News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Beer

Started by Bad Penny II, December 17, 2016, 01:21:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad Penny II

UK pricing, we pay about twice as much 'cause taxes.
Cigarettes, they cost the unfortunates like, $40 a pack.
A good tax is one you don't pay so I'm OK with that
I've been a wine drinker, much better tax treatment.
I've tried to grow veg but something always eats it
Yes I have now grown bland beer in a fancy bucket
I think Stout is the way to go, don't even need eat.

Take my advice, don't listen to me.

xSilverPhinx

:chin: Tell me something, do Aussies drink their beer warm like the Brits do?
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Bad Penny II

No, not generally but every population's got its weirdoes

Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Ecurb Noselrub

I'm partial to reds, but porters are also fun.

Recusant

Quote from: Bad Penny II on December 17, 2016, 01:21:14 PM. . . I think Stout is the way to go, don't even need eat.

There was a time when I regularly had Tooth's Sheaf Stout for lunch. It was something to look forward to!
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 17, 2016, 01:40:35 PM

Brits drink lager cold.

The "warm beer" bit cones from the diff between beer and ale. Beers are ok cooled but ales, made without hops, do not work - taste-wise - below a certain temperature. Cellars are usually about  6 -11oC, 42 - 52oF. Warmish to Yanks and Ozzies.

One rarely sees brown ale or mild ale. India Pale Ale still exists I am told and the epitome of ales, "barely wine", is also to be found. Bitter is made with hops, an import ftom Belgium a few centuries ago - drink that cold if you like.

Ice cold ale is like ice cold red wine, the stuff of shudders!

In my favourite eatery the lager is under pressure and runs through a chiller hut the "real ales" are in kegs that just sit on the bar, gravity drawn via a beer tap. Not as good as a proper cellar but near enough. Better to be just under room temp.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Gloucester on December 17, 2016, 04:10:45 PM

Brits drink lager cold.

The "warm beer" bit cones from the diff between beer and ale. Beers are ok cooled but ales, made without hops, do not work - taste-wise - below a certain temperature. Cellars are usually about  6 -11oC, 42 - 52oF. Warmish to Yanks and Ozzies.

One rarely sees brown ale or mild ale. India Pale Ale still exists I am told and the epitome of ales, "barely wine", is also to be found. Bitter is made with hops, an import ftom Belgium a few centuries ago - drink that cold if you like.

In my favourite eatery the lager is under pressure and runs through a chiller hut the "real ales" are in kegs that just sit on the bar, gravity drawn via a beer tap. Not as good as a proper cellar but near enough. Better to be just under room temp.

Ok.  ;D

I asked out of curiosity, can't say I'm feeling adventurous enough to try. I haven't drunk a sip of beer since I was about 11 or 12 and stole one of my father's cans. I don't remember the brand but I do remember it tasted awfully bitter, and it possibly put me off beer and similar drinks forever.  :bleh:

Arturo

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 19, 2016, 12:42:08 AM

Brits drink lager cold.

Ok.  ;D

I asked out of curiosity, can't say I'm feeling adventurous enough to try. I haven't drunk a sip of beer since I was about 11 or 12 and stole one of my father's cans. I don't remember the brand but I do remember it tasted awfully bitter, and it possibly put me off beer and similar drinks forever.  :bleh:

My uncle gave me a taste of his beer when I was about 2.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 19, 2016, 12:42:08 AM

Brits drink lager cold.

Ok.  ;D

Yes, I thought beer tasted terrible when I first tasted it - but I persevered to qualify as a "man" like the resr of the boozers around me.

Now I actually like the taste! But not the volume...

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Apathy on December 19, 2016, 08:17:26 AM
My uncle gave me a taste of his beer when I was about 2.

:chin: Interesting. You remember that? I don't remember anything from when I was 2.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Gloucester on December 19, 2016, 08:36:32 AM
Yes, I thought beer tasted terrible when I first tasted it - but I persevered to qualify as a "man" like the resr of the boozers around me.

It must have done something to your taste buds. :P ;)

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 19, 2016, 09:22:25 AM
Quote from: Gloucester on December 19, 2016, 08:36:32 AM

It must have done something to your taste buds. :P ;)

Yes, but I still can't stand really dry wines and sherries!

Asmodean

Asmos don't like beer. The taste disagrees with them. However, The Asmo, the Asmoest of all Asmos, may have a glass every now and then if the company provides a sufficient positive counterweight to Asmos' natural aversion to the taste.

Now, how can He further complicate this explanation?  :headscratch:
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Magdalena

Quote from: Asmodean on December 19, 2016, 11:04:27 AM
Asmos don't like beer. The taste disagrees with them. However, The Asmo, the Asmoest of all Asmos, may have a glass every now and then if the company provides a sufficient positive counterweight to Asmos' natural aversion to the taste.

Who you drink with makes a huge difference. :beer:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Asmodean on December 19, 2016, 11:04:27 AM

The only thing that isn't clear to a non-social drinker is if you're referring to pleasant company or boring people.  :scratch:

I'd imagine that a few beers would cause someone who isn't all that fun to be around to loosen up a little.