News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Suicide

Started by Medusa, August 25, 2011, 10:25:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Medusa

How do you feel about suicide in general? Your own attempts? Friends or family members who have committed suicide? Assisted suicide in general.

To give some personal background and participate right up front in this discussion....

I have personally attempted suicide. Once when I was a teenager (which I found was my first real bout with my bi polar illness) and then once again on an overdose of sleeping pills which landed me in the hospital. Both, for me, were a very real symptom of my bi polar illness not in check. I am quite grateful for being a failure at this one thing in my life for sure.

As for assisted suicide, I would have to say I don't have a definitive answer. But would find myself thinking about it on a case by case scenario. Though I do think those that really want to do it, should be able to. I would just want to make sure they are cleared of any mental illness first and deemed in sound state of mind.
She has the blood of reptile....just underneath her skin...

Asmodean

The owner of a life should be free to end it at will unless the act of ending it directly endangers others. Pretty much end of opinion there...

I know my way around a suicide, but do not wish to discuss the methods or the whys of my attempts
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Sweetdeath

A person should be free to take their own life, no matter the reason.  Period.

People who wish to stop them from doing so are selfish.

The only time I am against suicide is only when someone is bullied into it.  That is really horrible, and should be considered murder.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

xSilverPhinx

I think that assisted suicide is ok for people with terminal illness, but really doubt that anybody wanting to end their own life in any other circumstance is sound of mind. Sure it's their life but IMO their ability to make good decisions is reduced.

I'm not aware of the number of percentages of people who have found after their attempt has failed that they're glad they didn't succeed. I'd even risk saying that most people who attempt suicide don't actually want to die just for the sake of dying. I don't know.

Though Sweetdeath does mention an interesting point about those trying to keep people from committing suicide being selfish. But death is a one way street, and so I strongly feel that it's a last resort and not okay whatever the reason. Just in a few circumstances. Whether others (the ones who would continue living) are being selfish or not is irrelevant.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

hismikeness

I think it can also be argued that suicide is one of the most selfish acts someone can commit. What about the people in their life who depend on them and love them and have to take care of the situation once they've expired? Their grief, etc.

So the whole thing is selfish all the way around, and someone is going to end up hurt afterward. And that's a bummer. I think that in almost all cases there is a better option than ending it all. I've never been to that point (or close to it even) myself, but I've worked with teenagers who have been, and mentioning the selfishness of it would derail them. Although, it was usually pretty evident when the "suicide talk" started, it was a cry for help and attention, and nothing more. Rarely did I see any actions being taken or plans to commit suicide being made.

All of that said, if someone wants to end it, and they've considered every other option, no one should be told they can't. Just don't jump off a highway overpass or anything that requires messy cleanup.
No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: hismikeness on August 25, 2011, 04:10:24 PM
Just don't jump off a highway overpass or anything that requires messy cleanup.

There was a guy living in my neighbourhood who was kind enough to wrap himself up in a blanket or carpet before he leaped from his apartment's window. Some say he did that so as not to make a mess.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Davin

Quote from: Asmodean on August 25, 2011, 10:32:09 AMThe owner of a life should be free to end it at will unless the act of ending it directly endangers others. Pretty much end of opinion there...
This is also my opinion on the matter. Bringing up selfishness is useless because everyone is selfish (and there's nothing wrong with it). The point ultimately comes down to whether one thinks a person should be in control of their own life or not.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Sweetdeath

Oh, yeah, I forgot assisted suicides!  That's fine. 
If someone is seriously and painfully dying from cancer, AIDS, or even has dementia or MS, and wants to die with dignity, thet have the right.

For the most part, we all go through our teenage emo moments and do the suicide thought. Everyonr's thought of it at least once maybe.  But young people who commit suicide is sad.  I did have a friend who slit her own throat and survived when we were both 18. I was really freaked out, and like Silver says, she is glad to be alive.

I still think though that people have a right to suicide on their OWN terms.
What's more selfish: a seriously depressed person wanting to commit suicide or a person trying to stop them from doing so? It's selfish either way, but it's not your life.

Also, randomly wanting to bring up how annoying I find it that suicide is considered a sin in the bible.   Then again, what isn't? Am I right? :/

Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Asmodean

Quote from: Sweetdeath on August 25, 2011, 05:59:35 PM
AIDS
Just because I'm a pedantic old fool, lemme point out that AIDS, or rather the virus that causes it, will not kill you - it's the opportunistic infections taking advantage of immunocompromised hosts.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Sweetdeath

I know, but it still sucks. :<  I wouldn't want to be sick all the time.

fester30

If they're gonna die they better do it, and decrease the surplus population.

Melmoth

Quote from: xSilverPhinxI think that assisted suicide is ok for people with terminal illness, but really doubt that anybody wanting to end their own life in any other circumstance is sound of mind. Sure it's their life but IMO their ability to make good decisions is reduced.

This.

Quote from: hismikenessI think it can also be argued that suicide is one of the most selfish acts someone can commit. What about the people in their life who depend on them and love them and have to take care of the situation once they've expired? Their grief, etc.

You're asking suicidal people to be reasonable - they're not. I won't give the material details of my own experience in this, but whenever I've been in that position it hasn't felt like a choice. People talk about 'considering' suicide and that word is extremely misleading. It isn't like selecting a mortgage. It isn't just one 'option' out of several to be carefully weighed up and selected based on its moral or practical merits.

Also, I've heard people say things like "I've considered suicide, but decided not to in the end because it would be selfish." Those people have never been suicidal and don't know what they're talking about, in my opinion. They're also, usually, young people who have no dependants and who's loss the world could easily bear. Few people are so important that their deaths would really matter, and there are much more selfish and damaging things I can think of than just ceasing to exist.

edit:typo
"That life has no meaning is a reason to live - moreover, the only one." - Emil Cioran.

Stevil

I think suicide is sad,

especially the events leading to it and the sadness that the person must be going through. People ought to be much more compassionate, but regardless, life can sometime be extremely sad.

I am all for Euthanasia, I don't think it is right to make people suffer. I really don't like people dictating this suffering into law based on their personal beliefs.

Medusa

I think the reason some people think suicide is selfish might be their true lack of understanding just what the suicidee is thinking. It's hard to be in that very dark place. Suicides don't think oh I just want to END MY LIFE. In fact it's probably the very last thing in a list of hopelessness that leads them there. They simply want the pain to stop. I am speaking of the emotional pain. As a person who was having mood swings every 30 minutes at my worst, it completely drains you. And you just want off the ride. All the hands of hope have withdrawn at this point. As for being selfish and thinking of the survivors? We do think of them. And we make the horrible realization that having us removed from the living is best for everyone around. THAT'S a dark place to be.
She has the blood of reptile....just underneath her skin...

fester30

In some cases suicides can be very selfless, at least in their intentions.  We had a guy at work who failed his physical fitness test a few times because of back problems.  The Air Force was preparing to separate him.  He had spent 15 years in.  15 years toward a retirement he wouldn't see.  Instead of sending him to the medical evaluation board so he could be compensated for some of the injuries he received while serving his country, they were simply going to separate him and send him on his way.  At his age, he didn't see where he could start another career with his education and experience that would feed his family and establish a retirement.  He felt the best way to go was suicide, because his family would be left with the 400,000 SGLI, 100,000 death gratuity, and a percentage of his income for the rest of his wife's life.  Military is pretty unique in that suicide does not automatically disqualify your dependents from the life insurance.  So he killed himself, with his thoughts being that this is the only way he felt he could truly provide for his family that he loved so much.