News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Brexit

Started by Ecurb Noselrub, June 24, 2016, 05:08:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on January 16, 2019, 01:32:54 AM
Quote from: Tank on January 15, 2019, 08:24:05 PM
Absolutely unknown territory now. Never seen anything like this in my life before. In fact nobody has.

If it's any consolation, I slipped again and my toe is really killing me today.

Do you wear steel cap boots? They may help to prevent this type of accident.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Tank on January 15, 2019, 08:13:44 PM
Tomorrow there will be a vote of no confidence in the government by parliament. She will loose and that will force a general election.

Pundits I've heard seem to think she'll survive with the DUPers declared support.

Another vote on exit seems reasonable to me, presumably people would be better informed now.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Tank

Quote from: Bad Penny II on January 16, 2019, 09:22:49 AM
Quote from: Tank on January 15, 2019, 08:13:44 PM
Tomorrow there will be a vote of no confidence in the government by parliament. She will loose and that will force a general election.

Pundits I've heard seem to think she'll survive with the DUPers declared support.

Another vote on exit seems reasonable to me, presumably people would be better informed now.

You are correct. It would appear that as long as all the Conservatives vote as they should then she will survive. But it will only take a few to abstain or vote against and she, and with her the government, will fall. Just before Christmas there was an attempt within the Conservative party to oust May. As that failed their party rules preclude them trying again for a year. If a few of the Conservatives really want May gone and to force a leadership election and general election they just might vote against her.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

jumbojak

Quote from: Tank on January 16, 2019, 06:10:13 AM
Absolutely unknown territory now. Never seen anything like this in my life before. In fact nobody has.

Oh dear! That's no consolation at all. Do be careful.

Oh c'mon Chris, it might hurt but that was funny!

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

jumbojak

Quote from: hermes2015 on January 16, 2019, 06:19:56 AM

Do you wear steel cap boots? They may help to prevent this type of accident.

I do but the injury happened while wearing just socks at my mom's house. Funny story though, yesterday I had to make a final court appearance and I set off the metal detector going in. The officer asked if my boots were steel toe and I assured her that they were not as I bought these specifically not to have a steel cap due to the weight pulling on my hips.

They don't feel like steel toe, they don't say steel toe anywhere on them like safety shoes are supposed to, but the wand didn't lie. They thought I had an ankle holster... very good boots at any rate.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on January 16, 2019, 12:39:09 AM
The crisis was created by the people. They voted for Brexit.  You reap what you sow.  Just like we are with Trump.

They voted to sow but they haven't sown yet
They may vote not sow.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Bad Penny II on January 16, 2019, 01:22:45 PM
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on January 16, 2019, 12:39:09 AM
The crisis was created by the people. They voted for Brexit.  You reap what you sow.  Just like we are with Trump.

They voted to sow but they haven't sown yet
They may vote not sow.

Direct democracy is dangerous. Representative democracy at least allows some reasoned debate by people who understand the issue. If you get to vote again every time the outcome is not to your liking, why not vote a third time?

Icarus

Ecurb, our very own representatives have somehow managed not to indulge in reasoned debate by people who understand the issues.  I will blame that on our ill informed voters or should I say dumb ass voters, many of whom failed ninth grade civics classes.

For heavens sake, how did we manage to elect a leader whose head is constantly in a place where the sun does not shine and who has become one of histories most inveterate liars.   Ms May is at least aware of the implications and consequences of her Brexit arrangements. 

Tank

Well she survived the vote. By exactly the number expected. It looks like the votes she bought for £1 billion paid off. It's bizarre but it is illegal to 'buy' votes in the UK yet she did exactly that!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on January 17, 2019, 07:55:28 AM
Well she survived the vote. By exactly the number expected. It looks like the votes she bought for £1 billion paid off. It's bizarre but it is illegal to 'buy' votes in the UK yet she did exactly that!

The plot thickens...

:popcorn:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey