News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Nobel Laureate James Watson Loses Honorary Titles Over Race Comments

Started by xSilverPhinx, January 22, 2019, 08:30:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Recusant on January 24, 2019, 12:17:56 AM
The Cold Spring Harbor statement can be found here. Basically they say that the opinions he expressed on the television show amounted to a reversal of his earlier retraction of the same opinions, and this prompted their response.

Years ago I had a long discussion with somebody who felt that Watson was being unfairly punished for what the person claimed were essentially truthful statements. When I produced evidence that there isn't any substantial basis for Watson's claims, I got "refutations" from J. Phillipe Rushton and others of his ilk, mostly associated with the Pioneer Fund. Ah, memories.  :snicker1:

Rushton is a joke.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on January 25, 2019, 06:32:49 AM
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on January 25, 2019, 02:35:44 AM
Quote from: Icarus on January 23, 2019, 11:46:00 PM
Ecurb, perhaps not a difference in capacity but a difference in motivation because of the difference in cultural, economic, or environmental factors.

The same person raised in an environment of abuse will have greater capacity if raised in an environment of love. Nurture matters.

My wife is currently researching and writing on Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs). These can be things like poverty, abuse, poor or no education, parental loss and/or divorce etc. There is a correlation and apparent causation, of psychological issues later in life. Nurture is very important in development.

That along with early life stress are subjects I find fascinating. My end of course undergrad project was to do with the effect of trauma in adolescence and the evolution of the pathological traumatic memory in adulthood (article in progress!). 

Tank

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 27, 2019, 09:09:09 PM
Ecurb, perhaps not a difference in capacity but a difference in motivation because of the difference in cultural, economic, or environmental factors.

The same person raised in an environment of abuse will have greater capacity if raised in an environment of love. Nurture matters.

My wife is currently researching and writing on Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs). These can be things like poverty, abuse, poor or no education, parental loss and/or divorce etc. There is a correlation and apparent causation, of psychological issues later in life. Nurture is very important in development.

That along with early life stress are subjects I find fascinating. My end of course undergrad project was to do with the effect of trauma in adolescence and the evolution of the pathological traumatic memory in adulthood (article in progress!).

I read this to my wife she was most interested.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on January 27, 2019, 09:16:08 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 27, 2019, 09:09:09 PM

I read this to my wife she was most interested.

Cool! :grin: Basically my results suggest adolescent males who acquire a traumatic memory generalise that memory to neutral/safe contexts way quicker than is the case when adult males undergo the same stressful event. In other words, 'safe' cues will trigger memories acquired in aversive environments.

Results with females are...eh...inconclusive.  ::)

Memory generalisation is adaptive, as it allows animals to respond to events that are similar to others the animal has experienced, but overgeneralisation is an underlying symptom of anxiety disorders such as PTSD. It makes sense that younger animals will generalise memories sooner as some of the brain stuctures supporting the later-stage memory are immature (such as the prefrontal cortex). In even younger animals the hippocampus is also immature, which would accelerate the generalisation of memories even more because the hippocampus helps keep memories context-specific. 

I'm hoping by the end of the year the paper will be published. :smilenod: