News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Political Correctness

Started by Bad Penny II, October 25, 2017, 01:37:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tom62 on November 01, 2017, 08:12:50 PM
Quote from: Bad Penny II on October 28, 2017, 05:27:38 PM
Quote from: Tom62 on October 25, 2017, 07:34:58 PM
I's love to reply, but I'm not allowed to have an opinion. Being part of the patriarchy and having all those white privileges, definitively makes me a misogynistic, xenophobic, fascistic racist by default  ;).

Stop whining and say something useful.

Fuck Political Correctness. It is a silly though crime that is invented by a minority of people,  who are insulted on behalf of other minorities. It also the idea that if you rename words, they become less harmful or get a different meaning (doublespeak). Main problem is that almost every word could trigger a negative reaction with some idiot (oops, I should have said mentally challenged  ;D).

Take a deep breath, Tom. :P
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tom62

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 01, 2017, 08:46:16 PM
Quote from: Bad Penny II on October 28, 2017, 05:27:38 PM
Quote from: Tom62 on October 25, 2017, 07:34:58 PM
I's love to reply, but I'm not allowed to have an opinion. Being part of the patriarchy and having all those white privileges, definitively makes me a misogynistic, xenophobic, fascistic racist by default  ;).

Stop whining and say something useful.

Fuck Political Correctness. It is a silly though crime that is invented by a minority of people,  who are insulted on behalf of other minorities. It also the idea that if you rename words, they become less harmful or get a different meaning (doublespeak). Main problem is that almost every word could trigger a negative reaction with some idiot (oops, I should have said mentally challenged  ;D).

Take a deep breath, Tom. :P

Thanks... And yes I will  ;)
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Pasta Chick

The thing with these "arguments" that people think they have a right to are that they hinge on the very humanity of others. Black people should not have to constantly explain to you just what they plan to do about black on black crime, which also entails explaining to you why that isn't a thing, which you're surely going to argue with them about. Women shouldn't have to explain why they feel shitty after being called "doll" all day and groped on the bus on the way home, justify what they were wearing and who they were engaging with, and then gaslit by being told they're overreacting. Trans- people shouldn't have to deal with people asking invasive questions about their medical status and then have their own bodies explained back to them.

It's fucking exhausting. And it never stops. And about all of the people pulling this shit "just want to have an honest debate", that hinges entirely on them making an oppressed group repeatedly explain and justify their existence, then tell them they're wrong.

How the hell can someone successfully attend college, or even want to apply, if that is how they are going to be treated? Everyone says the workplace discrimination in statistics is because women etc just aren't applying so they must naturally not want those jobs, but *gestures wildly at all of the above*

Magdalena

...Main problem is that almost every word could trigger a negative reaction with some idiot (oops, I should have said mentally challenged  ;D).
I looked up the word, politically correct, and these are some of the definitions the Urban Dictionary gives you.

QuoteAs long as you don't have any prejudices about a group of people then you will be naturally politically correct. The term is mostly popular with those who are hateful and think that being polite to someone is the same thing as surrendering to someone.

A pejorative invented by conservatives so they can say whatever the hell they want without reprisal.

Kinda like a "get out of racism free" card. Go ahead and call Justice Sotomayor a spic on national radio, and when you get called out for it, blame the media for being too "politically correct".

Jamal was offended by me calling him a perverted gay fairy black boy all stung out on crack. The politically correct thing to say would be that Jamal is leading an acceptable alternative lifestyle as an african-american homosexual who has the disease of drug addiction.

An accusation typically used by right-wing bigots to describe behavior that shows plain, common decency directed towards individuals or groups against whom, in the past, they have felt free to discriminate without repercussions (i.e. gays; women; racial, ethnic, or religious minorities; etc.) but that has more and more in recent years become the socially accepted norm.
"What? You're mad at me for calling her a fat, n****r, dyke, c*nt? Hey, sorry if you were offended! I forgot we all have to be 'politically correct' now!"

Very interesting.  :thoughtful:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant