News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Re: I Need Help From All You Native Speakers Once Again

Started by OldGit, December 14, 2014, 10:30:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Is there a difference between 'overhead illumination' and 'ceiling illumination'? Which would be preferable?   :scratch:

ETA: Or 'overhead lighting'.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Davin

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

hermes2015

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 12, 2017, 02:55:36 PM
Is there a difference between 'overhead illumination' and 'ceiling illumination'? Which would be preferable?   :scratch:

Overhead lighting could be outdoors and not attached to a ceiling, for instance light from a lamp post.
Ceiling lighting is attached to the ceiling in a room, but one can have tall standard lamps that provide overhead lighting in a room. They would not be called ceiling lighting.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Recusant

I agree with Davin and hermes2015. If you wish to specify that the illumination is coming from the ceiling rather than from a tall torchiere floor lamp for instance, you could say "ceiling-mounted illumination" though "ceiling-mounted lighting" is preferable in my opinion.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Dave

Are the lights fitted to or rdcessed into the ceiling or suspended from it or some kind of substructure? You could say, "Overhead illumination was provided by recessed ceiling lights"  but that is a bit clumsy. As Davin said, "Overhead lighting", whether qualified by type or not, covers all. Qualification might be needed for technical - recessed ceiling lights give clear overhead space for cranes etc, or decorative, cosmetic descriptive purposes. Recessed, sealed lighting can also be designed to be more easily and hygenically cleaned.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

Thanks guys!  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Dave on October 12, 2017, 03:44:01 PM
Are the lights fitted to or rdcessed into the ceiling or suspended from it or some kind of substructure? You could say, "Overhead illumination was provided by recessed ceiling lights"  but that is a bit clumsy. As Davin said, "Overhead lighting", whether qualified by type or not, covers all. Qualification might be needed for technical - recessed ceiling lights give clear overhead space for cranes etc, or decorative, cosmetic descriptive purposes. Recessed, sealed lighting can also be designed to be more easily and hygenically cleaned.

Simple fluorescent lights attached to the ceiling.

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 12, 2017, 03:45:32 PM

Context important as well  :grin:

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on October 12, 2017, 05:08:24 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 12, 2017, 03:45:32 PM

Context important as well  :grin:

Yep, sorry about that.  :sidesmile:

xSilverPhinx

Please help me out here, the gears in my head are not turning smoothly today...can I say "The laboratory diagnosis is made, initially, by imaging methods"?

A diagnosis is made?

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 06, 2017, 09:13:01 PM
Please help me out here, the gears in my head are not turning smoothly today...can I say "The laboratory diagnosis is made, initially, by imaging methods"?

A diagnosis is made?

"arrived at"?

Example:

QuoteWho made your child's diagnosis, how was it arrived at, and does it matter?

https://stemcollege.wordpress.com/2013/02/19/who-made-your-childs-diagnosis-how-was-it-arrived-at-and-does-it-matter/

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on November 06, 2017, 09:30:22 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 06, 2017, 09:13:01 PM

A diagnosis is made?

"arrived at"?

Example:

QuoteWho made your child's diagnosis, how was it arrived at, and does it matter?

https://stemcollege.wordpress.com/2013/02/19/who-made-your-childs-diagnosis-how-was-it-arrived-at-and-does-it-matter/

Excellent!  :notes:

xSilverPhinx

Also, could you call something a suspect alteration in an organ (bladder) which might indicate the growth of a tumour?

Dave

I supposed you could also say, ", , , diagnosis was based on . . ." but can't find sny decent examples.

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 06, 2017, 09:50:48 PM
Also, could you call something a suspect alteration in an organ (bladder) which might indicate the growth of a tumour?

Ouch, not so easy:

"possible" ?

But this could be a case where I might rearrange the whole sentence to avoid an awkward usage. " . . . it is/was suspected that the alteration(s) observed was/were due to the growth of a tumor . . ." is that makes sense in the context.

Ah, or does "suspect" here mean "unusual" or similar. !Context warning!!

xSilverPhinx

The phrase would be something like:

...These may show suspect changes in the bladder, which are confirmed by cystoscopic examinations...

But suspect doesn't feel entirely right in this context. :notsure: