horror.

Just don't end up in one of the Buddhist hells. Are they a horror?

http://www.khandro.net/doctrine_hells.htm

xSilverPhinx

Hello...goodbye...
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: abdulqawi on June 16, 2011, 09:48:52 PM
of course it is subjective; horror is simply a more authentic response to objective reality than is the contrivance of enjoyable mental states

What if I'm a part time Absurdist, not the suicidal or nihilistic kind, fun can be had poking at a serious world.

Quote from: abdulqawi on June 16, 2011, 09:48:52 PMthe cultivation of apathy is attractive to me, but I find bitter disgust mixed with terror to be a more enlivened internalization of the human condition. apathy strikes me as a cop out, as do willful blinders and the manufacture of shallow, pacifying sentiments about the world. but really, psychological inclinations are irrelevant. i think to deny the essential tragedy and monstrous impersonality of existence is simply delusional.

My day to day life doesn't deliver much horror, the news broadcast might, but I think that should be kept in perspective.

Quote from: abdulqawi on June 16, 2011, 09:48:52 PMit seems the brain is quite good at obfuscating the implications of reality. perhaps if fully appreciated one's sanity might be at stake. the nonchalance with which many profess the bankruptcy of existence, and then turn around and behave as though this existence is anything but loathsome farce... i hope to strive for stark realism, no matter how distasteful or terrifying it might be. but in the end it doesn't matter.

Insolvency is the state of being unable to pay debts as they fall due, bankruptcy is a legal status which recognises this.
So is existence worthy of doing business with, will it on balance provide more reward or cost?

Dr---Cr
Dealings With People 30
Joy Bank 30
Being negative dealings with people
Joy Bank 100
Dealings With People 100
Being positive dealings with people
Dealings With Family 50
Joy Bank 50
Being negative dealings with family
Joy Bank 200
Dealings With Family 200
Being positive dealings with family
Experience Of The Environment 20
Joy Bank 20
Being an annoying neighbour with leaf blower
Joy Bank 200
Experience Of The Environment 200
Being a nice walk by the water
Entertainment, News, Books, Media 20
Joy Bank 20
Being Justin Bieber
Joy Bank 200
Entertainment, News, Books, Media 200
Being Hitchhikers Guide TTG part 6

It looks like existence can a very profitable undertaking and I'm confident in recommending it.  It should be noted an atheist's life has no residual value in the form of an afterlife, so it's best to enjoy it while you can.

Nick_A

TMP

It looks like existence can a very profitable undertaking and I'm confident in recommending it.  It should be noted an atheist's life has no residual value in the form of an afterlife, so it's best to enjoy it while you can.

Yes, Shakespeare describes the atheist's perspective rather well

William Shakespeare - All the world's a stage (from As You Like It 2/7)

All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players:
They have their exits and their entrances;
And one man in his time plays many parts,
His acts being seven ages. At first the infant,
Mewling and puking in the nurse's arms.
And then the whining school-boy, with his satchel
And shining morning face, creeping like snail
Unwillingly to school. And then the lover,
Sighing like furnace, with a woeful ballad
Made to his mistress' eyebrow. Then a soldier,
Full of strange oaths and bearded like the pard,
Jealous in honour, sudden and quick in quarrel,
Seeking the bubble reputation
Even in the cannon's mouth. And then the justice,
In fair round belly with good capon lined,
With eyes severe and beard of formal cut,
Full of wise saws and modern instances;
And so he plays his part. The sixth age shifts
Into the lean and slipper'd pantaloon,
With spectacles on nose and pouch on side,
His youthful hose, well saved, a world too wide
For his shrunk shank; and his big manly voice,
Turning again toward childish treble, pipes
And whistles in his sound. Last scene of all,
That ends this strange eventful history,
Is second childishness and mere oblivion,
Sans teeth, sans eyes, sans taste, sans everything.

bicycle

Narwhal

Haha I made it to pantaloons and couldn't go any further. Lol, pantaloons. Anyways, welcome to the forum!

Davin

Quote from: Narwhal on July 14, 2011, 12:52:53 AM
Haha I made it to pantaloons and couldn't go any further. Lol, pantaloons. Anyways, welcome to the forum!
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Magnatar

I'm new also, but welcome.

Black36

Hogmelspseuse

hello   
i think i don't know what is the problem with the picture

الاردن

Tank

Quote from: KateDaring52 on August 31, 2011, 10:55:47 AM

Hello !
I am a new member. Would a newcomer be warmly welcome here? Good day you guy !
As long as you remove the spam link in your signature.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

OldGit

Google that post and you'll find it on a large number of forums - what a surprise.

Tank

Quote from: OldGit on August 31, 2011, 11:53:23 AM
Google that post and you'll find it on a large number of forums - what a surprise.
Ban hammer wielded!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Siz

Quote from: abdulqawi on June 16, 2011, 03:06:28 PM
whitney: i am a theist in this loose sense: i affirm the plausibility of god-like entities (for example extraterrestrial gods akin to the Lovecraft mythos, or perhaps the microbial superorganism that will likely consume your brain when you are dead); but this is somewhat peripheral to cosmicism. i defined the essence of cosmicism well enough above, namely cosmic terror and cosmic indifferentism. if you have reasons to believe that life is anything but a nihilistic horror i'd love to hear it. from where i stand we may as well be piles of dog excrement that happened to become conscious. after petty delusions of grandeur -- what some might call existential meaning-making -- i've come to the horrid realization that we're effectively transient piles of crap on a random rock, for no reason, lost in the infinite black. whatever we do or don't do, the illusions of value, purpose, goodness -- it's from nothing and returns to nothing. there is no escape and no salvation. the technological singularity will not transform us into indestructible superheroes; any gods that exist or will exist are rightly indifferent to us worms. the gods themselves are void.

@abdulqawi,

Do you believe that the human race is PARTICULARLY putrid and pointless, or AS putrid and pointless as (say) a geranium, a blue whale or a fluffy bunny munching a delicious carrot under a beautiful rainbow...??? I'm wondering if you are happy living with an overriding sense of misery. This is surely a matter of perspective, do you not agree?

For what it's worth, I love the idea that it's all meaningless and thrive on the notion. I'm gonna enjoy the ride while I'm lucky enough to be here.

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!