News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Variations on a HAF Emblem

Started by hermes2015, May 03, 2018, 06:19:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hermes2015

So as not to dwell too much on my impending hip replacement, I have found a way to distract myself. I've started playing with ways to use the HAF fish emblem or logo to make objects. Here are some examples:

Earring in gold. Could perhaps be a bit smaller for daytime wear.

With diamond eye

Pin in silver.

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

jumbojak

Would you use a cage on the backing pun to maintain the dicontinuous appearance?

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on May 03, 2018, 01:09:07 PM
Would you use a cage on the backing pun to maintain the dicontinuous appearance?

This is usually the first, concept stage when I design stuff, just to get the look right. Then after that I would work out the practical construction details. This is just me playing around - not really a serious attempt to design anything practical. The eye would present a major challenge to maintain the "floating" look if I had to make a real pin.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on May 03, 2018, 01:38:32 PM

This is usually the first, concept stage when I design stuff, just to get the look right. Then after that I would work out the practical construction details. This is just me playing around - not really a serious attempt to design anything practical. The eye would present a major challenge to maintain the "floating" look if I had to make a real pin.

Yeah, things like that eye are a real pain! I have resorted to fine, slightly random, wires from a "pupil" to an "orbit" as supports. Can look weird though!

Won't work here anyway, no orbit.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

hermes2015

Quote from: Dave on May 03, 2018, 01:56:24 PM
Quote from: hermes2015 on May 03, 2018, 01:38:32 PM

Yeah, things like that eye are a real pain! I have resorted to fine, slightly random, wires from a "pupil" to an "orbit" as supports. Can look weird though!

Won't work here anyway, no orbit.

If I were to actually make this as a piece of jewellery, I would consider a backing of a thin sheet of ruby sapphire. I played with rods of this amazing stuff when I was making jewellery as a hobby. It looks like colourless glass, but I could heat it to white hot in a torch without melting it.
― Charles Eames

Bad Penny II

Would the fishy earring look better dangling on some links?
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Bad Penny II

These are the voyages of the web forum HAF

hermes2015

Quote from: Bad Penny II on May 03, 2018, 02:10:01 PM

Yes, that would be a possibility. That's the beauty of using a program like Cinema 4D to design things. It is so easy to try out ideas and then render them photo-realistically. Like this bit of surreal craziness:
― Charles Eames

Bad Penny II

Quote from: hermes2015 on May 03, 2018, 02:18:09 PM

Yes, that would be a possibility. That's the beauty of using a program like Cinema 4D to design things. It is so easy to try out ideas and then render them photo-realistically. Like this bit of surreal craziness:

The shadows are a bit free range.

Dave

Quote from: Bad Penny II on May 03, 2018, 02:27:16 PM

All part of the surreality!

Excellent, Hermes!

Going back one, can't find "ruby ssphire" as a material on Google - liads of Pokermon stuff though.

Arturo

Is it just me or did anyone else notice that there are floating parts of the logo that wouldn't be practical in real life?
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

hermes2015

Quote from: Bad Penny II on May 03, 2018, 02:27:16 PM

Yes, the reason is that I was using a single light source, not global illumination, to save render time. I usually do that when I am trying out different things and want a fast result. Render times with global illumination are much longer. I will do one to show the difference.
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: Arturo on May 03, 2018, 02:33:57 PM
Is it just me or did anyone else notice that there are floating parts of the logo that wouldn't be practical in real life?

Er, Artuto, "surreal" sort of means "bizarre" - it needs no connection to reality, that is the very essence of that school of art. Look up Salvador Dali!

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Arturo on May 03, 2018, 02:33:57 PM

The HAF logo evolved to have a free floating eye.
Give it another million years and most logos will probably have one.
There's no doubt that logos with a floating eye have evolved revolving around other stars .

hermes2015

I am planning to make some more bizarre variations that will be even further disconnected from reality.
― Charles Eames