News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Good Films.

Started by Tank, October 17, 2015, 10:39:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guardian85

Recently watched "The Siege of Jadotville". While not a perfectly accurate account of the events in the Congo at the time, it is close enough to appeal to a history buff such as myself.
And quite a good movie in and of itself.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Essie Mae

Recently saw 'Alone in Berlin'. Thought-provoking story based loosely on true facts. Very understated acting by Brendan Gleason and Emma Thompson.

Today I saw 'Beguiled' today, starring Nicole Kidman and Kirsten Dunst. Another understated tale of woe but some interesting interactions between the women involved.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Guardian85

Just saw "Dunkirk". Allround pretty good movie.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

jumbojak

Quote from: Guardian85 on July 18, 2017, 08:07:15 PM
Recently watched "The Siege of Jadotville". While not a perfectly accurate account of the events in the Congo at the time, it is close enough to appeal to a history buff such as myself.
And quite a good movie in and of itself.

I need to see that one.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Arturo

I saw the film Valerian. It has really bad reviews and I went in trying to hate it but...I really liked it. The only thing that was obscure to me was the "playlist" of women he had. Like the film takes place in the future so I suppose people are put on "playlists" in the future?

It was a french film that I took for being a scientology propaganda piece but it was actually original and new to me. I really enjoyed the film as it was a nice break from the saturation of American films we have here.

The film's 2 main characters seem to be dynamic in both emotion and logic. In that, they don't just lean to one side. Valerian is a playboy who does his job by the book. His partner/girlfriend Lauraline is a monogamous lover and wild gun as a soldier. Both are steadfast in everything they do and that helps drive the plot forward.

I really enjoyed this film and give it 10/10
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Tank

The Drop

A dark twisty turny crime thriller. Very well acted. Not for the faint hearted. 8/10
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Guardian85

Quote from: Arturo on July 23, 2017, 06:38:55 AM
I saw the film Valerian. It has really bad reviews and I went in trying to hate it but...I really liked it. The only thing that was obscure to me was the "playlist" of women he had. Like the film takes place in the future so I suppose people are put on "playlists" in the future?

It was a french film that I took for being a scientology propaganda piece but it was actually original and new to me. I really enjoyed the film as it was a nice break from the saturation of American films we have here.

The film's 2 main characters seem to be dynamic in both emotion and logic. In that, they don't just lean to one side. Valerian is a playboy who does his job by the book. His partner/girlfriend Lauraline is a monogamous lover and wild gun as a soldier. Both are steadfast in everything they do and that helps drive the plot forward.

I really enjoyed this film and give it 10/10
Based on a French comic book, I belive.

-Unknown Smartass-

Arturo

Arturo The1  リ壱

Arturo

The Netflix movie of "Death Note" was superb! It's gotten bad reviews but that is probably because the critics are trying to appease the fans (or not) of the original Death Note anime show. I liked the dark twisted themes and the ending was kind of flat (because I've seen what happens in the original) but it stayed true to the original work and I'm glad of it!
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Ecurb Noselrub

I highly recommend Wind River.  Great all the way around

Davin

Quote from: Arturo on August 26, 2017, 10:43:00 PM
The Netflix movie of "Death Note" was superb! It's gotten bad reviews but that is probably because the critics are trying to appease the fans (or not) of the original Death Note anime show. I liked the dark twisted themes and the ending was kind of flat (because I've seen what happens in the original) but it stayed true to the original work and I'm glad of it!
Oh yeah, I just watched that a few days ago. I liked it. There were a lot of things different from the anime (and I never read the manga), but I thought they kept the theme of it while shortening about a quarter or a third of the show into a movie length movie.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Arturo

Quote from: Davin on August 30, 2017, 02:57:57 PM
Quote from: Arturo on August 26, 2017, 10:43:00 PM
Oh yeah, I just watched that a few days ago. I liked it. There were a lot of things different from the anime (and I never read the manga), but I thought they kept the theme of it while shortening about a quarter or a third of the show into a movie length movie.

Yes I've never read the manga either. I think it was a good thing Mia was killed at the end because she caused a lot of problems in the anime. But the thing is, now more people actually know Kira is Light. Including his father.

The ending was a bit ambiguous but like you said they kept the theme. L is justice, Light is justice. And not knowing what L wrote in the notebook, if he wrote anything at all, signifies the ambiguity of the justice theme.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Sandra Craft

Here's one special for October -- the Spanish language version of Dracula.  I knew this existed, but I'd never seen it till now.

According to a documentary that went along with it, back in the day movies were often filmed in several different languages simultaneously -- sometimes French or German, but most often Spanish.  They used the same sets, scripts and music but had all different crews and casts.

Critics have long thought the Spanish language version of Dracula a better movie than the English language one, and having now seen it I agree.  The Spanish language Dracula is a much better told story, with more details used from the book and less "fluff" (which is how I think of characters and events that are completely unnecessary and a distraction).

For instance, both Draculas begin in a coach with a young woman reading a travel book about Transylvania out loud.  In the English language Dracula, there's no clue why she's doing this as no one seems to be listening to her and her character vanishes after this scene.  In the Spanish language Dracula, the young woman, and an older woman who is now obviously her companion, have much more screen time and their presence is better explained.  The young woman is reading to the two other English passengers (the older woman and Renfield) who are listening attentively.  The two women are dressed in similar, school uniform looking clothes which strongly suggest they're pupil and teacher, off on a touring holiday.  Plus the young woman's questions to the natives about Transylvanian history provide context in a reasonable way.

When Renfield is traveling on to the Borgo Pass, he sees the Walpurgis fires mentioned in the book.  Not a necessary element, it's true, but it's a very nice touch.

Carlos Villarias, who played Dracula, was better looking than Lugosi and his presentation of a vampire, while still campy by today's standards, was less cartoony and more dramatic.

Renfield, tho I feel traitorous admitting it because I've always loved Dwight Frye's interpretation, had some noticeable improvements as well.  Tho Pablo Rubio didn't use Frye's unnerving laugh (that would have been going too far) he was a more convincing lunatic.  While both men acted crazy, Rubio looked crazy -- as if he hadn't slept in months, literally.

According to the documentary, the Spanish language crew filmed at night after the English language crew had finished for the day, and were able to see what the English speaking crew had done.  They used this to improve their own performances and tweak the script a bit to make it livelier and more coherent.  And it shows.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

I watched 'The Greatest Showman' yesterday and really enjoyed it, even though Wolverine Hugh Jackman isn't the best of singers. If you don't like musicals then I suggest you stay away from this, though. ;)

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey