News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Inkscape to Illustrator help

Started by Whitney, May 09, 2011, 10:19:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitney

If anyone has Illustrator and would be willing to convert an inkscape svg or eps into an .ai format compatible with Illustrator 9 please let me know and I'll email you the file.  I think it is easy to convert; you should just open illustrator and Import the file then save it.

Thanks.

The only times I wish I had illustrator is when people want stuff in .ai format; otherwise I'm happy with Inkscape...but today is one of those times I wish I had tons of money to drop on programs that I only use a few times a year.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Whitney on May 09, 2011, 10:19:01 PM
If anyone has Illustrator and would be willing to convert an inkscape svg or eps into an .ai format compatible with Illustrator 9 please let me know and I'll email you the file.  I think it is easy to convert; you should just open illustrator and Import the file then save it.

Thanks.

The only times I wish I had illustrator is when people want stuff in .ai format; otherwise I'm happy with Inkscape...but today is one of those times I wish I had tons of money to drop on programs that I only use a few times a year.

I've got illustrator CS (CS=11), but a crap internet connection.  I'm happy to try but it might be best to zip it before sending.

Whitney

Thanks, I sent you the svg and eps files zipped together in a folder.  It was 25kb; let me know if I should send again with just one file type and if so which type.

The Magic Pudding

My attempt failed, so if any one else can help....

Whitney

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on May 10, 2011, 02:10:15 AM
My attempt failed, so if any one else can help....

After you had problems I started the trial of Illustrator downloading (thankfully they had updated the way that is done and it didn't take forever like it has in the past when i usually had to contact customer support to make it work).

I think the file's page format was too big for illustrator because it wouldn't let me create a page that size; and that could be why it couldn't read the files (it knew that they were svg files).  So I recreated the damned thing using the trial of illustrator and sent it off with a note that the sign shop will have to make the awning the appropriate length and center the graphic (which hopefully isn't too hard for them considering the reason I was doing this is because they couldn't get the simple layout done on their own).

So, thanks...even your unsuccessful attempt helped me figure out that maybe it wasn't a problem with the shop guy not knowing how to open files.  Though I have to say that I'm disappointed in adobe that my little freeware program can create larger page layouts than illustrator.