Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Media / On books . . .
« Last post by Dave on Today at 06:43:03 PM »
Good Noodles! For an intellectual bunch like us books seem to have been neglected a bit.

BUMP!

Having to go into town for an eye scan I could not, of course, miss an opportunity to visit Geoff's Bookshop.

(Just a bit of it)

Mainly looking for something to help me refresh my transistor theory/circuit design, so I sought "Science" and/or "Technology".

Oh dear . . . Two whole shelves, total 1 meter, for everything from earth science to psychology - nowt on electronics. Bit on computing.

But just look at some of the titles!

Just a tad of woo amongst that lot.

I ended up with "Saving Secular Society" (£2). With nothing on my desired subject I wanted a book on the history of science, coffee table job and, at £15 over my budget!

I will relate some quotations and comments on the book later, in another thread.
Media / Re: iBooks
« Last post by Dave on Today at 06:40:28 PM »
Dave:
And we missed you!

I used to miss people, but then my aim improved.

:picard facepalm: :lol:
Laid Back Lounge / Re: xSilverPhinx's Journey Towards A Master's Thread
« Last post by No one on Today at 05:54:29 PM »
Dave:
And we missed you!

I used to miss people, but then my aim improved.
Last but not least...

Glad you survived the exam - let us know when you get the results. Are there any others after the one next Tuesday?

Well, what can I say?  :shrug: I got an email about an hour back with the words:

Spoiler: show
Congratulations! You passed the first phase of the selection process!

:jumps: :heyhey: :dance: :frolic: :cheerful dance 2: :yes!:

Next Tuesday morning is the second phase - an interview - in which I will present my research project and answer CV-related questions. It's the easier phase I am told. By next Wednesday at the latest I will know if I'm in or not.

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Great news!  :party:

Yeah. :grin: :P

20 days of cramming paid off. I curious to know my marks, they didn't say anything about that in the email. If I go well enough in both phases I get a scholarship. 
Why is the human thinking unit so defective? Why can one sometimes read things in a way that are nowhere near what they actually say?

:notsure: Not paying full attention? :notsure: Expecting to see words that are not there?

If it's something I said it's probably because it's poorly written. :lol:
Last but not least...

Glad you survived the exam - let us know when you get the results. Are there any others after the one next Tuesday?

Well, what can I say?  :shrug: I got an email about an hour back with the words:

Spoiler: show
Congratulations! You passed the first phase of the selection process!

:jumps: :heyhey: :dance: :frolic: :cheerful dance 2: :yes!:

Next Tuesday morning is the second phase - an interview - in which I will present my research project and answer CV-related questions. It's the easier phase I am told. By next Wednesday at the latest I will know if I'm in or not.

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Great news!  :party:
Laid Back Lounge / Re: xSilverPhinx's Journey Towards A Master's Thread
« Last post by No one on Today at 05:29:55 PM »
Why is the human thinking unit so defective? Why can one sometimes read things in a way that are nowhere near what they actually say?
Religion / Re: Jesus vs Muhammad 2
« Last post by No one on Today at 05:22:15 PM »
I hear JM3, WINNER TAKE ALL,  is going to be in IMAX 3D. ,
JC is an easy going dude, just don't cross him.
Laid Back Lounge / Re: Just thinkin'
« Last post by Dave on Today at 05:19:47 PM »
With five new ones, that were not there last week, there are now more, twenty something, restaurants, coffe shops, tea shops, sandwich bars, snack bars, pattiseries etc etc etc in Gloucester centre than any other type of selling place by a factor of about four, or maybe more. That is not counting the twelve in the docks complex.There are 8 charity shops and 3 "thrift" (pound) shops, 5 betting shops, two pawn/used goods shops . . .

This is an age of austerity we are told, that explains the thrift, charity and used goods shops. But at £2 for a cup of tea and £3 for a cake!! Where do all these eaters and drinkers come from!?

About the only main cuisine groups missing are French, Japanese (was once but it closed) and African/Middle Eastern. Mexican has to share with Texican.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10