News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

The future of the forum

Started by Claireliontamer, June 14, 2016, 12:03:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firebird

Woah really? She didn't say anything, did she?
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Magdalena

Quote from: Firebird on August 14, 2016, 04:08:55 PM
Woah really? She didn't say anything, did she?
Well, looks like she just did.  :(

QuoteClaireliontamer
Mischievous Munchkin
Guardian of Reason
"Retired"

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Sandra Craft

Claire still posts on FB, so you can keep up with her there if you like.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Recusant

I sent her an email regarding this about a month ago, but got no reply. I suspect that the email address available to staff here is one she no longer uses.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Magdalena

Quote from: Gloucester on August 14, 2016, 08:52:45 AM
Quote from: Magdalena on August 14, 2016, 05:56:06 AM
Claireliontamer
Mischievous Munchkin
Guardian of Reason
"Retired"

When did that happen?
Not another one!
Why!?
:cryandrun:
People's priorities and values change with time.
Yeah, I guess so.
It makes me wonder where I'm gonna go when my values and priorities change--if they change.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Firebird

I PM'd Claire, and she confirmed that she and JJ are both taking a break from HAF. But she would be happy to hear from people on Facebook if they ever want to get in touch.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Magdalena

Quote from: Firebird on August 15, 2016, 01:36:34 AM
I PM'd Claire, and she confirmed that she and JJ are both taking a break from HAF. But she would be happy to hear from people on Facebook if they ever want to get in touch.
Thank you for that, Firebird.
I have a feeling we won't see you around here as much as we would like to in the future, you know your priorities are going to change as well...

:grin:

Firebird

Quote from: Magdalena on August 15, 2016, 01:42:58 AM
I have a feeling we won't see you around here as much as we would like to in the future, you know your priorities are going to change as well...

Yeah,  I hear it all. "You'll never sleep again", "if you have any hobbies now get them done while there's time", etc etc. I'll do my best. Maybe at 4 am after the baby's stopped crying and I'm still wired and awake, so my posts may be a tad more bizarre. But fuck it, I'm looking forward to it anyway.

Ask me again in 2 months  ;D

Magdalena

Quote from: Firebird on August 15, 2016, 01:49:01 AM
Quote from: Magdalena on August 15, 2016, 01:42:58 AM

Yeah,  I hear it all. "You'll never sleep again", "if you have any hobbies now get them done while there's time", etc etc. I'll do my best. Maybe at 4 am after the baby's stopped crying and I'm still wired and awake, so my posts may be a tad more bizarre. But fuck it, I'm looking forward to it anyway.

Ask me again in 2 months  ;D

:lol:

Old Seer

This sort of thing has got to be expected. I only post on a couple of forums, but most aren't worth taking the time to bother with. Most Atheist form that I've been on are caught in a daily routine of, slam the new guy, or anything they disagree with warrants an Ad Homien attack, and there's plenty of rude characters on most of the forums. But, subject matter is limited, so after a awhile all the subjects of interest get played out and most leave.
The site I'm on most has only about 6 main posters left and very seldom does anyone new post.
I think what happens on these forums is ---what's left at the end of the day are the ones most negative to other. Atheists I know are about 90% good guys, but after a while they are driven off the sites because the rudeness of a few becomes unbearable. Concerning this site. I show up here often as a guest and read the posts that most interest me, but seldom post.
This is the best site I've been on for tolerating different points of view and newbies. But of course--that's the general philosophy of the site. It just come about that sites wear out, that has to be understood. Anyone will get unattached over time, and just about every subject that can be discussed has been discussed with the exception of new things in the sciences. So over time, floks will loose interest. Most individuals will air their minds for a while and after they've said their piece they loose interest. I've been on Atheist sites for the last 5 years and have read about every subject and argument that can be heard.
The same with USMC forums I used to be on for 15 years,  nearly all the original sites are gone that were up and running at that time. After a while there's just nothing to say anymore. The battle of Iwo Jima can be told only so often when it comes time to move on or let it be.

The only thing possible the world needs saving from are the ones running it.
Oh lord, save us from those wanting to save us.
I'm not a Theist.

Kekerusey

Hi,

Didn't even know about this post :)

Quote from: Claireliontamer on June 14, 2016, 12:03:52 PM1. We have lost too many regular members that created the content that kept this place going.  Now, each may have their own reasons for leaving and yes people on forums do change but that isn't always the case and shouldn't necessarily be the norm.  When I now look at the regular contributors on here, most of them I have on another form of network too so I no longer feel like I need to be here to keep in touch with people.

