News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

What is an agnostic atheist?

Started by AprilRose, September 26, 2009, 07:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Renegnicat

Yes, I read a book on Sartre at my school library some years ago. But I don't remember a single word of it, and honestly, Sartre is too impractical for my tastes. It makes so much more sense to simply say that there is perception, and not reference the self at all. Especially since perception is the only way through which we can know something yes? If, as sartre says, that we can not percieve ourselves directly, then it only makes sense to say that there is no real self in any meaningful sense of the word.

What then? The funny thing is that this line of reasoning leads to the exact opposite of descarte, who affirmed that he could know nothing but himslef. This line of thinking would propose that there is everything but the self, which simply doesn't exist in any meaningful sense!  :drool
[size=135]The best thing to do is reflect, understand, apreciate, and consider.[/size]

nikkmichalski

Actually, a few aspects of nihilism have been appealing to me lately. Especially in the epistemological sense.
Ford: "It's unpleasantly like being drunk."
Arthur: "What's so unpleasant about being drunk?"
Ford: "You ask a glass of water." -- Douglas Adams, H2G2
"'Why is it you never mentioned any of this before the plane crash?'...'I didn't think the time was ripe.' " [emphasis delightfully Vonnegut's] -- Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse-5

AlP

Quote from: "nikkmichalski"Actually, a few aspects of nihilism have been appealing to me lately. Especially in the epistemological sense.
I tried nihilism for a while. There are some preconceived ideas about morality, responsibility and self to name a few which I think are worth abandoning, if only so I can better understand them. Then came the work of starting to rebuild all that I abandoned. I kind of like that too. I like to make it my own. But I find now that I am not nihilistic. I have become the opposite, a sort of anti-nihilist.
"I rebel -- therefore we exist." - Camus

nikkmichalski

Quote from: "AlP"
Quote from: "nikkmichalski"Actually, a few aspects of nihilism have been appealing to me lately. Especially in the epistemological sense.
I tried nihilism for a while. There are some preconceived ideas about morality, responsibility and self to name a few which I think are worth abandoning, if only so I can better understand them. Then came the work of starting to rebuild all that I abandoned. I kind of like that too. I like to make it my own. But I find now that I am not nihilistic. I have become the opposite, a sort of anti-nihilist.

I see. And nice sig, BTW, that's a great song.
"'Why is it you never mentioned any of this before the plane crash?'...'I didn't think the time was ripe.' " [emphasis delightfully Vonnegut's] -- Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse-5

AlP

Quote from: "nikkmichalski"I see. And nice sig, BTW, that's a great song.
Thanks. I just changed it. So your post makes sense in the future, this is my old sig.

"Something inside of me has opened up its eyes
Why did you put it there did you not realize
This thing inside of me it screams the loudest sound
Sometimes I think I could"
-- Trent Reznor, Burn

nikkmichalski

Quote from: "AlP"
Quote from: "nikkmichalski"I see. And nice sig, BTW, that's a great song.
Thanks. I just changed it. So your post makes sense in the future, this is my old sig.

"Something inside of me has opened up its eyes
Why did you put it there did you not realize
This thing inside of me it screams the loudest sound
Sometimes I think I could"
-- Trent Reznor, Burn

Is that from "The Stranger"? It doesn't sound familiar, so I'm guessing not. It's all of his I've read so far.

AlP

Quote from: "nikkmichalski"Is that from "The Stranger"? It doesn't sound familiar, so I'm guessing not. It's all of his I've read so far.
This?

"What I know, what is certain, what I cannot deny, what I cannot reject - this is what counts. I can negate everything of that part of me that lives on vague nostalgias, except this desire for unity, this longing to solve, this need for clarity and cohesion."

It's from The Myth of Sisyphus.