News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Well done Whitney! We're back! WTF happened?

Started by Tank, April 29, 2011, 07:13:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

To Whitney et al

Thank you for the work and effort you have put in to get HAF up and running!

What happened?

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean_SP

We should have like... One thread in which we ask so that Whitney has one thread in which to answer  :P

Tank

Well we can stick with this one as I managed to sort out my password.

Note, the new password needs to be at least 8 characters and contain UPPER and lower case letters and at least on numeric character 0-9

Good to be back up again!
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Asmodean_SP

Yes, that's what I thought. We stick with this one.

And my old password was both long and complicated, so it shoulda' passed whatever SMF threw at it.

Tank

I'm not an expert on the password issues, I'm just glad we're back up and running  :)

And [img] tags work!

wildfire_emissary

"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." -Voltaire

The Magic Pudding

Yes well done Whitney, there's no chocolate left but here's two gold stars and a koala stamp.

Who's this new Asmodean?
Is he real?
Has he expressed Asmo's deepest secret wish to replace Benny in a rebjorn ABBA?
I won't believe he's him until he does.

Tank

The forum does not take you back to the post you last made automatically. ATM you have to set a preference in your profile to do so under Look and Layout Preferences and check the  "Return to topics after posting by default" option; as shown below.

Tank

Tank

Return to post test 2

EDIT: Yes that works, just remember to save your preference change, unlike me  ::)

memyself

Bugger! This is tank, I've locked myself out of my account  :'( PM sent to Whitney.

The Magic Pudding

There is a "View the most recent posts on the forum." link at the bottom of the forum index page.  It's in the Forum Stats section, I think I'll make it my main link to the site.

My avatar doesn't look as imposing now, maybe it could sit cross legged.  I wouldn't want to become a mere head and loose my cricket bat and glove.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: memyself on April 29, 2011, 11:13:11 AM
Bugger! This is tank, I've locked myself out of my account  :'( PM sent to Whitney.

I just clicked to have my password reset,
a link was sent to my email address,
follow link, make a tricky password, copy it and paste it in a text doc and the the confirm box.

Anyway that'll teach you for not watching the wedding, Kate looks like she could do with a good meal.

Whitney

What happened is it turns out PHPBB released PHPBB3 without making sure it was truly stable.  So over time more and more sql errors rack up until it hits a critical point where it does nothing but lock up the sql database and displays the error we've seen over the past few days.  The only fix found online was to either downgrade to phpbb2 (no easy way to do that...screw them) so I opted to switch over to SMF which a friend of mine has found to be bug free (godaddy tech people also thought it was a good idea to make the switch).

We lost the portal in the process, hence the crappy landing page I threw together in 5 minutes just to redirect people to the install folder of SMF.  I can fix this later either by moving the SMF install to our root directory or installing wordpress and moving our blog from blogger to here.  I'm leaning towards the wordpress root so that in the event the forum has any more problems I can still keep people updated on site as the wordpress install wouldn't be affected by forum glitches.

I'm about to respond to Tank but there is a 3 try login lockout on the account.  If you get locked out wait for the lockout to reset.  Our passwords didn't transfer so that made it a great time for me to select the option that forced everyone to have complex passwords; when I tried to force it on PHPBB3 the system did not allow people to reset their passwords (due to yet another one of their glitches).  Everyone having complex passwords is better for forum security.

For anyone that didn't realize it...in the event of forum issues you can keep up to date on our Facebook and Twitter pages.  You probably should also be aware that asking me when something will be fixed while the forum is completely down is a good way to get a short kinda pissy response from me as I will not be in a good mood :)

Tank

Hi Whitney

Tank is back up an running. You can delete user memyself when you have second :)