I wonder if it is just because forums have had their time and social networks are now the thing?

Quote from: Claireliontamer on June 14, 2016, 12:03:52 PM2. We're not getting many new active members.  The ones who do join and start posting don't seem to be sticking around for very long. Part of the fun of forums for me is meeting new people, not just the ones I already know and getting to hear different points of view.  It's almost become too cliquey for want of a better word and I think that is quit intimidating to new members.  Maybe we could start spreading the message out and about a little more?  It's certainly not the case that all atheist forums are low activity, I did a quick search and there are plenty of very active ones with lots of interesting topics and debates going on.  What are they doing differently?

I have to admit I am likely to be of that type (highlighted) but that's probably because I am quick to judge, label those I don't like quickly and am often regarded as a troublemaker ... perhaps because I say what I think with little regard for, sometimes in spite of, the consequences. It doesn't help in my specific case that I actually did get banned from this forum back many years ago and that the punishment meted out was way, way too harsh for what I was supposed to have done, the forum boss (Latheos?) admitted that much to me in an email.

Quote from: Claireliontamer on June 14, 2016, 12:03:52 PM3.  Recently I think it has been too heavily moderated for content.  Anyone who seems to spark a little bit of debate seems to be got rid of very easily.  Which I think also links back to number 2 also.  Perhaps we do need some more argumentative characters once more to kick the debates into action.  BTW I'm not equating uncivil with argumentative.  I'm thinking more of the Stevil type character who was perfectly civil but often gave a different perspective.

For what it's worth, I think atheists, the fact that their views most times extend from an intelligent outlook, from the fact that they want change, will always be regarded as troublemakers ... as George Bernard Shaw said, "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

4.  Perhaps we need a discussion on what a forum like this is actually for?  At the moment I fe
Quote from: Claireliontamer on June 14, 2016, 12:03:52 PMel like there isn't a difference between this and my facebook feed.

Haha ... I think that was what I was trying to achieve when I started my Angry Atheism forum a few years ago, I wanted a place where swearing didn't matter that much, where people could express their views with as much passion as they felt. It even worked for a while.

Keke
J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
The Abyssal Void War Book #1: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Steeler

I don't see any way to fix the retention problem, if you believe there is one. Personally I do as there isn't much activity here as it seems there should be.
There is plenty of room for exciting convo, but the nature of the personalities I see, it just doesn't seem to work.

I'll use myself as an example. Now please don't take this as whining, I'm free to bail at any time.
I come in here thinking that this looks like a cool place to chat with folks from all over, politically different. I'm picturing light hearted discussions where we could laugh at our differences, and be able to understand that we may be vastly different in our opinions, but we can still discuss issues and LEARN from one another.
Boy was I wrong. What I have learned instead, in my opinion, is that HAF is a place where most posters are here to pat each other on the back, and vehemently defend their stances while not giving an inch of understanding to opposing views.
While here you better choose your use of words very carefully or you will be picked apart, non stop, until there is a "winner".

This place is unlike any I've visited, and I've been around. I sometimes wonder if some posters here are really like this in person. Ive never met anyone in my life that uses the logic I see around here. I may live in the country, but I do work in a decent sized city, so I'm around liberals quite a bit.

I've considered many times just deleting this bookmark and forgetting about it. A couple times today actually.

Id like to hang around and continue to learn, even share very personal stuff, but it's hard when you are met with strong resistance from all angles.

Dave

I have to admit that after the often personal cursing, bitching, vindictive, shouting, biased, subjective etc etc nature of some other forums this one is more like "friends talking in the pub" than "opponents shouting across the street".

I value its humour and reasonably polite discussion - can get serious, differences can be expressed, but rarely in a personally insulting manner.

Those that want shouting matches have their places to go to.

It has its place, pity that so many prefer the shouting and swearing at each other. But, that's human nature, or maybe national culture, for you.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Magdalena

:therethere:
I wouldn't want you to go, Steeler. I learn from you. I think you have the guts to say things that a lot of us don't like to hear. We talk about "stuff" people tell us, and we compare how things look from the other side. --That's all. It's thanks to this place that we are able to talk...without killing each other over stuff that we say.  :grin:

I understand what you're saying, when I came here, it was the opposite. I think most leaned to the right, and for those of us on the left...Well, I've never owned a gun, but if I had to use the right expression it would be: "There weren't enough bullets in the world!" I also wanted to leave, but Asmo...I never get tired of telling this story...He said to me, something like this..."You can leave, or stay and who knows, maybe you can persuade a few." But that's not easy either.  :smileshake: