News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

James Webb Telescope Going Going Gone?

Started by The Magic Pudding, July 13, 2011, 09:45:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Magic Pudding

QuoteNASA's James Webb telescope, the successor to the Hubble, is on the chopping block. With the U.S. Congress arguing over fiscal matters, one of the things that may get cut is NASA's budget, with the expensive James Webb telescope potentially getting the ax. If that happens, a generation of scientific discoveries about the nature of the universe may need to be put on hold.
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2388293,00.asp

An aircraft carrier without jets costs more, and we all love those.
Maybe if we perceived an alien threat that needed watching poor old JW's scope would be more popular.  :(
It's not for me to say what the US Congress spends their money on, but if you go for the JW I'll like your more, promise.

Davin

When the U.S. is already falling far behind the science and technology market, we might as well cut science programs... I mean we should be giving companies like GE a 0% tax for their $14 billion in profits (profits as in income after expendatures), instead of funding long term things like scientific progress. I mean, America is #1 and we get to stay #1 by being 5-6th in everything compared to other developed countries... except fat people and corn, we're 1# there!

But seriously, yeah we're in a fincancial crisis sure, but do we get out of that financial crisis by making sure we have nothing worth anything when we're done? I don't think so, but thinking that we can cut science and technology programs for short term goals will not make things easy ten to fifteen years down the road.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

hismikeness

It's such a shame to see funding for things like this to be cut. On one hand, it does seem superfluous, but on the other hand, the owning of technologies that come about from space exploration and the knowledge gained is well worth the paltry finances which the space program receives.

To your point about America claiming to be 1st Davin, I have been challenging people lately when they say things of that nature. The most common: greatest country on Earth, free world, (regarding the president) the most powerful man in the world. I ask them: What exactly are we number one in? What makes America better than anyone and everyone else?

Then I ask: Are you only saying that because that's what the news said?

Usually shuts them up.
No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite