News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Supreme Court Backs Health Law!!

Started by cgmccall, June 28, 2012, 04:36:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cgmccall

This morning, Obama's health law passed a survival test in the supreme court! Everyone I talked to was pessimistic about it.

Not sure how this affects atheists particularly, but I just wanted to say

BOO-YAH!!!

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

OldGit

Ali

I was kind of hoping it would get struck down so we could go back and try again with a single payer system.  But, I guess this is better than no health care reform at all.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Ali on June 28, 2012, 04:43:12 PM
I was kind of hoping it would get struck down so we could go back and try again with a single payer system.  But, I guess this is better than no health care reform at all.

Single payer would be better, but it will never pass. The surprises in this decision: 1) Chief Justice John Roberts voting with the liberal block instead of his usual conservative vote; 2) the law was upheld under the taxing power, not under the commerce clause. 

Beachdragon

The tea party people's heads are exploding right now.

Ali

Quote from: Beachdragon on June 28, 2012, 06:24:05 PM

Hahaha, true.  Glenn Beck is probably going to cry himself to sleep tonight.   ;D

DeterminedJuliet

I saw this in my feed and it made me laugh so much (though a little afraid that some of them might actually follow through).

"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

fester30

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on June 28, 2012, 07:34:49 PM
I saw this in my feed and it made me laugh so much (though a little afraid that some of them might actually follow through).

So, they hate a health care law that was based on Republican health care efforts of the 1980s (Republicans loved the idea of personal responsibility since those who could afford were paying for those who couldn't).  They'll move to Canada where there is a more socialized form of health care that they hate even more.  These people make perfect sense.

I read the dissent, as it is nearly always overreaching and entertaining when Scalia is on the dissenting side.  I don't think I see the slippery slope fallacy used more than when I read Supreme Court opinions.  The dissent basically said that if Congress can regulate the lack of action (in this case, the lack of buying health insurance), then they can also regulate the act of breathing in and out.  I remember during the oral arguments Scalia argued that under similar authority to Obamacare, Congress could address the diet problem by ordering people to buy vegetables.  Michelle Bachmann (another smart one) decided that now Congress can force us to buy IKEA furniture.

MadBomr101

Of course, Romney's first move was to hold a press conference promising to repeal "Obamacare" if elected president.  This is a good day to watch Fox News and see hust how hard they spin this as proof that Obama won't stop until he completely destroys Anerica.

Neo-cons are such assholes.
- Bomr
I'm waiting for the movie of my life to be made.  It should cost about $7.23 and that includes the budget for special effects.

Ali

I love it when a plan comes together.  Two great threads, combined.

http://jezebel.com/5922033/what-does-the-supreme-court-ruling-on-obamacare-ruling-mean-for-your-vagina

What Does the Supreme Court Ruling on Obamacare Mean for Your Vagina?

This morning, the Supreme Court caused Antonin Scalia's hairy head to rotate 360 degrees and gave liberals something to wet their beds over when it ruled that the Affordable Care Act, or the Health Care Law — or Obamacare if ya nasty— is mostly constitutional, right down to the much-maligned individual insurance mandate. But before we get into the nitty gritty details of who said what and which major news organization got what wrong, let's get down to what's really important: what does this mean for our ladyflowers?

In the months since the Court heard oral arguments about the ACA, hope that the entire law would be upheld was deader than a baby with a birth defect born to a woman without insurance. In fact, some news organizations were so absolutely positive that the law would be struck down by the conservative court that they shot their headline wads a little early. CNN originally splashed a headline across its homepage that announced that the Supremes had struck down the individual mandate. The Chicago Sun Times got the headline right, but as of this morning, the URL of its Obamacare ruling story still reads "supreme court strike down individual mandate." They're certainly not the only ones who feel head faked by the Court; no one thought this would happen.

But, here we are. And now we're left wondering, what's next? Specifically, what's next for my vagina? Well, wonder no more.

Your vagina will now be able to afford health insurance.
30 million Americans who don't currently have insurance will now have access to it. If you can't afford it, you'll get help paying for it. If you don't want to buy it, you'll have to pay a tax, you party pooper. Nancy Keenan, President of NARAL, calls the Affordable Care Act "a tremendous victory for American women." Finally, all vaginas will now get medical care.

Your vagina will not be charged more for health insurance simply because it is a vagina.
One of the most interesting aspects of the Affordable Care Act to your vagina is the fact that a vagina's simple existence often results in insurance companies charging women more. No longer. Charging men and women different premiums for the same coverage is now illegal.

Your vagina will not be discriminated against just because it got depressed that one time.
Whereas insurers were once free to reject customers who had "pre-existing conditions," that's not going to fly anymore. Under the Affordable Care Act, people with pre-existing conditions are covered by a special high-risk insurance pool that will take care of any vagina, no matter what sort of trouble it got into in the past. Kids with pre-existing conditions can't be rejected for their parents' plans, either. And by 2014, the special high risk insurance programs will disappear — we'll all be covered by similar policies.

Your vagina will have access to everything that the Department of Health and Human Services classifies as "preventative care" — for free.
This is where it gets really awesome for your vagina. Under the Affordable Care Act, annual well woman visits, screenings for gestational diabetes, STI testing, contraception (even if it's prescribed for sex reasons!), domestic violence counseling, and breastfeeding support will be available for free. Free! Who wants to go on an Ortho Tri Cyclen bender with me? We're going to get soooo hormonal, ladies.

If your vagina is under 26, your vagina can use your parents' insurance.
Three million Americans under 26 have already gotten to take advantage of this provision of Obamacare, and, thanks to today's ruling, the provision will continue to exist. That means that the last semester of college is about to get a lot less terrifying, and it's not potentially financially ruinous for twentysomethings to take up skateboarding anymore.

And now, for the bad news: abortion may get a lot more expensive for your vagina.
Lawmakers in twelve states — Arizona, Florida, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Utah and Virginia (Ali's Note: Those fuckers.) — have passed laws that restrict insurance that covers abortion if the insurance is purchased on the state's exchanges. In these states, employers and individuals who purchase insurance on the soon-to-be-implemented state exchanges will need to purchase additional abortion insurance or settle for not having coverage at all. Which doesn't seem like that huge a deal unless you consider the fact that many private companies currently carry policies that cover abortion for employees, and the most expensive abortions are late term, and late-term abortions often occur after a couple discovers a birth defect or health risk to the mother. So if you get pregnant and decide you don't want to be pregnant, and you live in one of these twelve states, get ready to cough up (or, you know, pick a cooler place to live and move there).

The law wasn't left entirely unscathed — the Court narrowed the way that the law could be applied to states who didn't participate in a Medicare-related provision in the law and upheld the individual mandate as a tax. But overall, today was a good day for Democrats, and the President, and any American who has a body that isn't made of titanium.

It was an especially good day for your vagina, so you two should celebrate. Take it out for dinner tonight. Your vagina deserves it.

MadBomr101

My vagina would weep with happiness had I been born with one.    ;)
- Bomr
I'm waiting for the movie of my life to be made.  It should cost about $7.23 and that includes the budget for special effects.

Ali

Quote from: MadBomr101 on June 29, 2012, 04:58:40 AM

Poor thing, you missed out!

MadBomr101

Quote from: Ali on June 29, 2012, 05:12:58 AM
Quote from: MadBomr101 on June 29, 2012, 04:58:40 AM

Poor thing, you missed out!

Maybe that's why I seek out the companionship of those who were issued one.  God only knows.
- Bomr

cncracer

Quote from: Beachdragon on June 28, 2012, 06:24:05 PM

At least there won't be much brain damage.