News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

woohoo for book burning!

Started by Sheeplauncher, October 16, 2009, 02:02:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ultima22689

Quote from: "Ninteen45"How?

I don't know, that's why i'm asking. -_-

seasonsofmadness

People who consider the King James version to be the "only true version" amused me even back when I was a christian. But I agree there should be a KJV burning across the street. Maybe even ask the church for some pamphlets or something and throw them in the fire.

LoneMateria

How about get some crucifixes and when you see a book burning throw a few from your car into the fire.  See if you can make them chase you ^_^.
Quote from: "Richard Lederer"There once was a time when all people believed in God and the church ruled. This time was called the Dark Ages
Quote from: "Demosthenes"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true.
Quote from: "Oscar Wilde"Truth, in matters of religion, is simpl

Ninteen45

Chances are you'll end up tied to one...
Now I can be re-gognizod!

LoneMateria

I don't know, I don't think jesus will make those book burners faster then my speeding car.
Quote from: "Richard Lederer"There once was a time when all people believed in God and the church ruled. This time was called the Dark Ages
Quote from: "Demosthenes"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true.

Ellainix

I've always wanted to go to one of these and burn "good" bibles.
Quote from: "Ivan Tudor C McHock"If your faith in god is due to your need to explain the origin of the universe, and you do not apply this same logic to the origin of god, then you are an idiot.

susangail

^ Cracks me up "good" and "bad" Bibles. Aren't there people who think God's message will get through with any sort of version?

Do you think someone will actually see this book burning on the news or however it's publicized and be like "Alas! My belief in the--insert "wrong Bible here, "bad' music, etc.-- is completely wrong!! I must believe in what these people say I should!!"? :hmm:
When life gives you lemons, make orange juice and let the world wonder how you did it.

Renegnicat

Heck, I'd go just for the Bar-B-Q. I'm always a fan of free food. I might even has some good arguments.(And by good, I mean get them incredibly frustrated).

The great thing about crashing religious parties is that if you pretend you might be open to conversion, they never harm you, and then you can wail away with hilarious debate.  :headbang:
[size=135]The best thing to do is reflect, understand, apreciate, and consider.[/size]

nikkmichalski

Just print out the entire contents of //skepticsannotatedbible.com, and leave it on the pastor's porch. Boy, will he have a busy week! My favorite park was "parish of 14".
Ford: "It's unpleasantly like being drunk."
Arthur: "What's so unpleasant about being drunk?"
Ford: "You ask a glass of water." -- Douglas Adams, H2G2
"'Why is it you never mentioned any of this before the plane crash?'...'I didn't think the time was ripe.' " [emphasis delightfully Vonnegut's] -- Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse-5

Big Mac

This is why if there is intelligent life out there they see this and think "Great Archmedd! Those Earthlings are destroying knowledge because of some backwater religious belief! To hell with inviting them into the galatic federation of unified planets of peace. We'll mark it as a forbidden zone."

And that's why we don't have advance space travel.
Quote from: "PoopShoot"And what if pigs shit candy?

LoneMateria

Quote from: "Big Mac"This is why if there is intelligent life out there they see this and think "Great Archmedd! Those Earthlings are destroying knowledge because of some backwater religious belief! To hell with inviting them into the galatic federation of unified planets of peace. We'll mark it as a forbidden zone."

So you agree with the South Park Pine wood Derby episode then?

Big Mac

Quote from: "LoneMateria"
Quote from: "Big Mac"This is why if there is intelligent life out there they see this and think "Great Archmedd! Those Earthlings are destroying knowledge because of some backwater religious belief! To hell with inviting them into the galatic federation of unified planets of peace. We'll mark it as a forbidden zone."

Oh hell yeah, I imagine we have been observed by Aliens and that while some of us may seem promising, the planet as a whole probably amuses/frightens/saddens them.

LoneMateria

Quote from: "Big Mac"
Quote from: "LoneMateria"

Oh hell yeah, I imagine we have been observed by Aliens and that while some of us may seem promising, the planet as a whole probably amuses/frightens/saddens them.

I don't know if thats true.  You got to think of the vastness of space in just our galaxy.  We don't know how rare intelligent life is.  If its a 1 in a billion shot then there are only a few hundred races in our galaxy and there is no guarantee any of them survive to this day or even made it into space.  Who knows our galaxy could be like the show V where the head alien says they thought they were the only other intelligent life in the galaxy.  Its a big galaxy and its a big universe and we are on a planet circling a 3rd rate star on the outskirts of the galaxy.

Big Mac

Quote from: "LoneMateria"I don't know if thats true.  You got to think of the vastness of space in just our galaxy.  We don't know how rare intelligent life is.  If its a 1 in a billion shot then there are only a few hundred races in our galaxy and there is no guarantee any of them survive to this day or even made it into space.  Who knows our galaxy could be like the show V where the head alien says they thought they were the only other intelligent life in the galaxy.  Its a big galaxy and its a big universe and we are on a planet circling a 3rd rate star on the outskirts of the galaxy.

I don't we would impress a species/society that mastered interstellar travel.

LoneMateria

Quote from: "Big Mac"
Quote from: "LoneMateria"I don't know if thats true.  You got to think of the vastness of space in just our galaxy.  We don't know how rare intelligent life is.  If its a 1 in a billion shot then there are only a few hundred races in our galaxy and there is no guarantee any of them survive to this day or even made it into space.  Who knows our galaxy could be like the show V where the head alien says they thought they were the only other intelligent life in the galaxy.  Its a big galaxy and its a big universe and we are on a planet circling a 3rd rate star on the outskirts of the galaxy.

I don't we would impress a species/society that mastered interstellar travel.

You don't what?  How would we impress a society that has mastered interstellar travel?

Unless instead of don't you meant doubt.  In which case i'd agree and they would ignore us even if they found us.  However we are just speculating here.  I'd say its more likely given that we live on a small planet circling an unimpressive star near the edge of our galaxy  that we haven't been found.  I can imagine how difficult it would be to find us regardless of technology.  We around one star of billions.