News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Re: Reasons To Be Grumpy thread

Started by jumbojak, October 27, 2012, 09:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Essie Mae on February 09, 2018, 07:35:11 AM
Quote from: Dave on February 09, 2018, 06:31:50 AM
Quote from: Essie Mae on February 08, 2018, 10:01:03 PM
Thank y'all for your kind expressions. So the X-ray today showed that I have virtually no cartilage left in my knee and probably a blood vessel got rubbed by the bone. The end result will be a replacement knee but they may try further draining in three weeks' time and give me a steroid jab. However, as this would be of benefit for a limited amount of time, i'm minded to go straight for the replacement knee for which there is an 18-week wait.  The surgeons won't touch the knee for six months after a steroid jab so it would just delay things and I'm already going stir-crazy. You're right about the raised left and ice packs; I just hope they allow me to walk a little way, even with a stick. My husband's 29-year-old second cousin has terminal cancer so I am keeping this all in perspective.

Ouch, agsin, Essie. Oedema would have been simple by comparison, even if a real pain.

As you say, this is bad enough but not in comparison to your your husband's counsin's fate.

Indeed. Will try not to moan as much in future.

Don't hold back.  That's what this thread is for.

Essie Mae

So what's with the demise of the handbrake? A quick poll of friends and family didn't turn up anyone who likes the new arrangement. Isn't there a point in the development of any system when perfection is reached, and there's no point in trying to change it further. I like to feel the car being stationary through my hand and arm. An electronic brake just doesn't do it for me. Our hire car had just a button.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

jumbojak

Quote from: Essie Mae on February 12, 2018, 10:42:12 PM
So what's with the demise of the handbrake? A quick poll of friends and family didn't turn up anyone who likes the new arrangement. Isn't there a point in the development of any system when perfection is reached, and there's no point in trying to change it further. I like to feel the car being stationary through my hand and arm. An electronic brake just doesn't do it for me. Our hire car had just a button.

I suspect that it's at least partly to lock people into dealer service. There's certainly a proliferation of electronic devices where mechanical or vacuum operation worked for a long, long time but having a simple brake job require a very expensive scan tool that diy people can't afford and independent shops might not be able to justify probably plays a role.

I'm personally a fan of some older Ford's system that automatically released the brake when the throttle opened. Of course, Ford dropped it once they had the system working perfectly. It was simple and ingenious though.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Dave

^
Gadget fan though I am I dislike needless complexity in any system - especially anything that puts fused electronic systems in place of simple mechanical ones. Especially where there is no alternative for power failure in essential systems (Rolls Royce once had a winder available in case the electric window motors failed).

I have grown to recognise the need for electronic engine management systems but miss the day when I knew how to fix all the bits under the hood.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Essie Mae

I think your somewhat cynical answer is the exact truth jumbojak. As for your final para Dave, what is this 'need' (which I do recognise in many aspects of life), as far as handbrakes are concerned?

Dave

Quote from: Essie Mae on February 13, 2018, 07:56:30 AM
I think your somewhat cynical answer is the exact truth jumbojak. As for your final para Dave, what is this 'need' (which I do recognise in many aspects of life), as far as handbrakes are concerned?

I was not drawing parallels between hand brakes and engines, Essie.  If we are going to use complicated, environmentally damaging machines to move ourselves around it is better that they are constantly monitored and, hopefully, adjusted for maximum efficiecy and environmental health (unlike VW Diesels which demonstrated the power of greed over need.)

The over-complication of the hand brake beyond simple levers, wires and pivots, other than in those vehicles modified for the use of people of limited or impaired physical ability, is a step too far.

I need to find out how such things work, whether they rely on mainrained hydraulic pressure or are mechanically (servo motor) or electromagnetically operated or what. Systems involving a constant source of energy to maintain them are always fraught with potential dangers, the more "volatile" the energy the greater the danger. Haven't been in a car with this system yet,

jumbojak

The electric parking brakes I have a passing familiarity with are operated by a servo motor. Unless I'm mistaken you cannot use hydraulic pressure for the ebrake, at least in the US. The primary brakes and e brake have to be distinct systems.

