News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Open Letter to the NERC (Boaty McBoatface).

Started by hackenslash, April 18, 2016, 02:27:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackenslash

New blog post up, actually an open letter to the UK's National Environment Research Council regarding the recent online poll to name their new research vessel Boaty McBoatface.

This has been sent to the BBC, The Grauniad, The Observer and RDFRS, as well as the top bods at NERC. Additionally, I've forwarded it to every high-profile scientist I could think of for whom I could find contact details, including Stephen Hawking, Brian Cox, Jeff Forshaw, Jim al Khalili, Steve Jones, Alice Roberts, Helen Czerski, Marcus du Sautoy, Neil Turok, Lawrence Krauss, various university professors and the public education team at the Royal Society.

I'd be massively appreciative if anybody could share this around, as I think it an important and time-sensitive issue, and a different voice to add to the discussion.

http://reciprocity-giving-something-back.blogspot.co.uk/2016/04/open-letter-to-national-environment.html

Thanks in advance for any support.
There is no more formidable or insuperable barrier to knowledge than the certainty you already possess it.

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sandra Craft

QuoteThe person who came up with this suggestion, former BBC presenter James Hand, has since apologised.

Apparently "Dude, I was joking" doesn't go as far as it used to.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

hackenslash

There is no more formidable or insuperable barrier to knowledge than the certainty you already possess it.

Tank

I think what they should do is give it a sensible name and then under that in brackets and smaller put (Boaty McBoatface).
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Buddy

Quote from: Tank on April 19, 2016, 06:49:34 AM
I think what they should do is give it a sensible name and then under that in brackets and smaller put (Boaty McBoatface).

I disagree. Boaty McBoatface or nothing!
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Pasta Chick

I really want to support Boaty McBoatface, but since I'm a nerd of the not-quite-millineal generation whose brain functions entirely in pop culture references all I can think of is Elftor Meets Boatface.

Apparently the Boatface spin off has ceased to exist, which is probably a good thing.

Bad Penny II

Boaty has lost, a bitter loss for democracy.
Bin Laden, he is laughing amidst his virgins.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

hackenslash

Quote from: Bad Penny II on April 21, 2016, 03:15:19 PM
Boaty has lost, a bitter loss for democracy.
Bin Laden, he is laughing amidst his virgins.

It isn't over yet. Jo Johnson has apparently said he'll intervene, but it isn't actually his call. Moreover, several petitions were started on the UK Govt's petition website, which were all summarily rejected on the basis that this was a matter for the NERC and the govt had no say in the matter.

On those grounds, I've started a petition asking for Jo Johnson to STFU, or for the previous petitions to be reinstated. Either it's the government's call or it isn't, but they can't have it both ways. My petition is being assessed, although this will probably not be until the working week.

Not letting them run roughshod over democracy on my bloody watch.

If anybody wants to sign, it's open to UK residents and British citizens:

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/128478/sponsors/AIPMyyhbYlXAPP4KZXDl

Not actually live yet, but can still be signed.

hackenslash

Scratch that, it appears that a name has been announced. It's to be named after a verb.

RRS Encourage.

What a shitty name.

Pasta Chick

That's terrible!

Honestly, Boaty McBoatface would have kept a following. No one is going to give a shit about a pseudo inspirational educational vessel.

Tank

What the living fuck! Such a bunch of spoil sports. But the fact is that it'll be 'Boaty McBoatface' until the day it goes to the scrap yard.

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Tank on April 23, 2016, 07:35:46 AM
What the living fuck! Such a bunch of spoil sports. But the fact is that it'll be 'Boaty McBoatface' until the day it goes to the scrap yard.

Yes, Long Live "Boaty McBoatface"!

That's what happens when you go against popular vote, their act of changing the name will force the "Boaty McBoatface" name to be even more prevalent, hopefully there will be a movement ensuring the name lives on forever, or at least as Tank says the boat hits the scrapyard.

My high school graduating class chose overwhelming as our class song,"The End", by the Doors, but our elected class representatives didn't feel this was appropriate what with the whole Oedipus complex thing so they chose "Magic Power", by Triumph instead without even notifying the student body.

There was considerable outrage by the student body, but it was too late as programs had already been printed, although we did burn the Class President in effigy!

At every class reunion we of course play "The End", by the Doors, any music by Triumph is strictly banned (They suck anyway)

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Tank

Never even heard of Triumph.
Except the motor bikes.

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Tank on April 23, 2016, 05:34:07 PM
Never even heard of Triumph.
Except the motor bikes.

Of course you didn't they suck...the motor bikes, ah now those are nice. Always wanted either a Triumph or an Indian. Maybe one day when I grow up.
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."