News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

The future of the forum

Started by Claireliontamer, June 14, 2016, 12:03:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

No one

Idiots make up roughly 98.99786545% of the human tribe.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Magdalena on February 19, 2017, 03:42:13 AM
Quote from: Arturo on February 19, 2017, 02:02:05 AM
There was something I read last night called "mystic psychosis". I think it describes Dredge perfectly but I will let you decide.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mystical_psychosis

Um...I'm not the smartest one here, please remember that.... OK? :notsure:
OK?
...but I don't think we should be making a "diagnosis" without a license.

I think that's a very smart thought, Mags! :thumbsup:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: No one on February 19, 2017, 09:21:30 AM
Idiots make up roughly 98.99786545% of the human tribe.

Hmm...and here I was thinking it was a rounded 99%. :notsure:

xSilverPhinx

I think this is a great forum, and easy to moderate too because it requires almost no intervention besides ridding the place of people who register in order to spam. Conflicts are rare between regulars and even so they hardly ever escalate to the point when someone has to start issuing out warnings.

A typical "argument" might look something like: 

:hammock:

Magdalena

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on February 19, 2017, 02:10:42 PM
I think this is a great forum, and easy to moderate too because it requires almost no intervention besides ridding the place of people who register in order to spam. Conflicts are rare between regulars and even so they hardly ever escalate to the point when someone has to start issuing out warnings.

A typical "argument" might look something like: 

:hammock:

:lol:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Arturo

I just remembered that the homepage of the forum is the mission statement. This is just a wild guess here but maybe the site doesn't get many new members because that page is a deterrent in some way. As either people don't see the link to the forum or maybe people don't have the patience to go through the extra page to make a profile.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Recusant

Quote from: Arturo on February 24, 2017, 09:15:32 PM
I just remembered that the homepage of the forum is the mission statement. This is just a wild guess here but maybe the site doesn't get many new members because that page is a deterrent in some way. As either people don't see the link to the forum or maybe people don't have the patience to go through the extra page to make a profile.

Yes, that page needs updating, certainly. There is a security problem with it that will eventually be dealt with (it's not a problem for people that visit the page, rather a problem with a vulnerability that's being exploited to create spam pages using the domain name) and once that's done, one idea for it would be to have a "Latest Posts" area on it to show ongoing discussions.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Dave

Quote from: Recusant on February 24, 2017, 10:20:55 PM

Yes, that page needs updating, certainly. There is a security problem with it that will eventually be dealt with (it's not a problem for people that visit the page, rather a problem with a vulnerability that's being exploited to create spam pages using the domain name) and once that's done, one idea for it would be to have a "Latest Posts" area on it to show ongoing discussions.
Looks like a good plan, Recusant.

Unless one is entirely new to forums of the theism/sthrism type the basic "mission" is predictable and rules sre similar. Personally I don't bother with looking at them first, I take the "tone" of the forum from the actual posts - whether or not I have to join to get access. Getting "read only" access without actually joining is a bonus.

When I had a personal website I advertised the forums that I was on with a feed from a selection of the threads, indicating the breadth of matters covered,  as a tempter.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Gloucester on February 25, 2017, 07:00:17 AM
Quote from: Recusant on February 24, 2017, 10:20:55 PM

Looks like a good plan, Recusant.

Unless one is entirely new to forums of the theism/sthrism type the basic "mission" is predictable and rules sre similar. Personally I don't bother with looking at them first, I take the "tone" of the forum from the actual posts - whether or not I have to join to get access. Getting "read only" access without actually joining is a bonus.

When I had a personal website I advertised the forums that I was on with a feed from a selection of the threads, indicating the breadth of matters covered,  as a tempter.

That' all well and good and thanks for the input, and please continue to keep up the good work here Recusant, butt I think what this forum needs is more members who walk into fountains while posting.

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Father Bruno on February 25, 2017, 08:22:16 PM

That' all well and good and thanks for the input, and please continue to keep up the good work here Recusant, butt I think what this forum needs is more members who walk into fountains while posting.

Texting - the new drunk driving/walking.

Arturo

Just checking to make sure posts work. Don't mind this.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Biggus Dickus

What this place needs is more Franken-Hookers.

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Pasta Chick

I disagree. Zombie strippers are where it's at.

Magdalena

If we want more people to join the forum, we need to learn to do some of this shit right here.

We should give Tank one of those powerful weapons.  :notsure:
He could spread atheism at a much faster rate.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Dave

We are far, far too nice and civilised for many atheists-with-attitude!

I advise taking a look at the comparitively well populated "The Thinking Atheist" forum. There verbal violence, swearing, personal insult between members etc is commonplace. That, added to a scoring scheme involving "likes" and "reps", seems to be successful in recruiting.

But, unless you have the right genes for that atmosphere it palls and, perhaps, apalls.

But, for many who enjoy, er, vigorous discussion it seems to work.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74