News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

CASE & POINT

Started by perspective, June 12, 2009, 03:35:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JillSwift

Quote from: "Whitney"Jill, don't be surprised when Perspective twists the above into you saying you must have faith to accept evolution as valid science.  I swear, YECs are experts at quote mining and twisting.
Yeah, I knows it.

P.S. Perspective, the term is "Case in point" - meaning you're about to present an example (a case) that backs your argument (your point).
Just feeling pedantic.
[size=50]Teleology]

JillSwift

Quote from: "Heretical Rants"The thing is...  once you start putting faith in it, it ceases to be science.   Science is a process, not necessarily the results of that process.
It would be the process I'd put faith in, were I forced. Because it has proven time and time again to bring results. It is the most successful epistemology humanity has.
[size=50]Teleology]

Heretical Rants

It's not faith if it's rational ;)

JillSwift

Quote from: "Heretical Rants"It's not faith if it's rational :P  It could be faith as in "1. Confidence or trust in a person or thing: faith in another's ability. " :D
[size=50]Teleology]

Tanker

So let me see if I understand this, basicly your stating that one research team in one posibly bogus article linked to a Christian website that says modern crocadilia air sacks don't match modern birds so the hypothisis that birds may have evolved from dinosaurs is fasle, and therefor negates all other Darwinian evoltion therories?

Not the best foundation to disprove Evolution IMO.
"I'd rather die the go to heaven" - William Murderface Murderface  Murderface-

I've been in fox holes, I'm still an atheist -Me-

God is a cake, and we all know what the cake is.

(my spelling, grammer, and punctuation suck, I know, but regardless of how much I read they haven't improved much since grade school. It's actually a bit of a family joke.

PipeBox

Wait, did AIG really just make up a nonexistent article in the Journal of Morphology??  I feel like the collective knowledge of man has been . . .  soiled by those tools.  AIG tells lies all the time, but such brazen, blatant lies?  I was going to respond to the article -- it sounds reasonable enough, just being misrepresented by the creationists, I would have thought -- but I'm just disgusted right now.  I was going to offer that we might have asked if the scientists involved believed the birds shared no common ancestor with any other life on earth, of even if they believed the birds didn't branch off during the mesozoic era, or if we should expect to find avian fossils in Silurian strata.  The answer would have been "no", even if asked of scientists engineered in creationist's head, because even the creationist knows how ridiculous their predictions sound when stated with a little more depth than "Do you think God made everything?"  I could have typed about that more, but bleh, I'm gonna go get something to eat to get the bad taste of AIG out of my mouth.
If sin may be committed through inaction, God never stopped.

My soul, do not seek eternal life, but exhaust the realm of the possible.
-- Pindar

AlP

Quote from: "PipeBox"Wait, did AIG really just make up a nonexistent article in the Journal of Morphology??  I feel like the collective knowledge of man has been . . .  soiled by those tools.  AIG tells lies all the time, but such brazen, blatant lies?  I was going to respond to the article -- it sounds reasonable enough, just being misrepresented by the creationists, I would have thought -- but I'm just disgusted right now.  I was going to offer that we might have asked if the scientists involved believed the birds shared no common ancestor with any other life on earth, of even if they believed the birds didn't branch off during the mesozoic era, or if we should expect to find avian fossils in Silurian strata.  The answer would have been "no", even if asked of scientists engineered in creationist's head, because even the creationist knows how ridiculous their predictions sound when stated with a little more depth than "Do you think God made everything?"  I could have typed about that more, but bleh, I'm gonna go get something to eat to get the bad taste of AIG out of my mouth.
I think it's legit. http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/122395783/abstract
"I rebel -- therefore we exist." - Camus

Heretical Rants

Quote from: "JillSwift"
Quote from: "Heretical Rants"It's not faith if it's rational :P  It could be faith as in "1. Confidence or trust in a person or thing: faith in another's ability. " :)

McQ

Quote from: "JillSwift"P.S. Perspective, the term is "Case in point" - meaning you're about to present an example (a case) that backs your argument (your point).
Just feeling pedantic.

Even Bongo knew that!  ;)
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

JillSwift

Quote from: "McQ"Even Bongo knew that!  :sigh:
[size=50]Teleology]

karadan

Quote from: "JillSwift"
Quote from: "Whitney"Jill, don't be surprised when Perspective twists the above into you saying you must have faith to accept evolution as valid science.  I swear, YECs are experts at quote mining and twisting.
Yeah, I knows it.

P.S. Perspective, the term is "Case in point" - meaning you're about to present an example (a case) that backs your argument (your point).
Just feeling pedantic.

Amended...

;)
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

PipeBox

Quote from: "AlP"I think it's legit. http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/122395783/abstract

Oi.  My bad.  That'll teach me to write a knee-jerk post.  The other questions I would have detailed more thoroughly stand, as it's still clear how much weight the creationists are putting on this without warrant.  "A possible gap in science!!  Quick, stuff God into it!"  Please note that only a creationist relies on a God of the Gaps, as it is an absolute necessity for them that science be unable to account for our origin -- they know that there is no natural mechanic that could possibly create the universe we see today in just 144 hours, so they must fight any science that threatens their dogma.  Make no mistake, science is not against God, but creationists are against science.
If sin may be committed through inaction, God never stopped.

My soul, do not seek eternal life, but exhaust the realm of the possible.
-- Pindar

Heretical Rants

Quote from: "karadan"
:sigh:
That's not the way to get someone to see the light of reason, no matter how stubborn they are.

karadan

Quote from: "Heretical Rants":sigh:
That's not the way to get someone to see the light of reason, no matter how stubborn they are.

I stopped caring about getting him/her to see reason as soon as I saw how offensive he was to some of the more intelligent posters on this board. He waved any rights for respect from me as soon as I read those posts.

I'm not here to convert. I'm here to talk with like-minded people. If, during that process, someone enquires about my worldview and shows a genuine interest, I'll be happy to answer, and I'll be civil, polite and respectful. However, I'm not going to tolerate ignorant simpletons who have no desire to learn about reality and are simply here to annoy and offend. I don't see why we should be polite to others who have no desire to afford us the same degree of civility.
I'm not very tolerant of people like him. I don't believe I should be, though. Pipebox posted in Perspective's evolution thread in his usual well thought out and articulate way. Perspective's response? "Alot of words, not really convincing." I doubt he even read it.

I'm unrepentant. Some people are beyond saving.
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.