News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

HAF Photo Challenge: The Five Elements

Started by Recusant, May 04, 2018, 03:26:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

For this iteration of the HAF Photo Challenge I've chosen the theme of Five Elements. This refers the the classical elements of Greece, adopted by alchemists and others -- Earth, Water, Air, Fire, and Aether.

I'm not particular about how people wish to portray these elements. For instance, pottery combines the first four of the classical elements, so if you wanted to show some pottery that would be fine. Plants combine the first three, so photos of flowers would be completely acceptable. I hope you get the idea. Of course images of fire or water, etc. are great too. Aether is a bit of a wild card. It's also sometimes called "quintessence" which is a somewhat vague category, so open to fanciful interpretation.

I know more specific themes can be easier to portray but in keeping with the name, this one provides a challenge as well as a wide open field for the imagination.  :sidesmile:

Up to five photos will be accepted from each member, and I will accept entries until about the 25th of this month. Please send them to me preferably via PM, or via the email address in my profile: recusantathaf |at| gmail.com.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Biggus Dickus

Wonderful topic choice Recusant, this should be very interesting especially from our group here at HAF.

Looking forward to putting something interesting together for my entries, as well as seeing what everyone else comes up with.

8)
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Recusant

Bump, to remind people that the field is still wide open (not many entries as yet).  ;)
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Recusant

Hmm, perhaps people are struggling to think of ways to depict the elements. I'm going to extend the deadline a week or so to give them a chance.  :)
— H. L. Mencken

Dave

Quote from: Recusant on May 26, 2018, 06:05:09 PM
Hmm, perhaps people are struggling to think of ways to depict the elements. I'm going to extend the deadline a week or so to give them a chance.  :)

It is a tough one!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

No one

Dave

Quote from: No one on May 26, 2018, 06:15:49 PM

Does this count?

Flame hair, water coloured eyes, steely look, confident air about her . . .

Why not?

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

It's Milla Jojovitch as Leelo in "The Fith Element".

That's pretty aetherial!