News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

The future of the forum

Started by Claireliontamer, June 14, 2016, 12:03:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Essie Mae

Maybe not deaths, though how that can be verified, I'm not sure, and I understand that marijuana smoke is as dangerous as tobacco. I taught a lad of 17 in my adult Literacy and Numeracy classes who was like a zombie from prescribed medication. The story was that he'd begun taking skunk just before his GCSEs and very quickly started having violent psychotic episodes where he would imagine being attacked and fight off anyone who tried to help. We were given written instructions to remove all the other students and a designated person was to stay with him if it happened. It never did happen, but he used to shake with fear a lot and after 3 years he still couldn't manage to pass the Level 2. Yes, the episodes might have happened anyway and maybe I was an ineffective tutor but I wouldn't risk it. My bro-in-law never married and is a recluse and has been smoking weed for 50 years and is now a maudlin wreck even tho he's five years younger than Mr M and yes, again, that might have happened anyway and if he's had 50 years of enjoyment, what do his current probs matter? But who knows? That's just my take; I don't seek to dictate to anyone else and I know lots of people smoke the waccy baccy for years with no ill effect and I even like them.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Recusant

I'm not arguing that cannabis is completely harmless. My point is that by keeping it criminalized, governments are helping support criminal organizations. They are also continuing to cause people--cannabis users--who have done no harm to anybody (except possibly some harm to themselves) to suffer by being branded as criminals. It's absurd, especially considering the fact that cannabis actually has medical uses aside from its recreational aspect. In that piece, Greenfield ignores or dismisses these things, and pushes a narrative based on evidence she herself admits is of questionable value. In my opinion, when all the relevant factors are weighed, there is no sensible case to be made for keeping cannabis illegal.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Pasta Chick

It's like anything... You use too much, you can hurt yourself. Responsible, casual use is highly unlikely to cause any problems at all. Just as drinking socially is unlikely to cause problems but drinking heavily on frequent basis severely impairs function and leads to serious health problems.

Hell, you can hurt yourself eating too much kale, or drinking too much water.

Steeler

I don't think it should be treated much different than alcohol. Hell, it's Damn near just a weed that grows in the dirt. No modification, just pluck it, dry it, smoke it. Too many people jailed for it, or the paraphernalia used to smoke it.
In the states where it is legal, can you grow a plant legally, or is it like alcohol where you can't make your own?

Recusant

Quote from: Steeler on November 13, 2016, 01:54:26 AMIn the states where it is legal, can you grow a plant legally, or is it like alcohol where you can't make your own?

I've only checked Colorado and Oregon, but they both allow a limited number of plants to be grown by citizens. Four in Oregon, six (only three of which can be mature plants) in Colorado.

I don't think it would make much sense to try to keep it illegal to grow a limited amount for personal use once it's legalized. Anyway, you can brew your own beer or make your own wine pretty much anywhere except maybe some dry counties. Distilling booze for sale is a rather different operation.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Pasta Chick

I hadn't looked into growing because there's a 99% chance at least 2 of my 3 dogs will start eating it.

I assume it's going to be state by state with restrictions on selling.

You can make booze here, you just can't sell it.

Steeler

Quote from: Pasta Chick on November 13, 2016, 02:43:29 AM
I hadn't looked into growing because there's a 99% chance at least 2 of my 3 dogs will start eating it.

Grow it indoors! ;D I grew a couple years ago before I had kids, just for fun. Had them in a closet. I was amazed at how easy it was. I didn't go high tech or anything, just 2 potters, a cheap florescent grow light, and a little fan to simulate wind (supposed to make them stronger). Oh and a timer for the light obviously.
They turned out pretty good, or so my buddy that smoked it says. But Damn did it ever make my house smell like a skunks ass! :lol:

Pasta Chick

Dogs are in the house. These two have already taken down an avocado sapling each. Maybe in the basement... Closets were apparently not a thing until about 80 years ago, so I don't have any.

Magdalena

Quote from: Steeler on November 13, 2016, 02:53:50 AM
Quote from: Pasta Chick on November 13, 2016, 02:43:29 AM

Grow it indoors! ;D I grew a couple years ago before I had kids, just for fun. Had them in a closet. I was amazed at how easy it was. I didn't go high tech or anything, just 2 potters, a cheap florescent grow light, and a little fan to simulate wind (supposed to make them stronger). Oh and a timer for the light obviously.
They turned out pretty good, or so my buddy that smoked it says. But Damn did it ever make my house smell like a skunks ass! :lol:
I knew it! I knew it!  ;D

My witch powers are amazing!  :lol:
I mean, "Wow! What a lucky guess...huh!?" :worried:

:grin:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Steeler

Oh Mags. If you only knew how much I used to love getting baked. I miss it so much too. It must be the after 40 mortality realization or something that kicks in when I'm stoned now. Bad thoughts, running out of air kind of feeling. Oh shit am I gonna die stoned?
Maybe I just need to get stoned with a different crowd. Lol

Magdalena

Quote from: Steeler on November 13, 2016, 03:56:41 AM
Oh Mags. If you only knew how much I used to love getting baked. I miss it so much too. It must be the after 40 mortality realization or something that kicks in when I'm stoned now. Bad thoughts, running out of air kind of feeling. Oh shit am I gonna die stoned?
:worried:
Huh...I don't know what you're talking about...

I've heard...stories...
...I've heard that sometimes it's like this:

To be, or not to be?

...Wait...

What was the question?

:scratch:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Steeler

Quote from: Magdalena on November 13, 2016, 04:17:09 AM

I've heard...stories...

To be, or not to be?

...Wait...

What was the question?

Yes. Lol.
One time long ago I....I mean somebody I knew, sat at a flashing red light in the middle of the night for who knows how long, waiting for it to turn green.

Magdalena

Quote from: Steeler on November 13, 2016, 05:06:13 AM
Quote from: Magdalena on November 13, 2016, 04:17:09 AM

I've heard...stories...

To be, or not to be?

...Wait...

What was the question?

Yes. Lol.
One time long ago I....I mean somebody I knew, sat at a flashing red light in the middle of the night for who knows how long, waiting for it to turn green.

:lol:
That was probably m......
...my friend, Maria. Yeah, that's it...that must have been my friend, last name Juana, first name Maria.

Essie Mae

Quote from: Recusant on November 13, 2016, 12:06:54 AM
I'm not arguing that cannabis is completely harmless. My point is that by keeping it criminalized, governments are helping support criminal organizations. They are also continuing to cause people--cannabis users--who have done no harm to anybody (except possibly some harm to themselves) to suffer by being branded as criminals. It's absurd, especially considering the fact that cannabis actually has medical uses aside from its recreational aspect. In that piece, Greenfield ignores or dismisses these things, and pushes a narrative based on evidence she herself admits is of questionable value. In my opinion, when all the relevant factors are weighed, there is no sensible case to be made for keeping cannabis illegal.

I don't think criminilisation is the answer either, just saying I wouldn't take any drug I didn't have to, and wouldn't want my family to either. When I was talking with some ex-uni friends about this, they said it brought out my inner Attila the Hun. I think in straying from straightforward reporting on her research to ill-thought out opinion, Greenfield diminishes all her work. I must say, I don't understand why cannabis can't be used medicinally for people who already have horrible conditions like MS when we use morphine with abandon in some cases.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Recusant

Quote from: Magdalena on November 12, 2016, 04:45:32 AM

Compañero Recusant, you've been on a roll with your posts, lately!

Ah, thank you, Magdalena; just telling 'em like I see 'em, as always.  :)
— H. L. Mencken