Here's a weird one for you Dave. A friend recently purchased a 2009 BMW that requires a scan tool to code replacement batteries. If you don't code the car for the new battery, it'll only last a few months!

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Dave

Quote from: jumbojak on February 13, 2018, 02:48:27 PM
The electric parking brakes I have a passing familiarity with are operated by a servo motor. Unless I'm mistaken you cannot use hydraulic pressure for the ebrake, at least in the US. The primary brakes and e brake have to be distinct systems.

Here's a weird one for you Dave. A friend recently purchased a 2009 BMW that requires a scan tool to code replacement batteries. If you don't code the car for the new battery, it'll only last a few months!

Yeah, foot and hsnd brakes here have to be separste as well, wire operated cam, lever or spiral actuator usually. What gappens if you get a power problem, do e-brakes fail on or off? Either has its problems, if on probably needs calling out a mechanic to free it (with the special tool of course) for most people. If it failed off - just never park on a slope!

Thst battery thing is a total scam ifvyou have to have an "approved" battery as I have seen in other things. Substitute laptop batteries are "failed" quite rapidly by some makers. I can understand that, a dodgy Chinese backstreet battery might crap your machine. I cannot see a "Blogg's Special" battery breaking a car though (short of going catastrophically dead short).

PS, yes, I can imagine your eyes glinting at that truck, JJ!

Essie Mae

Quote from: Dave on February 13, 2018, 04:02:03 AM
^
Gadget fan though I am I dislike needless complexity in any system - especially anything that puts fused electronic systems in place of simple mechanical ones. Especially where there is no alternative for power failure in essential systems (Rolls Royce once had a winder available in case the electric window motors failed).

I have grown to recognise the need for electronic engine management systems but miss the day when I knew how to fix all the bits under the hood.

Come the geomagnetic reversal we'll all scrambling to find old Ford Cortinas and he like.

Dave

Quote from: Essie Mae on February 13, 2018, 09:08:30 PM
Quote from: Dave on February 13, 2018, 04:02:03 AM
^

Come the geomagnetic reversal we'll all scrambling to find old Ford Cortinas and he like.

Nah, just drive backwards everywhere!

jumbojak

Quote from: Dave on February 13, 2018, 03:37:16 PMThst battery thing is a total scam ifvyou have to have an "approved" battery as I have seen in other things. Substitute laptop batteries are "failed" quite rapidly by some makers. I can understand that, a dodgy Chinese backstreet battery might crap your machine. I cannot see a "Blogg's Special" battery breaking a car though (short of going catastrophically dead short).

The problem isn't so much the type of battery that you use, though a compatible AGM is highly recommended, but that the car's charging system will kill a battery that the vehicle isn't coded for. I'm not sure exactly why this happens or even if there is some reasoning behind it. The amount of electronics on that car is staggering to me.

Dave

Grump, grump...

Another pair of glasses only 4 months after the last pair (that was one month after the op) - cataracts in left eye getting worse but missed being referred by one point in the assessment. Right eye not perfect but sufficient for driving etc. Since I have epithelium problems under the retina I need another eye scan as well. Possibly another test in 6 months or if I experience sudden change.

I was not due for a free NHS paid-for test this time but the change in prescription is sufficient for me to quslify for a freebie. Not so the scan or new specs! Glad I went for budget frames 4 months ago, and done so again. Don't mind paying for the tests and scans but not for "fashionable" frames - with exactly the same quality lenses as the budget jobs.

Took my camera into town but very cold, gusty wind and rain made wandering about for inspirational pairings an unattractive prospect. Got a touch of trigeminal neuralgia coming on I think, left ear and teeth aching.

Tank

Tooth broke. On a jelly sweet FFS!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

jumbojak

How does vision care work with the NHS?

Tank

Quote from: jumbojak on February 14, 2018, 08:37:23 PM
How does vision care work with the NHS?
Day-to-day glasses etc are private funded for the most part. Operations for cateracts and the like are free.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.