News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Do you have a login problem?

Started by AnimatedDirt, February 03, 2011, 06:43:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: "Whitney"I received the following in email today...any suggestions?

QuoteHi Rastelin from the forum here. I tried to log in to the happy atheist forum but it would not accept my log in data. I requested a new password and got it, but it did not help either.
It tells me that my account is activated and all, but nevertheless refuse to accept the log in.

It all started after the code confirmation was introduced. Please help. I am out of ideas.

note, since this email was sent to me from an account different than the one Rastelin used to register I have asked the person to send me an email from the registered account...waiting on response.

He says he already reset his password.

We have already ruled out it being a new computer or it being Caps Lock.

When he emails me from his registered account I was thinking of trying manually changing the password then emailing the new one to him.

What else could it be? (or if I don't get an email as requested I'll assume it was attempted theft of the account)
You could reset the password manually and then get McQ to try to log in briefly just to see if the login is working correctly from a known functioning PC. If all is well then tell Rastelin the password and all things being equal he should be able to log in as well.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Whitney

Quote from: "Tank"You could reset the password manually and then get McQ to try to log in briefly just to see if the login is working correctly from a known functioning PC. If all is well then tell Rastelin the password and all things being equal he should be able to log in as well.

good idea (or I could even test it by trying to log in).  For now I'm still waiting to be emailed back...don't want to reset anything till after that.

Asmodean

Before you guys do anything drastic, always try deleting temp files, cookies, and saved passwords.

It's actually quite amazing, how many problems that simple solution can fix.

That done, run a virus scan. THAT done, request a new password (possibly one manually changed by an admin). That done and still not working, get pissed off and smash something. Don't stab yourself in the eye with a letter opener though... Is painful  :P

(Actually, get phpBB support then)
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

The Magic Pudding

If you have to do the manual entry of username watch the auto fill of your password because it may put an old one in, and you can't tell cause all you see is dots.

Whitney

Quote from: "The Magic Pudding"If you have to do the manual entry of username watch the auto fill of your password because it may put an old one in, and you can't tell cause all you see is dots.

lol...yes it does that.  But it doesn't autofill the confirmation field so that's a good reminder.

I still haven't gotten an email from his registered email account (requested it over 12 hours ago with no response)...starting to think this was an elaborate attempt to steal an account.