News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Custom ranks...

Started by hackenslash, January 16, 2011, 01:43:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackenslash

This is a feature that is simple to implement, and serves as useful to those joining us late in the broadcast. It isn't that I don't like the ranking system as it is, but something more fun and friendly would be good. On one forum, my rank is 'fundie baiter. Errr, fun debater', which is a bit of fun, and not entirely inapproriate, I think.

I'll be guided by your good selves, as I am aware that this may not be fitting for the tenor of the forum, which I am still learning to cope with. My usual style is much more aggressive than I am employing here, and yet I've still been asked to wind it in a bit, which is fine, and I am trying to do just that.

Peace.
There is no more formidable or insuperable barrier to knowledge than the certainty you already possess it.

LegendarySandwich

This is something I'd like to see implemented.

terranus

I am from the South and therefore afraid of change. As such, I vote against this new proposal.  :P
Trovas Veron!
--terranus | http://terranus.org--

Whitney

It's not easy to implement, I would have to go create a special rank for every active member.  There are already a couple places to customize profiles..worldview, avatar, and signature.

xSilverPhinx

It's a pity, I loved the 'Dawkinator' custom title 8)
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on August 25, 2011, 03:23:43 AM
You appear to have got your wish!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Recusant

A thought that's been bouncing around in my head for a while, and since this thread was necroed, I might as well spit it out: Perhaps it would be possible to allow those who have achieved the rank of "Older than the Big Bang" to write their own custom rank?  I don't know how easy that would be to implement on HAF's current software, but I know for a fact that it's a mod that's available for some forum software.

At my current rate of posting, it will be a looong time before I would be able to make use of this mod; as I said it's just a thought that I had.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on August 25, 2011, 08:26:50 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on August 25, 2011, 03:23:43 AM
You appear to have got your wish!

It's not going to change?  8)

I echo what Recusant said. If it's too much trouble, maybe allow users who have reached a certain number of posts to choose their custom title?

Whitney

everyone can write in a custom title on SMF...just go to your profile then forum profile information then type in a custom title.  It will show in addition to your rank....

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Whitney on August 25, 2011, 02:30:54 PM
everyone can write in a custom title on SMF...just go to your profile then forum profile information then type in a custom title.  It will show in addition to your rank....

Derp sorry, I meant custom rank and not custom title.

OldGit

^ This is done over at Venganza after 5,000 posts.  Everyone is asked for suggestions for your title, a vote is held and you've got it.  It may not be the one you really wanted.  ;D

Ihateyoumike

I don't like these ideas for the same reason I thought 50 posts was too much. I don't think it's a good idea to give people incentive to post that much. It seems to me that it'd bring out many peoples' inner-post-whore and the quality of posts overall would decline in favor of more 1 word posts and useless posts.
Prayers that need no answer now, cause I'm tired of who I am
You were my greatest mistake, I fell in love with your sin
Your littlest sin.

Tank

Quote from: Ihateyoumike on August 25, 2011, 05:05:02 PM
I don't like these ideas for the same reason I thought 50 posts was too much. I don't think it's a good idea to give people incentive to post that much. It seems to me that it'd bring out many peoples' inner-post-whore and the quality of posts overall would decline in favor of more 1 word posts and useless posts.
Couldn't have said it better myself, there's only one post whore here and it's me!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Ihateyoumike

Quote from: Tank on August 25, 2011, 05:18:31 PM
Couldn't have said it better myself, there's only one post whore here and it's me!

Amen! To that.
Prayers that need no answer now, cause I'm tired of who I am
You were my greatest mistake, I fell in love with your sin
Your littlest sin.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: OldGit on August 25, 2011, 04:55:33 PM
^ This is done over at Venganza after 5,000 posts.  Everyone is asked for suggestions for your title, a vote is held and you've got it.  It may not be the one you really wanted.  ;D

Heheh looks like it defeats the purpose (yet another freely chosen piece of information to display to all who don't click on your profile). But displaying something other people have chosen for you is still...fun?  :-\

I've taken a liking to info bytes ;D

You've got a good point there.

Quote from: Tank on August 25, 2011, 05:18:31 PMCouldn't have said it better myself, there's only one post whore here and it's me!

And you became a moderator! How did that turn out? Reward or punishment?  ;D