News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Kudo?

Started by PapistItalian16, May 04, 2011, 06:37:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PapistItalian16

I know what Kudos are in real life, and I dont expect them to be any different on here, but could someone explain exactly what the mean on here?

And if I get a certain amount of negative Kutdos, do I get kicked or anything?

Just curious, as it seems I am already -2.  :-\

Not that I really care. I'm just bored in studyhall. hahaha.

River: (speaking about the Bible) "It's broken. It doesn't make sense."
Shepherd Book: "It's not about making sense. It's about believing in something, and letting that belief be real enough to change your life. It's about faith. You don't fix faith, River. It fixes you."

-- Firefly.

Whitney

On the SMF forum software the +/- system is by default called karma.  Since karma has religious meaning I went into the settings and renamed it Kudos.  It has no actual purpose aside from giving people a general idea of who is posting comments that other members here like.  We've only had it for a couple days so it's still mainly just an experiment that will only keep going if it doesn't end up causing issues.

TeresaBenedicta

Out of curiosity, does it show which post(s) earned kudo points?  Or is it simply based off of a user's profile?
All men by nature desire to know. -Aristotle

The study of philosophy does not mean to learn what others have thought but to learn what is the truth of things. -St. Thomas Aquinas

Whitney

Quote from: TeresaBenedicta on May 04, 2011, 09:07:37 PM
Out of curiosity, does it show which post(s) earned kudo points?  Or is it simply based off of a user's profile?
There is a mod that can add that ability...my understanding is that it is not compatible with the about to be released update of SMF though.

So...currently, no it's just a general point system.  But in the future I should be able to tie it to a post.

Recusant

I know you didn't solicit any member input on this feature Whitney, but I'm going to be a bit presumptuous and offer my opinion that its influence is minimal in regards to the positive atmosphere of HAF (though I guess it offers an ego boost to members who've received a number of positive votes).

A negative vote is an easy way to express disapproval I suppose, but I think it's  better to take the time to write even a brief post.  Some of the theists (and atheists and agnostics of course) who've been members here over the years would definitely deserve a healthy pile of negative votes.  Even so, the fact that the theist view is in the minority here, and that a religious person who joins an atheist forum is likely to be a bit confrontational to start with, means that they're likely to rack up negative votes. We have few enough of them around as it is. Besides, some of the Christian members we've had here in the past would have worn negative kudos as a badge of honor.  "See, those atheists just hate Jesus and hate me for having Jesus in my heart!"  Why give such ninnies the pleasure?
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Whitney

I created a poll about not using the karma system:
http://www.happyatheistforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=7418.msg112429#new

I don't think I've heard anyone say anything positive about it so I'm going to disable it unless it turns out most people think it is helpful and for good reason.