News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Essie Mae

My HAF profile has my local time as 7 hours ahead of the actual time here! I don't seem to be able to change it.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Essie Mae on October 29, 2018, 12:46:27 PM
My HAF profile has my local time as 7 hours ahead of the actual time here! I don't seem to be able to change it.

Did you click on 'auto detect'? That should automatically detect which time-zone you're in. Go to your profile, click on 'Look and 'Layout'. There you will find 'Time Offset' where you can change the time-zone you're in.

If you're having too much trouble I can try and change it for you, if you want.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Essie Mae

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 29, 2018, 01:29:09 PM
Quote from: Essie Mae on October 29, 2018, 12:46:27 PM

Did you click on 'auto detect'? That should automatically detect which time-zone you're in. Go to your profile, click on 'Look and 'Layout'. There you will find 'Time Offset' where you can change the time-zone you're in.

If you're having too much trouble I can try and change it for you, if you want.

All done; thanks for that
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

xSilverPhinx

I've split the posts regarding election results in Brazil, posts can be found here: http://www.happyatheistforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=14352.105

Icarus

Fernanda; When, or if, you are shopping around for a place to be, Then take a look at these hallowed places of higher learning............https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QB7kgcqcaY        Don't stop there. We have many more spectacularly beautiful places with world class research facilities.  Many of them do have research grant programs. 

xSilverPhinx

Those campi look great, Icarus!

But I don't know. Part of me feels I should stay in Brazil...be part of a resistance or something. The other part of me feels I will most likely destroy my life if I did. Dilemma...

:(

Who knows what the future will bring?

jumbojak

If you are on the losing side of a resistance movement the chances of destroying your life are very high. It takes serious determination and ideological commitment to be involved in something like that.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on October 31, 2018, 10:46:35 PM
If you are on the losing side of a resistance movement the chances of destroying your life are very high. It takes serious determination and ideological commitment to be involved in something like that.

Yes, I know. But it feels like the right thing to do. Like I should do something.

But the question is...do what? What could I possibly do? I don't believe in rallies and peaceful manifestations. People call for those all the time on social media and they don't amount to anything. They're not like strikes which affect strategic areas of the economy.

Not to mention, rallies are likely to be criminalised (they're going to try and pass an anti-terrorism Act in Brazil which includes peaceful rallies under terrorism). If I'm going to endanger myself it might as well be in a way I think will be more effective. 

One of the Turd's minions, the military man who will be the minister of education, wants to mandate that creationism be taught in schools and that history of the military dictatorship in Brazil be revised.

So yeah. I'm feeling incredibly edgy. Both my emotional and more rational sides lean in that direction -- that something needs to be done.

Icarus

You have answered your own questions. 

You are much too valuable an intellect to get involved in the political scene.  That is not just a complimentary remark. 

You are almost powerless to affect the political atmosphere in your country.  You do have considerable potential to influence the fate of humanity by doing what you are doing.  Yours is by far a more important and far reaching  field of endeavor than that of the "turd" or any of his henchmen. 

In plainer language; CYOAF.  That is military language that translates to; Cover your own ass first.  Rather than an almost certainly fruitless tilt at windmills, take care of the destiny of xSP as a first order of business. 

You are thinking of bailing out of your native country while a lot of hapless Venezuelans are migrating to places like Pacaraima Brazil.   Those Warao people people probably are not aware that the nation of Brazil is being corrupted as is their Venezuela.

xSilverPhinx

I don't know, Icarus. I understand that you're coming from a rational point if view, and if I didn't feel so nervous and angry as I do now perhaps I would decide to steer clear. However, if it comes to another military dictatorship, how can I flee the country while my family and friends stay? I really, really hope it never comes to that totalitarian scenario but if it does I don't think I could live with myself if I fled.

I don't know how much I could do, and how effective my efforts could be, but I can't do nothing.

jumbojak

Just be careful. Before you know it we might be seeing you on the news leading an angry mob in a chant with a bullhorn...

:blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: 

;)

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on November 02, 2018, 12:52:21 AM
Just be careful. Before you know it we might be seeing you on the news leading an angry mob in a chant with a bullhorn...

;)

:lol:

Buddy

My last day at my current branch is tomorrow, and today everyone got together and got me flowers and a really sweet card. I'm going to miss them so much
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

jumbojak

jumbojak

Giant hornet nest in the old house. A full can of spray didn't do anything but piss em off. I could hear the bastards buzzing through the wall after I made a break for it and was back outside. Tomorrow I go to war...