News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Should we talk about the weather?

Started by Eric V Arachnid, December 28, 2014, 12:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jumbojak

Looks like we're going to get rain all week. My plans are shot!

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Harmonie

Shockingly we're still getting some cold shots to keep us from the inevitable incoming heat. I mean, last year winter was gone without a trace by this point.

Still really moisture starved, though. We're getting freezing drizzle. Oh boy.  ::) To kids these days, snow must be a myth because we just can't seem to ever get it.

Icon Image by Cherubunny on Tumblr
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Buddy

Quote from: Guardian85 on February 10, 2018, 12:20:28 PM
Quote from: Buddy on February 10, 2018, 03:26:42 AM
So my little corner of Northern Indiana got hit by a storm that dumped a fair bit of snow on us in the last 24 hours. It is amazing how many people have suddenly forgotten how to drive. We have these big ass 4WD SUVs sliding off the road and skidding through intersections. That or putting around at 10 miles an hour on a straight, plowed road.
Always fun for us Scandinavians to watch, though....  :popcorn:

True, but I feel like anyone who gets passed while driving a huge SUV, in a snowstorm, by a Mini Cooper, should re-evaluate their driving ability
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Dave

Quote from: Buddy on February 10, 2018, 06:26:13 PM
Quote from: Guardian85 on February 10, 2018, 12:20:28 PM
Quote from: Buddy on February 10, 2018, 03:26:42 AM
So my little corner of Northern Indiana got hit by a storm that dumped a fair bit of snow on us in the last 24 hours. It is amazing how many people have suddenly forgotten how to drive. We have these big ass 4WD SUVs sliding off the road and skidding through intersections. That or putting around at 10 miles an hour on a straight, plowed road.
Always fun for us Scandinavians to watch, though....  :popcorn:

True, but I feel like anyone who gets passed while driving a huge SUV, in a snowstorm, by a Mini Cooper, should re-evaluate their driving ability
I got quite bored driving my old mini on snow, much too stable. My old MGB Roadster was much more fun, going round corners sideways or doing 360s on big car parks at 3am! But I learned a lot about slide recovery as well.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Buddy

Ha, my Mazda Tribute was the same way. When my mom took me out in it to learn how to recover from losing traction we had to stop and use her Jeep because no matter how hard we tried, it wouldn't slide.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Bluenose

Yeah, well guys, the most important accessory to have in your car over here at this time of year is a reflective sun screen to put up in your windscreen when parked. Lest you discover later on exactly what it might feel like to grab a red hot poker when you hold the steering wheel...  :D
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Dave

Quote from: Bluenose on February 11, 2018, 12:58:47 PM
Yeah, well guys, the most important accessory to have in your car over here at this time of year is a reflective sun screen to put up in your windscreen when parked. Lest you discover later on exactly what it might feel like to grab a red hot poker when you hold the steering wheel...  :D

Or burn your bum on leather/plastic car seats if you are wearing only trunks. That sun in Bahrain gets a bit warm (highest whilst I was there was 60/140F on the day I pulled airfield guard duty; black flags flying, going around in pairs and carrying water mandatory. . .)

Bluenose

Quote from: Dave on February 11, 2018, 02:56:53 PM
Quote from: Bluenose on February 11, 2018, 12:58:47 PM

Or burn your bum on leather/plastic car seats if you are wearing only trunks. That sun in Bahrain gets a bit warm (highest whilst I was there was 60/140F on the day I pulled airfield guard duty; black flags flying, going around in pairs and carrying water mandatory. . .)

Too right!  ...and the seat-belt buckle makes a pretty good branding-iron as well!
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Tom62

We had several centimeters of snow in the last couple of days. The weather forecast doesn't look good either for the next 14 days.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Dragonia

Here, it's just WET. It's been rainy, but even after no rain for a couple days, everything is just WET from humidity and cool steam. The chicken poop in the coop had grown huge fluffy clouds of mold in the last couple days, and shoes left on the porch are in danger of molding too. It's just nasty. Worse than living in a basement in Seattle.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

Biggus Dickus

We really got hit here in southeast Michigan last week with snow, and cold weather. In fact here around Detroit we got about 16 inches, most of which fell on Friday...took all weekend to dig out.

Caused major issues with work,...still haven't caught up yet.

This week it will be dry and cold, but should start to warm up by the weekend.

WINTER IS HERE IN FORCE!
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Harmonie

Quote from: Papasito Bruno on February 13, 2018, 03:31:38 PM
We really got hit here in southeast Michigan last week with snow, and cold weather. In fact here around Detroit we got about 16 inches, most of which fell on Friday...took all weekend to dig out.

Caused major issues with work,...still haven't caught up yet.

This week it will be dry and cold, but should start to warm up by the weekend.

WINTER IS HERE IN FORCE!

Enjoy it for me. Looks like I really won't be seeing any snow on campus before I graduate. =(

If we really do move up Northeast I know I'll be seeing plenty of snow, but... still... The amount of snow we've gotten in recent years here has been so pathetic.

Icon Image by Cherubunny on Tumblr
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Dave

Not really weather but, in view of recent events in Mexico et al I didn't want to open an "Earthquake" thread for this.

Wales just had a magnitude 4.2 esrthquake and we felt it here!

https://earthquaketrack.com/gb-wls-clydach/recent

Just sitting there wondering why things were rattling when no nloody great truck was passing when everything went sideways, then back, then again. No damage here, even the "seasonal" crack in my wall did not get worse. Left front foor unlocked, just in case that was only a starter. No aftershocks so far.

hermes2015

Quote from: Dave on February 17, 2018, 03:22:01 PM
.... Left front foor unlocked, just in case that was only a starter. No aftershocks so far.

What's your address? I need a few things.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on February 18, 2018, 03:35:33 AM
Quote from: Dave on February 17, 2018, 03:22:01 PM
.... Left front foor unlocked, just in case that was only a starter. No aftershocks so far.

What's your address? I need a few things.

Ah, that's only the "street door" to the stairs, that needs a key to get it open! There are separate front foors to the flats that are more easily opened from the inside.  Seconds spent fiddling with keys can be important if your house is falling apart around you!

:)