Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
One is rsrely fully sstisfied with one's own work. The feeling of the need to improve your technique does not surprise me,

You are so right. The worst time is in the morning, when I look at the previous day's work and see how terrible it is.
Laid Back Lounge / Re: Reasons to be cheerful!
« Last post by Dave on Today at 05:23:57 AM »
After my idea of tempting beasties to a "captive" flower using honey . . .

Aquire a bunch of flowers still in bud, cover them with a plastic bag to keep the beasties from robbing the nectar when they open (could do this to flowers actually growing if you have a garden). Take out one flower at a time, set in a vase or bottle, set up gear, grab remote trigger, put in earphones and relax on the lounger (with a glass of sonething nice.)

The best kind of nature photography!

Heh heh. If I indulged in a glass of something nice, that butterfly would land on my somnolent nose instead, and there'd be no pictures. Good for you, and I'm looking forward to some pics!

Unfortunately I have no access to a garden and would feel a little awkward employing such a technique on the sidewalk! I am not really up to carrying the required kit round the back to beside the stream (where 99% of the local flying life hang out.) Might manage my shooting stick (but, along with tripod, camera, flowers, bottle or can of something?) but that is not comfortable for long sits.

When my friend moves back into the area she and I can enjoy a glass together in her garden whilst the bees and butterflies do their thing.
Ask HAF / Re: Photography technical advice, questions, tips and techniques.
« Last post by Dave on Today at 05:08:53 AM »
Good technique and nice picture, JJ.

My technique for this type of shot still needs quite a bit of work and I really don't think it's a very good picture. I was having trouble finding the right balance between the thirty second exposure and an aperture that didn't make it look like daylight. Plus, the timing was off by about twenty minutes on the setup.

It's only my third attempt so far though and I was a bit worn down from an afternoon of heavy weed eating. After reading Hermes' comment I wanted to get something out to show where locking the focus might be advantageous.

I'm still looking for the perfect flashlight too... at least, one that isn't several hundred dollars! The color temperature of the 6D is almost perfect but the beam focusing is rather crude. There is basically a flood mode and a partial flood mode. Perhaps that's just a necessary compromise when using an incandescent bulb. I have to do more research.

One is rsrely fully sstisfied with one's own work. The feeling of the need to improve your technique does not surprise me,
There are always going to be exceptions. However, taking some asshat down a few notches isn't necessarily the same as making someone feel small.

My technique for this type of shot still needs quite a bit of work and I really don't think it's a very good picture. I was having trouble finding the right balance between the thirty second exposure and an aperture that didn't make it look like daylight. Plus, the timing was off by about twenty minutes on the setup.

It's only my third attempt so far though and I was a bit worn down from an afternoon of heavy weed eating. After reading Hermes' comment I wanted to get something out to show where locking the focus might be advantageous.

I'm still looking for the perfect flashlight too... at least, one that isn't several hundred dollars! The color temperature of the 6D is almost perfect but the beam focusing is rather crude. There is basically a flood mode and a partial flood mode. Perhaps that's just a necessary compromise when using an incandescent bulb. I have to do more research.

That is a technique I've never tried and think I should some time. Your result looks very interesting. In this case you are of course right about the focus. My comment was really about general, day to day photos when you want to take a shot quickly.
You shouldn't worry. As long as you are not talking down to anyone, you'll be fine.

I don't have a lot of formal teaching experience but through the years I have learned that in rare instances you do need to talk down to students. Some are just far too big for their britches. I went through this several times when tutoring engineering students way back in college and a few more when giving political lectures. Now I'm wondering who were worse, the snot nosed engineers or the intellectual aristocrats I ran with in political circles...?
Laid Back Lounge / Re: Reasons to be cheerful!
« Last post by Fireball on Today at 04:36:19 AM »
After my idea of tempting beasties to a "captive" flower using honey . . .

Aquire a bunch of flowers still in bud, cover them with a plastic bag to keep the beasties from robbing the nectar when they open (could do this to flowers actually growing if you have a garden). Take out one flower at a time, set in a vase or bottle, set up gear, grab remote trigger, put in earphones and relax on the lounger (with a glass of sonething nice.)

The best kind of nature photography!

Heh heh. If I indulged in a glass of something nice, that butterfly would land on my somnolent nose instead, and there'd be no pictures. Good for you, and I'm looking forward to some pics!

Ask HAF / Re: Photography technical advice, questions, tips and techniques.
« Last post by Dave on Today at 04:16:30 AM »
You shouldn't worry. As long as you are not talking down to anyone, you'll be fine.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10